OT But fun..... How do you measure...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Last night on the refernce desk here at the library, I got a call from a grandmother who was a little distraught in trying to help her grandaughter in Grade 2 with her homework assignment.

The grandaughter had to answer the question:

How do you measure an elephant?

As a librarian my first questions were, by height, by weight, by width. The grandmother replied by height.

My first inclination was "Very carefully", the grandmother thought of that one also.

So whistlers do you want to try the question.

How do you measure and elephant? And remember it is at a grade 2 level.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
mdutr0
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mdutr0 »

You measure it in whistles, kind of like horses and hands.... :smile:

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
TomB

Post by TomB »

You put the elephant in the middle of a footbal field. When it lies down, you can easily see how long and/or tall it is, depending upon which way it lies on the yard markers.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

By volume.

1) Dunk the beast in a preferably large glass full of water, leaving only the tip of his schnorkel out so it can breathe.

2) Carefully pick up the olifant by the schnorkel and hang it to dry over the glass.

3) When it's dry, measure how much water was spilled during the protocol, i.e. missing from the glass.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On a Greyscale?

http://www.teamquest.com/html/gunther/elephant.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2003-02-27 11:43 ]</font>
breedlovejumbo

Post by breedlovejumbo »

On 2003-02-27 11:27, Zubivka wrote:
By volume.

1) Dunk the beast in a preferably large glass full of water, leaving only the tip of his schnorkel out so it can breathe.
If it sinks, then it is not a witch.
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

Waist: measure around elephant's waist at navel.
Depth: Measure from elephant's naval, between legs to above elephant's bottom.
Crotch: Measure between legs at front.
Leg: Measure around the fullest part of elephant's thigh.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Use a long rope, stretch it along or around the dimension you want to measure, mark the length and then lay out the rope on the ground and measure the marked length.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Martin I found that link last night when trying to answer the question. Remember I'm dealing with a grandmother and grandchild.

Scalability is absolutely out of the quesiton.

MarkB
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Yeah, I guess, sorry! - It was way beyond me too!

I know how you count elephants - Add up the legs and divide by 4. Measuring one? I think I'd get it to stand on the bathroom scales, but remember to discount the weight of the towel round its waist.

Ever helpful! :wink:

edited to remove erroneous '

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2003-02-27 11:58 ]</font>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

with a tape measure.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Tubedude are you a tailor? Your messages reads as if you are messuring the elephant for pants! :smile:

MarkB
french

Post by french »

what elephant attribute should be measured?

if it's the whole elephant and we believe benjamin franklin that the measure of man is what he does with power, then the measure of elephant is what he does with...

peanuts?
his schnorkel (thanks zube)?
his memory?
big ears?

or this (borrowed):

The Blind Men and the Elephant

The parable of the blind men and the elephant attributes the blind men's failure to accurately describe the entirety of the elephant to their physical handicap of a lack of sight. Would that the reasons for social scientists' and educators' failures to describe the entirety of the moral person were so obvious and guiltless. Rather it appears that the theoretical parochialism and arrogance of many of them are the root causes of the problem. The typical scenario is for various factions to propose diverse competing theories of moral development and moral education which are intended often as solutions to the problems of youth and society. Unfortunately, too much emphasis is placed on the "competing" and not enough on the "solutions". What results is a professional dialogue laden with antagonism, "cheap shots", and rather close-minded competition for the status as the "right answer".

William Perry (1970) demonstrated that such a search for the ultimate single right answer reflects a rather immature sense of knowledge. Such a "dualistic" epistemology should be more representative of early adolescent thinking than of high level academic discourse. Yet the field is rife with such perspectives (e.g., Bennett, 1991; Kohlberg & Mayer, 1972; Piaget, 1965; Wynne & Ryan, 1993). Asking which theory is right is simply asking the wrong question. Rarely is there simply a choice between a single right theory and a set of wrong theories. Rather, the question should be how best to explain and influence moral growth given all the available knowledge and theoretical perspectives. Such a more dialectical approach makes optimal use of knowledge from all the diverse "camps".

Certainly there are incompatible aspects of some approaches, but that simply makes the task more difficult, not impossible. The challenge is to sift through what each approach has to offer, find the commonalties and adjudicate between the discrepancies. This is a decidedly more productive course of action than the wholesale rejection of seemingly opposing theories, an approach that has unfortunately been so typical of the field.

It is important to note that there are attempts to be more integrative. For example, the single most impressive and successful program in moral education, the Child Development Project in San Ramon, California (Watson, Solomon, Battistich, Schaps, & Solomon, 1989), is a quite eclectic and wide-ranging approach to child moral development. James Rest (1985) was one of the first theorists to attempt a bridging of domains and Lickona (1983, 1991a) is the single most successful writer in the field while integrating Kohlbergian structuralism with character education and a variety of other perspectives, although his rather strident stances on specific cultural issues often precludes some readers from noticing how successfully he has integrated such perspectives (Rosenblatt, 1995).

One way out of this morass is to look for a grand theory that can encompass the major aspects of moral growth and moral education under one conceptual umbrella. Unfortunately such a grand theory is no where to be seen. Teachers tend to ignore theory and focus on the technical aspects of practice (Carr, 1986). Theorists, as already noted, tend to fall into one or another of various warring camps. To make matters even more difficult, this field actually spans a number of disciplines, most notably psychology, education, philosophy, and theology, and has its roots in quite contrasting philosophical models (Carr, 1991). Grand theory is important in part because so many of the failures in the field are due to the failure to build upon sound justifications derived from sound theory. Models instead ignore the fundamental nature of child development or rely upon an unexamined or misguided ethical theory (such as relativism), or fail to distinguish between morality and other social domains, etc.

Until we systematically reflect on the theoretical groundings of our educational work and on the ways in which we can benefit from the (even seemingly incompatible) work of others, we suffer the problems of the blind men and the elephant. Not only do we describe only a piece of the phenomenon we intend to understand in full, but we desperately refuse to listen to others who are privy to a different perspective on the broader issue, thereby impoverishing ourselves but more importantly our children and our society.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

French I'm going to give you the grandmothers phone number and YOU can explain to her what you said above---Please!

I suspect in a grade 2 class there will some answers that even scientists etc. haven't thought about in answering the question, in being young enough not to worry about the morality of the question, or it's underlying theoritcal bases in other disciplines.

MarkB

PS: I think the grandmother just hung up the phone :smile:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi French(been freaked out by 'The Singing Ringing Tree' yet?)Don't know about blind men and Elephants,but I do know the story of the escaped Elephant and the visually impaired old lady.Said Elephant makes it's way to this old lady's garden,and she hears this terrible commotion in the middle of the night.Frightened,she phones up the local police station and tells the duty sargeant"There's a great big animal in my vegetable patch!" He asks "What sort of animal?",to which she replies "I don't know,my eyes are bad-it's a huge,gray thing!" So he asks "Well, what's it doing now?" she replies"Well Officer,it's pulling up cabbages with it's tail- AND YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHERE IT'S STUFFING THEM!!" :lol: