Playing with scottish bagpipes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Playing with scottish bagpipes

Post by LorenzoFlute »

So, are Bb fifes of Eb piccolos loud enough to be hard at all next to a (single) bagpipe? Has anyone got any experience in this?
I'm thinking about it since a bagpiper I know brought his instrument at a demonstration a few days ago...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
JackCampin

Re: Playing with scottish bagpipes

Post by JackCampin »

The only melody instrument I have ever tried that can be audible against a Highland pipe going full blast is a soprano ocarina - I have old Mathieu metal ones in A flat and B flat which can play in the right key. I suspect a sopranino zurna might also work (I forget the Turkish word for it).
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If in danger or in doubt....

Unless you play bombarde, don't even think about it - run or you'll be well and truly bagad! :D The Ghastly Howling Banshees will get you! :twisted:

More seriously, I daresay a good Bb band flute/fife might compete tolerably with a single GHB, especially in the middle and top registers and an Eb picc would penetrate still better. You'd probably find that, even against a number of pipes, if you went a couple of fields/streets away you'd be able to hear the little flute(s) well enough, but maybe not so much close to.

A piper brought his pipes to demonstrate the pipes to interested parties or s/he brought them along on a political demonstration?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

A piper brought his pipes to demonstrate the pipes to interested parties or s/he brought them along on a political demonstration?
Oh sorry, it was at a political demonstration :wink:

bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

I would be amazed if you could hear any wind instrument other that brass against highland pipes, which produce 100 - 110 decibels at 1m.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Do the pipes usually play in Bb just intonation at A=440? Just wondering about being in tune with each other and all that.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

As long as the flute is mike and amplified well it can certainly hold its own up to a pipe band. I've seen Matt Molloy do this with a Bb flute in blackwood, 5 keys with tuning slide. I wonder who the maker of that flute is....

In Galician music the Requinta, a type of one or two keyed flute, is commonly played with the pipes and it stands out, unamplified. When the pipes are in C the Requinta is usually in G, or for Bb, the Requinta in F. Here is a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Z8GNOU ... re=related

Casey
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Historically fifes were heard above cannonade-fire. . .even at a distance of several miles. Piccolo can routinely generate 110 Db. in the second and third octave. Hence the US Nat'l Flute Assoc. advising the use of earplugs for practice. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

The GHB play at about A470 (if I remember correctly), A440s are made but are the exception.
Also your flute will need to be able to play the tone bellow the tonic ,Ab for a Bb tune.(a common feature in the music)
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Most modern pipes sit most comfortably at sharp of Bb concert but it is relatively simple for a decent piper to tune to concert Bb. A fife may be heard at some distances but close up I doubt it. The pipes are loaded with harmonics reaching far higher than the human ear can hear. You find that these harmonics swamp the tone of other instruments. Mic it up and of course you'll be fine. Bb flute or fife is not what you're looking for - an Eb is the ideal flute/fife/whistle to play with pipes are the scale of Bb mix is brightest and easiest on an Eb.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

Ask if your pipper has any small pipes.
kenny

Post by kenny »

I manage fine with an Eb Generation whistle.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

Check out "The Tannahill Weavers". Incidentally, I heard recently that their flute and whistle player, Phil Smillie, has nearly completed a solo album - should be worth looking out for.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Of course when miked all is simple, but it looks like an Eb piccolo will do well enough even without amplification. Now I'll have to try get one on ebay at less than 50 euros :D

drewr

Post by drewr »

Othannen wrote:
Of course when miked all is simple, but it looks like an Eb piccolo will do well enough even without amplification. Now I'll have to try get one on ebay at less than 50 euros :D

Yeah, then you'll have to learn all four bagpipe tunes :twisted: