Greetings From A Newbie

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Greetings From A Newbie

Post by Mr Ed »

Hi!

I've been playing bass for 22 years and the pennywhistle for about 4 months. The info found on this site and forum has been a great help to a newbie. After quitting a 20 year smoking habit 2+ years ago, that Walton's Irish Whistle is finally getting some use!

I'm also becoming addicted to building Low Tech Whistles. Many thanks to Guido Gonzato for the instructions. As a family caregiver, it's nice to have projects that are affordable and provide a little time to myself occasionally. Playing an instrument I've made has been very rewarding also.

Happy Whistling,
Ed
CelesteGB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Greetings From A Newbie

Post by CelesteGB »

Welcome!

A long time ago I used to play clarinet and am using the whistle to cut back and quit smoking. Grats to you!

Celeste
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mr Ed wrote: Playing an instrument I've made has been very rewarding also.
Hear hear!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Hello and welcome
Congratulations of quiting smoking, whistle making, and music making!

Don't neglect to take care of yourself. Caregivers are at risk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caregiver_syndrome
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks for the welcome. :D

Maki, thanks for the link about caregiver syndrome. I've read a little about it & checked into getting some help, but there isn't much, if anything, to be found in NY. Until there is, music has always been one of the things that gets me through rough patches.

Quitting smoking was one of the smartest things I've done. Starting smoking was one of the dumbest things I've done.
I guess that makes me...average now.
Yay for mediocrity! :P
CelesteGB wrote:Welcome!

A long time ago I used to play clarinet and am using the whistle to cut back and quit smoking. Grats to you!

Celeste
I tried the whistle when I was still smoking, but it was nothing but a fancy goose call in my hands. Haven't seen any geese lately, so that's a good sign of improvement.
CelesteGB

Post by CelesteGB »

Well, you give me inspiration. Once my kids get back in school, I can concentrate on the whistle. My dogs had actually gotten used to the whistle but the few times I've had a chance over the summer to get back into the swing causes one of them to start howling :o

Celeste
Denny

Post by Denny »

Hay! :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

CelesteGB wrote:Well, you give me inspiration. Once my kids get back in school, I can concentrate on the whistle. My dogs had actually gotten used to the whistle but the few times I've had a chance over the summer to get back into the swing causes one of them to start howling :o

Celeste
I'm sure they'll be used to it again in no time.
Denny wrote:Hay! :D
:lol:
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Mr Ed wrote: Playing an instrument I've made has been very rewarding also.
Hear hear!
I'll second that! Congrats on quitting the smoking. Whistle playing is great respiratory therapy!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Congrats on the quitting smoking. I'm done over 13 years and though I have no desire anymore at all, a Salem advertisement will still catch my eye a little too long and I occasionally have dreams that I smoke a whole pack, 20 cigs in my mouth, all at once. I spent the first few months saying over and over, "Maybe cigarettes aren't your best friend." Seeing as how they gave me all kinds of health problems and all.

Family caregivers are becoming a lost tradition. Feel very special, even on the not so good days.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Mr Ed wrote:Thanks for the welcome. :D
Quitting smoking was one of the smartest things I've done. Starting smoking was one of the dumbest things I've done.
I guess that makes me...average now.
Yay for mediocrity! :P
Maybe you are getting smarter as time passes? :D
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

brewerpaul wrote: I'll second that! Congrats on quitting the smoking. Whistle playing is great respiratory therapy!
It is great for the lungs. Although after listening to Mary Bergin I think I have a long way to go both in skill and lung capacity. :boggle:

Mutepointe, 13 years smoke free... that's great!!!
mutepointe wrote: Family caregivers are becoming a lost tradition. Feel very special, even on the not so good days.
A nursing home, or whatever new name they're calling it now, would be an absolute last resort. It's heart-wrenching to see people there that have no family to visit them. I've had many times when residents would reach out and touch my arm when visiting Mom while she was in one for physical rehabilitation. The nurses said that many do that that don't have any visitors.
Jaime wrote: Maybe you are getting smarter as time passes? :D
It seems that the more birthdays celebrated, the more the realization of how much there is yet to be learned.
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Greetings Mr. Ed--did you know that the song from the TV series is a jig?? Perhaps you could learn to play that!!

Congrats too on quitting smoking. I did so after 20+ years back in 1994. Best thing I ever did...it was also the dumbest thing I ever did as well..except for getting married to my first husband...oh well....

Anyway...I'm a full time caregiver to my current husband who is wheelchair bound with severe rheumatoid arthritis. There are many rough spots and many times I need to stay in with him due to his health. Thank you to the person who posted the caregiver syndrome...I will watch out for that as well. It's been hard--finding him and then all our plans and dreams of traveling..dashed for the most part. But I like to look on the brighter side of things. My music helps me do that.

I currently play the whistle, piano and most recently the fiddle. (talk about a challenge!!). But, I love Irish Trad and other types of folk music, so that's my concentration. I have a Jerry Freeman Blackbird which I absolutely LOVE!!!! We live in an extremely rural area, so no other whistlers (or fiddler's either) out there...I use the internet exclusively. A great source of tunes is www.thesession.org, also check out RyanDunsSJ's Channel on You Tube...he has wonderful tutorials.

Take care and check in often!! Keep up the music...and not smoking!!!!

Nancy
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Greetings Mr. Ed--did you know that the song from the TV series is a jig?? Perhaps you could learn to play that!!
I didn't know that. Maybe it will be added to the list of tunes to learn!
Anyway...I'm a full time caregiver to my current husband who is wheelchair bound with severe rheumatoid arthritis.
Mom has the same thing, along with osteoarthritis. She's not in a wheelchair, but has had 1 hip and 1 knee replacement. The other knee is probably due for it also. Right now, what's really causing her to lose independence is the multiple eye problems, one of which is made worse by the RA.

It's nice to meet another caregiver. It's not an easy thing to do, but well worth it.

I'm in a rural area also. There are fiddlers around, but many of them are bluegrass players. Most aren't welcoming of electric basses, so the tin whistle probably wouldn't be either. If it isn't a commonly seen and heard instrument in the genre they want nothing to do with it. Oh well, it's their loss!
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Hi Mr. Ed!

This is how I get around playing with other people....I buy cd's and play with them! Sometimes they are too fast for me, but there are various programs you can get for free to slow them down. There are oodles of great songs on Itunes--I put them all in my Ipod and play away with them!

Yes, I am in a void here as well. I am lucky though to have a fiddle teacher who is in the area. She agrees, there isn't enough outlets for us. Hang in there...there are sooo many songs you can play on the tin whistle...be it Irish, or folk or holiday songs. You will pick them up.

Oh...also you can get wonderful tutorials that have cd's you can play along with. Check out www.thewhistleshop.com They are located in IL and have alot of tutorials for whistles. There are alot out there with cd's. Many song books now have cd's with them as well.

Whistle a happy tune!!

Nancy

PS: Don't forget the Clips and Snips portion of this website. I have learned alot from them as well!!!