sticky pad - any advice?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Michel
antispam: No

sticky pad - any advice?

Post by Michel »

hi all!
I recently acquired a lovely Eb flute which have a sticky G# pad. Do you have any advice to reduce the stickiness?

thanks beforehand

M
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: sticky pad - any advice?

Post by plunk111 »

Are you sure it's the pad? Try removing the key (it's easy) and scraping out the channel in the block with a toothpick. If your flute is post-mounted, forget this advice!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I found with a piccolo that I acquired that the keys suddenly started working properly after I had removed them and thoroughly cleaned the keys and the springs as well as the channel. I'd go with Pat's idea of a toothpick, but just add to be very careful when using it and make sure it's a wooden toothpick and not a plastic one, which is more likely to damage the wood, IMO.

With the pad itself, you can clean it off with almond oil, provided you use a tiny amount and clean it off thoroughly afterwards. Well, it's worked for me, anyhow. (Cue for Jem to throw his hands up in horror :poke: )
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Oil on the pads??? Don't we remove the keys when oiling the flute to prevent this?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

If it is actually the pad and not the channel, take a thin cigarette paper and drag it between the pad and opening while gently pressing the pad key down. Do this a few times. Should remove any grime on the pad itself.
Arbo
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Othannen wrote:Oil on the pads??? Don't we remove the keys when oiling the flute to prevent this?
Yes we do. (Well, actually, I can never be bothered, but I know you're supposed to.) I was envisaging the sort of state my piccolo was in. Dreadful gunk, on pads as well. A TINY amount of almond oil helped me clean them. Don't know whether Jem knows I did this ... :oops:
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Othannen wrote:Oil on the pads??? Don't we remove the keys when oiling the flute to prevent this?
I put a little piece of plastic under the keys when I oil - bread bags work great.
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

Music stores sell small pads of paper -- similar to cigarette rolling papers -- for cleaning pads. The most effective kind are powdered (with what, I couldn't say).
Michel

Post by Michel »

flute is pin mounted, it's definitely not the key action.. the key pad tends to stick to the wood.
I'll give the smoking paper trick a try and let you know..
Michel

Post by Michel »

still sticky unfortunately..the pad looks blue-ish, I would like to remove the key to inspect the pad..
there's any tip I should know before I try to remove the key? that's the first time I need to remove a key on a pin mounted flute.

thanks in advance
M
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

You could try one of the little alcohol swabs on it - works on my silver flute. Just don't get a lot on there!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

It's pillar mounted, is it? Are the pins (axles) just pins or are they little screws? Check with a magnifying glass before removing. If they're just pins, my suggestion if you do want to remove it is to get a pair of flat-bladed, parallel pliers. Not too expensive and will last forever. Won't damage the pin if you use one of those. If they're screwed in, you'll need a set of jewellers' screwdrivers. They're cheap too, and will also last forever.

Having thought, it's a modern flute, yes? So it's almost certainly just pins as the axles.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

What are the pads made of? If they are blue, they could be foam, and the rubber is breaking down.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Try putting a bit of talcum powder in the pad, very little amount. It will work for sure.
Regards,
S.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I've not had good luck with talcum powder on sticky pads; however, I have used zinc stearate powder with good success.

The last time i bought zinc stearate--years ago, even a small jar lasts forever--it was inexpensive and readily available in hardware stores.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard