Delrin flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Delrin flute

Post by Doug_Tipple »

drewr wrote:I also have a Martin Doyle as well as a Dave Copley Delrin. Both are excellent instruments. The only complaint I have with the Delrin (and I'm sure this is applies to any Delrin flute) is that I find it gets "slippery" on my lower lip and it's therefore difficult to maintain an accurate embouchure for long periods of time. I find the flute changes position, especially if I'm playing in a warm room. Drives me crazy sometimes. Anyone else have this problem?
I have a Chinese concert flute with a gold-plated lip plate. Over time the gold plating cracked and came off where my lip touches the lip plate. To remedy this I use a piece of masking tape to cover the area where the plating has come off. I actually like the way the textured surface of the masking tape feels against my lip more than I did the smooth plated surface. Of course, it is easy to change the tape whenever you want to, especially when patches of green begin to appear under the tape. Yes, I know that masking tape on the lip plate won't win any prizes for cosmetic appearance, but, functionally, it works just fine.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Blue painters masking tape can give that "Patsy Hanley" quality to one's flute playing.

It's true.

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I wouldn't have to worry about the micro-thin gold plating coming off of the lip plate if I could afford a lip plate made from solid gold. Nina Perlove, a concert flautist and teacher, recently purchased a flute with a 14 carat gold flute body, and she shows off her new flute in a youtube video. She is playing some of the same pieces that I warm up with. Not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKR5BOgd ... ture=share
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

14 karat?

Really now. Perhaps it's the love and care that one puts into the build of such an expensive material that makes more the difference that the material itself that and the enjoyment one gets from playing "a golden flute".

Honestly I think her flute just goes to 11.

Wicked good playing though.

She'd probably sound just as good blowing a garden hose.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Aanvil wrote:14 karat?
OK, OK. It's karats for gold and carats for diamonds.
Karat is a measure of purity, and carat is a measure of weight.
It's hard to keep things straight around here.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Aanvil wrote:14 karat?
OK, OK. It's karats for gold and carats for diamonds.
Karat is a measure of purity, and carat is a measure of weight.
It's hard to keep things straight around here.
Ah. I wondered why it was 'K' for carat. Now I know.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Rats! I've just looked it up. Confusingly, it's not 'karat' in the UK. Here, the measure of purity of gold is in 'carats'. That would explain why I've never used the 'k' spelling, then.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Aanvil wrote:
kkrell wrote:I've still got this one for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=80374&hilit=Cochran

Kevin Krell

I know I probably shouldn't comment but that's under priced by almost half Kevin.
Just out of curiousity.. you mean the flute is worth $860 second hand? How much are they new? I have never seen a new unkeyed Delrin flute cost that much, let alone a second hand one.
(again, no offense or anything, just curious)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:
Aanvil wrote:
kkrell wrote:I've still got this one for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=80374&hilit=Cochran

Kevin Krell

I know I probably shouldn't comment but that's under priced by almost half Kevin.
Just out of curiousity.. you mean the flute is worth $860 second hand? How much are they new? I have never seen a new unkeyed Delrin flute cost that much, let alone a second hand one.
(again, no offense or anything, just curious)
I think Aanvil meant that as an approximate, hyperbolic price for a newly made polymer flute, and perhaps indicative of its perceived value as an instrument.

Note that some flute makers charge as much, or nearly, as wood flutes for a similar construction and ornamentation. For instance, in the whistle world, Chris Abell charges the same for Delrin as for blackwood, as I think does Paul Busman. Some would probably like to charge more, given the wear and tear on tooling, and the different turning characteristics.

Good wood keyless flutes often go for $1100-$1700. However, it's also not unusual for polymer flutes to sell for less, given that there are usually no losses due to material defects, and faster overall completion times because there is no seasoning time required.

Jon's flutes have the full work-up, tuning slide, rings, texturing to a wood-like appearance, etc. Certain other makers utilize designs that often involve no, or simplified slides, no rings, fewer sections, and possibly fewer hours and care in their creation. I'm not sure how all those Delrin flutes measure up against each other, but my Jon C. blackwood keyless is superior to others that are twice the price.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

^^^ This.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
annaliese

Post by annaliese »

Thank you for all the great information and help! Does anyone have any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of delrin v. polymer?

annaliese
chas

Post by chas »

Delrin is a polymer. All Delrin (acetyl) flutes are polymer flutes; not all polymer flutes are Delrin. I'm not sure the particular polymer makes any difference; I think makers work with whatever they're comfortable machining.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Delrin flutes can cost the same that wooden ones. Just ask some very well known luthiers, like Mr. Watson or Mr. Hamilton. They told me that these flutes sound exactly as the instruments made of wood.
Grahnwolf

Post by Grahnwolf »

I just wanted to throw in another vote for the Copley delrin. I just got one in C and it's absolutely fantastic in tone, feel and look.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I want one of Copley's 8 key delrin flutes! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon