Sweet non-chiffy whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Sweet non-chiffy whistles

Post by eedbjp »

I'm interested in finding a sweet sounding, not very breathy or chiffy whistle but not in wood. Sounds pretty picky, but I think it exists. Any whistles fit this description?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Thomaston

Re: Sweet non-chiffy whistles

Post by Thomaston »

I once had a narrow bore aluminum Burke that was purer than any other whistle I've played.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

It exists in so many places I don't know where to start.
In no particular order:

Sweet Delrin
Burke anything
Sindt
Copeland
Thornton
Harper

There's plenty more.

How many do you want?

ecohawk

P.S. Sorry for the snippy sounding answer but seriously, there are a lot of whistles that fit this description.
Last edited by ecohawk on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Have to agree with Thomaston -- a brass Burke is about the purest metal whistle I've played. However, I just got one of Jerry Freeman's Bluebird whistles. Sweet & fairly pure is a very good description of the one in my possession. Definitely a keeper.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

another vote for any Burke. they just don't get more pure than that.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
maki

Post by maki »

I've have a used Susato, it's not very chiffy.
In expensive and rugged too.
I don't know if I'd call it sweet.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The sweetest whistle I've ever played is the old c1980 Feadog that is still my #1 D whistle. Jerry Freeman's "tweaked" Feadogs play very much like it. The second octave is incredibly easy and pure and sweet, but the low octave is still full and round.

Narrow-b0re Burkes are very similar, a lovely pure sweet second octave.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
robert schuler

Post by robert schuler »

I have a circa. 1981 Oak D... USA made. I think the new ones are from GB. so I can't vouch for new models. But if you want a clean clear whistle tone give the Oak a try. They are a bit tempermental to play but if the new models are like mine you will love it... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

If I may, I make a $25 Ghost Whistle might be something you'd like. The plastic and especially the clear pipe is not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes a great pure sound.

Here's a customer in Brazil who has recorded a number of YouTube videos that do a pretty good job of showing what the whistle sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_BVPJDAdo

Best,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

eedbjp wrote:Any whistles fit this description?
Dixon DX203.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I'd have to agree with the Burke suggestions, it really doesn't get much purer than an aluminum Burke.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Add Mack Hoover's whistles to the mix. My Burke narrow bore is close, but my White Cap has the edge. But it does have a lower volume.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83907

Ronnie has a Kerry Songbird for sale. They're no longer made by Phil Hardy. I've had one for about 4 years and it's an outstanding flutey sounding high D whistle.
I bought it originally because I had a hard time finding a whistle to play against a Bugari accordion - and this one proved to be perfect - in tune, not chiffy and very responsive.

I'd recommend the Kerry Songbird - if you could find one.
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

I play my Mack Hoover black cap D whistle every day - and it's the only whistle I can say that about. It is sweeter than a Burke narrow bore, and just as clear and stable, but it still boasts a nice amount of chiff that is well proportioned to it's tone - which is what I love about it. It is, and has been for a few years now, my most-favored whistle in my entire collection. I also have a black cap on a Gen C tube that is the best C whistle I have ever encountered. I have culled a lot of high end whistles out of my collection over the past couple of years, but I have never even considered parting with any of the 3 Hoovers I own.

I would also agree with the comments on the Oak whistle. It is my second most-played D whistle. It does take more breath control, as Bob suggested, but it rewards generously. I have an older one... honestly don't know how old exactly (12 years maybe), and I bought another about 2 years ago when I misplaced the first, and I've had and lost or given away at least 3 others I can think of over the years. The most-recent one is very close to the original, but not quite as sweet in the upper octave. Actually, I just found the original a couple of months ago, and I have been very happy to have it again. I think that, as with any other make of mass-produced whistles, the playing characteristics are likely to vary slightly from one example to another; although the differences don't seem to be as pronounced as with Gen, Feadog, and Walton's. However, I'm not sure that an Oak is what the OP is after... it's definitely a "trad" whistle at heart. I have thought about buying another and sending it to Jerry Freeman to see what sort of tweaking interpretation he might come up with for one...
Playing, not paying.
robert schuler

Post by robert schuler »

One theory I have as to why my old Oak whistle has a pure whistle sound could be the heavy weight of the whistle. I don't know if new models are the same but the older models are heavily plated with nickel. Perhaps the density of the body absorbs lower frequency vibrations so only the clear high freq. is heard. Everybody gave good recommendations but each of us has our own definition of what "sweet" is... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats