Pipers Grip

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Pipers Grip

Post by Ballygo »

On my old flute I made the switch to the so called normal flute grip. I found it was better in some respects, but difficult to roll the b note. The holes were smaller on this flute. Now I have a new Hammilton, with larger finger holes, and I find the pipers grip ( I am a piper), much easier. The tone needs working on but the ease of playing is great. Im strongly thinking of abandoning the normal grip in favor of the pipers. Im sorry now I didn`t get a more piper friendly key arrangement .

Ballygo
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Pipers Grip

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I come from piper's grip and now play with normal grip. I think normal grip has some nice advantages, and with time the B roll should come. But you're a piper, so do as you prefer, if you don't mind the keys (I do).
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Without getting into ancient worm-can territory of pros and cons of different ways to hold a flute (not, EVER, "grip"!!!! :poke:) or telling what you personally "should" ultimately do, I offer this for your consideration:

If you are doing "normal" hold correctly, there should not be any issue with A or B rolls - they should be just as easily available as in a pipers' type hold. If you're struggling with them, you haven't got the hold right. Simples. Get it right and the full finger-fluency will be there, and there will very likely be other ongoing advantages over other holds. :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I think it's called the "piper's grip" in part because of Seamus Ennis's famous little ditty about the pipes that says, "then you must learn the grip." See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMm-WVt6RQA

There are plenty of very accomplished Irish flute players who use the piper's grip or hold or whatever you want to call it. But I don't think any of them use the keys very much. I started out playing with the piper's grip but switched to the standard flute hold because there was no way I could hit the Bb key, and there were a number of tunes I wanted to play that had Bb accidentals. The long C key was awkward (but not impossible) to hit as well. I didn't have much problem reaching the other keys, but all of them are easier and more comfortable to reach using the standard flute hold.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

On the recorder I will regularly switch from fingertips to flat-fingering on tunes where it feels better one way or the other (and will sometimes switch in the middle of a set). Why should you have to decide that one is The Only Way?
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

Jack. I do the same my self switching from one to the other. I stuck with the normall grip for 3 years now and still cant to a short roll or long roll on b. But with pipers grip , no problem. I do notice a difference in tone when using normal , in that it`s a bit more solid.

B
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Are you using the second joints on your fingers to cover the holes?

That's what pipers do, so fluthing in this fashion is properly called piper's hold. If you're straight-fingering but covering with the first joints, as I do, there's nothing piperesque about it. I call that the Irish hold.

Rob
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Without getting into ancient worm-can territory of pros and cons of different ways to hold a flute (not, EVER, "grip"!!!! :poke:)
It's GRIP, for heaven's sake! Personally, I use my own patented death grip © . That way, there's no chance I'll ever have to learn how to roll on a B. To quote the Wizard of Os(westry) "simples"!

:D
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

"It's GRIPE for heaven's sake!" After all, it is the Chiff and Fipple. :lol:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

Rob. Im using the first joint to cover hole one, hole two is more on to the second joint, and hole 3 is also straight finger but above first joint more on the pad of the finger.

b
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

I just did a bit of a search on the net, and some great players are using this straight fingered method. Michael MacGoldirck, John Wynne, Eamonn De Barra, Patsey Hanley, Alan Dogherty . Sorry about the spelling of the names.

An impressive line up.

B
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Paul McGrattan as well, and we could probably come up with at least a half-dozen more.
dhamilingu

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi all,

As someone who uses piper's grip/Irish grip/piper's hold/Irish hold, I enjoyed watching this video of three excellent flute players all using a straight-fingered approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU07LkzSvE

Cheers,

Peter
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

Peter. Thats just lovely, what a treat, wonderful.I read they were playing tunes from Josie McDermot, I actually had the honor of playing with Josie Mcdermot in the trades club in Sligo 1978 aprox. I was playing pipes then. There were only a few people playing that night.

B
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:...... there's no chance I'll ever have to learn how to roll on a B.
Well, just as well - you might get stung.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads