The Davy Spillane sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

The Davy Spillane sound

Post by Mikethebook »

I've just started to learn the low whistle on the new and wonderful Kerry Optima, so good for beginners and high whistle players. It makes a great sound. As a beginner I'm struggling to understand all the whistle terminology regarding tone/sound. I just know that once I'm a little more confident, I'd to get a whistle that has that distinctive Davy Spillane Riverdance ethereal sound but since he makes his own I'm wondering what low whistle makes out there are closest to capturing that sound however you want to describe it. It would also be helpful to know HOW to describe that sound accurately in whistle parlance. Thanks.
Denny

Re: The Davy Spillane sound

Post by Denny »

there are tons of stuff about DS & his whistles in the archives...

alas, the search is dodgy. I'd try Google cut & paste this: "Davy Spillane" whistle site:forums.chiffandfipple.com ah, 3,920 results!!! ignore the 1st one :D

if you would be so kind as to reduce it to a managable size, with index, by Christmas - I'd think it would be a lovely prezzy for the whistle forum.

Sticky even?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

A bit of the 'ethereal' quality you hear in Spillane's studio recordings comes from reverb effects added in post production.
It has been said that Davy plays an older 'big hole' model Overton low D, and I'm inclined to believe this for reasons I won't go into detail here.
I'll just say that I have a 'big hole' model Overton low D made by Colin Goldie, and with a bit of reverb added it sounds just like Spillane's studio recordings.
In fact, I can play along with the CD tracks even without any post production effects, and my playing blends in with Davy's almost seamlessly.
I'm not sure if Colin still makes the 'big hole' model per special request anymore, but no harm in asking him if you're really looking to duplicate the Spillane sound.
Be warned though, the 'big hole' model really does have BIG HOLES!
My hands are quite small, and it's all I can do to manage the necessary finger spread and hole coverage.
Not a whistle I'd recommend to a beginner, but one of the most rewarding you'll ever play, and well worth the extra effort.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the interesting reply. In research, I discovered Colin's web-site and like the fact that he can tailor a whistle to the buyers requirements. I've not seen that elsewhere. That would certainly tempt me. My hands are big I think (8 inches from wrist to top of middle finger) but fingers slender so I'm not sure how I would cope with big holes but can you tell me what difference they make? What would the tone lose by being smaller?

Thanks again.

Mike
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mikethebook wrote:that distinctive Davy Spillane Riverdance ethereal sound
Otherwise known as "reverb". :wink:

Seriously ... it's not the whistle. It's the player plus a ton of studio effects.

Any low whistle, plus 7 years of practice, will give you the sound you're after. Master what you have before embarking upon a snark hunt.

As for Spillane making his own whistle ... let's not go there. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Mikethebook wrote:...I'm not sure how I would cope with big holes but can you tell me what difference they make? What would the tone lose by being smaller?
Bigger holes impart a fuller and richer tone than smaller holes. They also make bending notes and half-holing easier.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks. That's a great help.

Mike
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

MTGuru, I take your point about studio effects for his album but check out his sound on something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhEYoA5X ... re=related where he plays in a studio after an interview. He may have had access to some reverb but much much else I don't imagine but the sound is still there.

Mike
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mikethebook wrote:MTGuru, I take your point about studio effects for his album but check out his sound on something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhEYoA5X ... re=related where he plays in a studio after an interview. He may have had access to some reverb but much much else I don't imagine but the sound is still there.

Mike
You're kidding, right? There's absolutely masses of reverb on that clip plus you can hear that there's a fair bit of electronic manipulation over and above that (though I wouldn't know precisely what because I'm not a sound engineer and don't know enough about such stuff). Don't get me wrong - the guy's great. But that sound on that clip was well and truly 'treated'. It's hard to disentangle the actual whistle sound from that clip.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

You can get some of that sound by seeking out places to play that are as acoustically "live" as possible. Stairwells, churches, parking garages, empty gyms, etc. It's a treat when you discover a good one.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:You can get some of that sound by seeking out places to play that are as acoustically "live" as possible. Stairwells, churches, parking garages, empty gyms, etc. It's a treat when you discover a good one.

Best wishes,
Jerry
That would produce a nicer, more natural sound than the electronic version, though. Much nicer.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mikethebook wrote:MTGuru, I take your point about studio effects for his album but check out his sound on something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhEYoA5X ... re=related where he plays in a studio after an interview. He may have had access to some reverb but much much else I don't imagine but the sound is still there.
benhall.1 wrote:You're kidding, right? There's absolutely masses of reverb on that clip plus you can hear that there's a fair bit of electronic manipulation over and above that (though I wouldn't know precisely what because I'm not a sound engineer and don't know enough about such stuff). Don't get me wrong - the guy's great. But that sound on that clip was well and truly 'treated'. It's hard to disentangle the actual whistle sound from that clip.
Well, there is a lot of reverb in that performance. Judging by the proximity of the whistle to the mic, I'd have to say that it is surely reverb applied through processing and not the acoustics of the room. As for additional processing, I'd wager that there is some compression and nothing more. The vibrato is all Spillane. Davy remains close to the mic throughout the performance. And while there is noticeable difference in the dynamic levels between the lowest pitches and the highest, it's not what you would hear live in the room. So the top end is compressed to even out the difference with the bottom end. (And then the overall volume level can be lifted) Pretty standard stuff actually. Compression doesn't alter the sound of the whistle in terms of filtering overtones or adding anything. It is fairly transparent when applied properly.

I've met Spillane (years ago) and heard him play in person. I'll repeat pretty much what MTGuru said. The most important piece of equipment used to achieve the sound in that video is Davy Spillane.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Perhaps it's my ears, Feadoggie. But I just can't hear the whistle in that. With so much reverb and other processing - compression or whatever - my brain just can't unscramble it. And, as I implied in answer to Jerry's point, the thing is, to me, that electronic reverb doesn't sound remotely like natural reverb. I can cope with natural reverb. I can cope with a very small amount of electronic reverb. But the sort of levels of artificial reverb on that television studio clip just mask the sound of the instrument, to me. I wouldn't know what it sounds like.

Now, I've sat next to Davy Spillane when he's been playing, both pipes and whistle - no-one else playing, everyone wrapt and listening to every note. So I know what he can sound like. But I wouldn't know from listening to that clip.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Jerry Freeman wrote:You can get some of that sound by seeking out places to play that are as acoustically "live" as possible. Stairwells, churches, parking garages, empty gyms, etc. It's a treat when you discover a good one.
Bathrooms and kitchens... which don't give the same sense of space, but are still the most flattering acoustics in most houses!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for all the posts. Obviously Davy Spillane's consummate skill plus the added effects make up a good percentage of the sound. Nevertheless, there will be certain whistles that contribute to that sound, maybe Overtons for example, and others that would give a different sound e.g. MK Pros and Susatos. I think in writing the request, I was seeking to find the type of whistle that would that, given the skill and the effects, give a Spillane-like tone.