mp3 portable live recorder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

i just went out to buy a port.mini disc recorder and found there's no difference in price to this mp3 port. live recorder: rip flash trio,there's many differend place where they sell them, here's just one/ http://www.digitallyunique.net/digitall ... io128.html
i heard this was the only good mp3 live recorder at the moment.
has anyone else read about the sound quality, and if it's easy to use, compared to a mini disc. you can use a good mic. like the sony ecm-ms 907 with it. one things certain, you'II never have to buy anymore minidics.
Lou Farant

Post by Lou Farant »

I own an md recorder and love it way more than my mp3 device. With the mp3 you may never buy another disc, but you'll upload and download forever. On the road with the md,if I run out of time, I can just pop in another disc and not be tethered to my computer.
Damien

Post by Damien »

i personally love my minidisc recorder. i don't know about direct quality comparisons, but minidisc on the highest setting would probably beat out anything that mp3 recorder could record at.

however, if you plan on doing stuff with computers. i believe the openmg software does not let you import anything you do not have in your music library already. which is pretty rediculous in my opinion. i think the open source group that's working on minidisc software will let you import stuff digitally. who knows.

you could always record using the optical out on the minidisc though. i didn't look at the mp3 thing but i doubt it has an optical out? maybe it does, who knwos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Damien on 2003-02-26 16:46 ]</font>
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

I'm pretty happy with my Sharp MD recorder. I took it to Japan a couple of years ago and recorded about 4 hours of sound at places I visited, plus another 4 hours of travel diary entries.

Popping in another $2.00 disc is pretty easy for more capacity.

The Pogo thingy looks pretty fun too! I think ultimately, your intended use for the recordings would be the major thing to consider when choosing the hardware.
Caj

Post by Caj »

The problem with MiniDiscs is the restricted format. I have several MDs of lessons and concerts (I had permission!) which I would like to transfer onto CDs.

But, Sony does not want people transferring digital data _off_ of MiniDiscs. Digital data flows one way, into the recorder. The only exceptions are very expensive MD decks with SPDIF output.

An MP3 recorder will let you access the data stored in it, rather than just letting you listen to it through headphones.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I must be living in the stone age (1990's)

I didn't even know about these things.
I wish I had one when I went to New Orleans.

What's a good brand of MP3 recorder?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

On 2003-02-27 02:03, Caj wrote:
The problem with MiniDiscs is the restricted format. I have several MDs of lessons and concerts (I had permission!) which I would like to transfer onto CDs.

But, Sony does not want people transferring digital data _off_ of MiniDiscs. Digital data flows one way, into the recorder. The only exceptions are very expensive MD decks with SPDIF output.
You can still transfer the minidisc contents onto the computer in real time using the analog (headphone) outlet into your sound card line-in. This is an anolog transfer and theoretically has some degradation of the sound. I, myself, couldn't really tell the difference. I think you need to playback on a good stereo to tell there's a loss of sound quality. So, you can transfer onto a regular cd from the computer.
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2003-02-27 15:05 ]</font>
Tantus

Post by Tantus »

I myself own an Archos Jukebox Recorder with a 15 gig hard drive. Spacewise I really don't think you ought to worry, even with just a gig left you can record about 12 hours worth of stuff, depening on quality and stereo setting. Plus you can carry your mp3's around and play them wherever you want, use the device as a secondary hard drive, and not worry about extra media. The archos comes with a usb2 connection which is extremely fast, if your computer supports it. Mine doesnt but even so it's 'fast enough'. Other devices are out there, like the ipod or rio device which are nice. The ipod is expensive though and I dont know if it can record. I got the Jukebox for $229 -$50 rebate at circuit city. It also has a community of people developing an alternate operating system called 'rockbox' which is open source and improves upon the original, in my opinion. If you are tech inclined you can also open it up and put a larger drive in it, I plan to save my nickels and put a 60 gig drive in mine.

Nick
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

thanks ye all for the many,many replies. i heard the rip flash trio was about the best live mp3 recorder if you use a good external mic. for live music.,like the sony ECM-MS 907.
but i'd a hectic week and bought a sony 707 mini disc with USB. now my intuition is better and i realize my mistake in not going for the mp3. if i don't need this minidisk alot(buying disk all the time),my choice was write. i recommendthe rip flash (the type in the adress of my first post)to everyone who makes plenty live recordings. tantus your choice might be better for space, but is it as good for live recording?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lixnaw on 2003-02-28 16:13 ]</font>
Tantus

Post by Tantus »

lixnaw,

Pretty good, though since the mic is internal you hear the harddrive spinning up occassionally. It does have a jack for an external mic though as well as input spdif jack.

Nick