Multiple Flute Stand?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Multiple Flute Stand?

Post by Harry »

Hail All,

Apologies if this has been dealt with already; I tried a search of the forum but was not successful:

Does anyone know of a good flute stand for several flutes of various bores (so that I don't have to lay them down on the floor on stage)? A portable solution would be doubly nice.

Thanks & Regards,

Harry.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
Denny

Re: Multiple Flute Stand?

Post by Denny »

there was this one from April this year viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75301

and this one from 2005 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32191

'bet ya didn't think to search on "quiver"... :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Many years ago a friend of mine made me this flute stand:

It's very portable; I just have two caveats:

1) because it's made of wood, and wood swells when wet, the dowels can be hard to remove at the end of an evening of playing.

2) the risk with this and any other kind of flute stand is that your flutes tend to face a stronger risk of being knocked over than they would if you just put them on a cloth (such as a towel) on a chair next to you. I find that I worry a lot less with my flutes on a chair than on the stand, especially when there are sound equipment folks or other musicians scurrying about.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I make single stands out of PVC by drilling a dowel-sized hole through the middle of two pieces in the shape of a cross. Then I push the dowel through. Works great! I don't see any reason you couldn't do the same thing with 3 pieces of PVC in the shape of a double cross and then drill some extra holes through the middle piece. Don't feel like posting a picture - sorry...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

a
Last edited by BrendanB on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I just bought 2 of these K&M tripod stands - 9.5mm and they are perfect for either of my Hammy flutes or any of my whistles.
There are other stands on this site, too.
http://www.music123.com/Woodwinds/Woodw ... 38.product
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Depending on keys etc, a PVC tube taped to the side of a microphone stand is quite good - put a drip-permeable base on the tube and use one tube per instrument. I suppose one could make versions of these lined with something soft, e.g. velvet, wide diameter pipe insulation foam tubes, etc. Or a ring of foam around the lip at the top? (If I used whistles then I'd probably just have on tube for all of the whistles.)

I have a tripod stand for my Boehm flute, but I never use it anymore - frankly it terrifies me these days.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I'm still fine with mine, cheap and nice solution
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71615

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

After I accidentally managed to kick all my flutes off their tripods at once on stage, I switched to this:

I put a black velvet table cloth onto it to make it look neat on stage. Has space for all my flutes and whistles, my drink, a towel and all sorts of more stuff. Not too portable, but very secure.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Flexismart wrote:I just bought 2 of these K&M tripod stands - 9.5mm and they are perfect for either of my Hammy flutes or any of my whistles.
There are other stands on this site, too.
http://www.music123.com/Woodwinds/Woodw ... 38.product
These fall over really easily. I used these for my silver flute for awhile - until I got tired of repairing the dents to the head! In addition, I kept having to have a repairman retighten the foot piece, as it weakened over time (every few weeks) from the wiggle-weight of the flute on the dowel. With a wooden flute, I don't want to think about possible accidents and short-long term effects...

My solution at the time was a long quiver-like basket, padded with foam, which I attached to my mike stand. The flute can be pulled out or dropped in quickly (I was most often on guitar, needed to grab the flute periodically). A cross foam set up could be added to allow for multiple flutes, so they don't bang each other.

Really, any dowel stand is a potential disaster - gigs are hurried things, and people on stage, including the flute owner themselves, move too quickly for safety. For laid-back shows, I think the small, stable, table idea is good - maybe some sort of ridge/edge can be added, to prevent something heading over the edge with a minor knock (especially if any of the flutes are keyless!). For more active gigs, a weighted basket(s), or fixed baskets/quivers, are probably your best bet.
seess
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by seess »

Harry wrote:

Apologies if this has been dealt with already; I tried a search of the forum but was not successful:

Does anyone know of a good flute stand for several flutes of various bores (so that I don't have to lay them down on the floor on stage)? A portable solution would be doubly nice.
You mean a rack? or something?
y-nought

Post by y-nought »

Mack Hoover had some interesting creations for sale. Mostly for whistles and it looks like only one might be left...(near bottom of page).

http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/seasonsale.html
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nice ideas & suggestions. Thanks. :thumbsup:
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

There's a fellow in (yes, this is for real) Soddy Daisy, Tennessee who used to make absolutely perfect folding/portable flute stands and sell them on ebay. They're basically shallow hinged wooden boxes that fold flat and lock open and have 8 different-diameter dowel rods. Folded they're about the size of a Thinkpad (though about 1/2" deep) and the dowels fit inside just so; open they've got a lovely big "untippable" footprint. I keep various flutes from Eb to Bb plus whistles of all persuasions on there and it's always been rock-solid. The thing is varnished so there's not too much of a moisture or swelling problem, either.

ANYWAY, I've given his name to several people but don't know if they've ever written him ... so now I've taken the bull by the horns and written him myself asking if he still makes the things. I'll let you know what he says!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

I like the modern Hercules stands. These hold three flutes, and you can change the bore diameters to fit everything from an alto flute, clarinet, piccolo etc.

These flutes are Francois de Villiers' modern ethnic flutes. They have similar bores to standard D key flutes or Boehm C concert flutes.