McCarty Low D Flute Review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: McCarty Low D Flute Review

Post by Denny »

Steve Bliven wrote:we're just spinning our wheels on the oilslick of conjecture (can't remember if that's a simile, a metaphor, or just a silly image) with no resolution in sight.
tradition, innit?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

A trip to IKEA for a top = this beauty.

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Is this thread still running? Gad.

Send me that damn flute, someone.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

Nanohedron wrote:Is this thread still running? Gad.

Send me that damn flute, someone.

No problem!

Just send me $1 gazillion dollars for this priceless infamy - and to stereotype as the trolls here have - no Nigerian bank account transfers please :lol:

My McCarty Low Flute is priceless or worthless - priceless until I get another low D Irish flute to practice on :)

Bad news from my music shop. No microphone forthcoming for at least another week due to holidays ...
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Julia Delaney wrote:I thought this was a very entertaining thread. I loved the way James Alto held our pack of killer-dogs at bay, bravely withstanding every assault on his intelligence and on his trust in fellow man. Carry on, James! Candide has nothing to teach you.

Aww shucks man. Thanks.

But first ...this C&F garden has too many weeds to tend to. Candide indeed has nothing to teach ... and everything to learn from those who came before him:

"Que scay-je" - Montaigne

(What the !@*@£! do I know?!!)

Got to start trying to play this other flute I'll stick a review up.

Cool to see you're from County Clare - one of my favourite counties :)
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

psychodonald wrote:O.K., you've got my interest and curiosity peaked. I live about 40 minutes away from Mr. McCarty's shop. I don't know this man and frankly, I hadn't heard of him until I read that there was a flute maker in Utah, on this forum. I'm going to try and contact him and ask if I can visit his shop with the purpose in mind of at least trying to determine if there is such a person as Mr. McCarty and ask a few questions about the instruments that he "makes." My intent is to be very "up front" about my visit so as not to attempt to "bushwack" him. My guess is that he has been approached before, with similiar questions and concerns, so if he is legit, then I would assume he will welcome me and my questions and offer to show me around. I'll be on the lookout for any camels parked behind his shop. :lol: Will let the forum know if I have any success.

Thanks Donald - we're waiting with all ears.

And we're right behind you!

Literally about 5,000 miles behind :lol:
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Rob Sharer wrote:
If you like playing this flute so much, why do you care where it was made? Would it diminish your enjoyment to learn it wasn't made here in the U.S.?

Rob

Say, that's an interesting question....

R
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

James_Alto wrote:
Julia Delaney wrote:I thought this was a very entertaining thread. I loved the way James Alto held our pack of killer-dogs at bay, bravely withstanding every assault on his intelligence and on his trust in fellow man. Carry on, James! Candide has nothing to teach you.
Aww shucks man. Thanks.
I see that I was wrong again. I read Julia's comments as satire.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

James,
play the damn flute! Record when you can. I think you will become self-aware soon enough!
All the best, Arbo.
p.s. I am busy with the pipes these days. And no, they are not Pakistani made. Scottish, if that is relevant....
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

OK, I've held off for eight pages. That's admirable restraint, no?

Here's how I see it: The simple system 'Irish' flute is a rare instrument in most parts of the world. I live in a medium-sized American city, and we have maybe a half-dozen players here that I know of. Most players start out alone, are self-taught, and have very little guidance. They naturally look for affordable and manageable ways to get started. And, for better or worse, their best source of information is often the internet.

Like most who have posted on this thread, I know darned well that we're discussing a Pakistani flute. It couldn't be more obvious. If the OP is lucky, it may be a reasonable starter instrument, but it won't be a great one, or probably even a good one. That's just reality. I've made bigger mistakes in my life, and been ripped off in bigger ways, and I just chalk that up to inexperience.

As I read through this thread, I don't see nonsense. What I see is knowledgeable players trying to diplomatically offer helpful advice to a new player. Some of it was offered more tactfully than others, but all was well-intentioned.

Bottom line, (for me): Pakistani flute. Excited, motivated new player. Probably a deceptive seller and cr*p flute. But still not a horrible intro to Irish fluting.

My advice is to keep the flute, and save up for a Tipple, a Burns Folk Flute, or one of the several excellent delrin flutes, (Forbes, Seery, Copley, M&E, etc). Play them side by side, and you'll never look back. And please, don't be put off. C&F is a great place to hang out.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

Rob Sharer wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote:
If you like playing this flute so much, why do you care where it was made? Would it diminish your enjoyment to learn it wasn't made here in the U.S.?

Rob

Say, that's an interesting question....

R
hush fool, yer gonna spoil the ambiance :really:
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Well folks, interesting development. I wrote Mr. McCarty an email and no response; I also called the phone number on his web site and I didn't speak directly with him as he didn't answer, but I was able to leave a voice mail and I told him who I was and exactly why I was calling and what I wanted. Well, lo and behold, while I was at work a man by the name of "Eric" called and left a number, stated he was returning my call and wanted to speak with me. The message was taken by one of my family members. When I received the message, I didn't recall trying to reach "Eric" and so it didn't ring a bell until now. The family member that took the message for me is quite young and I asked if "Eric" gave his last name and the child couldn't remember what the last name was, then I asked, "was it McCarty" and bingo that was it. Soooo, tomorrow, I'll call again and see what I can arrange for this weekend (in terms of a face to face). Additonally, in looking at Mr. McCarty's web site, I couldn't see any place where he gave his first name, but I'll bet it's the same person.
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

Follow the money.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

As my Q&A session is going along so swimmingly, here's another:
James_Alto wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Just send me $1 gazillion dollars for this priceless infamy - and to stereotype as the trolls here have - no Nigerian bank account transfers please :lol:
Who, pray, are the trolls here?

We barely know you, "James". Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you to pull up and start identifying trolls among the regular contributors to the board?

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

Image Image