What started you on whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Conley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Conley »

After finding this amazing place with all you wonderful whistling people, I find myself very curious how everyone first became interested in whistles and what their first whistle was.

For me, my husband's family went carolling and one of his cousins brought along this amazing little whistle thingee and played accompaniment. I thought, forget this singing nonsense (my voice happens to stink), I want one of those spritely little instruments! The cousin told me to try a Clarke D, which I did, and I've been hooked on whistles ever since (okay it was just last year, but still...).
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

"Waking Ned Devine" pushed me over the edge, and I glad of it.

Tom D.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Conley

Post by Conley »

Blackhawk, I just read every single post in that thread. Thank you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-27 00:12, Conley wrote:
Blackhawk, I just read every single post in that thread. Thank you!
My pleasure, Conley. I'm not trying to shut you down, I just didn't want to write it all out again! :smile:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Went to Colonial Williamsburg and bought the son one of those hand made souvenir whistles. He put it down and the rest is history.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

When I was about 14, my family finally got cable TV. One of the channels was CBC, and one of the weekly shows was The Irish Rovers, which I promptly fell in love with. A few months after I started watching the show, I was in a music store and saw a little "flute" just like Will Millar's. It was a Generation Eb, and I still have it. :smile:

Redwolf
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

I'll be the first one to admit it... I got turned on to the whistle by Star Trek The Next Generation. I loved that episode; my father did too. We've both been playing for about 3 years now.

My first whistle was a Clarke orig in D, unpainted. That was quickly followed by Shaws in Eb and A. I recently got a Walton's in C (I've been slow to warm up to the plastic fipples for some reason, but this whistle is great), and will soon be the proud owner of a Mack Hoover brass D.

I also play the guitar (9 yrs) and the Trombone (7 yrs). I reach more often for my whistles though....

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I started because I was playing flute and harmonica with a trad band and thought it would be good to add whistle to the list.
So I bought a couple whistles.
But I never played them. We switched to a more bluegrass/mountain style and I played harmonica and started the hammered dulcimer.
Then a year ago I went to a renfaire and just before that decided to get back to the whistle. Now I'm fairly hooked.
I haven't played harmonica in months because they got run over on interstate 80 in Nebraska. Besides, I can buy several Clarke's for the price of a Lee Oskar harmonica.
breedlovejumbo

Post by breedlovejumbo »

I started playing because we were doing a song that just said "Use a whistle!" I have noticed that while playing my whistle, I don't need to worry about my small children's grubby hands or drool getting on the instrument and wrecking the finish like I do with guitar. I don't really even mind when my youngest grabs the whistle out of my mouth and then bangs it with the one I let her play with. Whistles are portable, easy enough to play, and so inexpensive that I don't need to baby them.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

On 2003-02-27 07:54, geek4music wrote:

I haven't played harmonica in months because they got run over on interstate 80 in Nebraska. Besides, I can buy several Clarke's for the price of a Lee Oskar harmonica.
Jeez, sorry about that, geek!

Do I recall you're in Michigan somewhere?

Cara
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2003-02-26 23:47, Conley wrote:
After finding this amazing place with all you wonderful whistling people, I find myself very curious how everyone first became interested in whistles and what their first whistle was.
*shrug* couldn't afford bagpipes. First whistle? Either an Oak D or a Gen D, can't recall which came first.
slowair

Post by slowair »

My whistling got started with the attack on the WTC.

I kinda taught myself silver flute a hundred years ago and stopped soon after.

Then in 2001 I started to teach myself Native flute. I could play a couple songs.

I had a Clarke pennywhistle lying around. Never really liked it much. All I ever bothered to play on it was Amazing Grace.

Then on Sept. 11th, as I watched American history change forever, I picked up the whistle and played the best Amazing Grace ever to the poor souls lost that day.

I haven't stopped since.

From that tragedy I found a new love and a new way to heal.

Mike
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I've loved music all my life, sang in church choirs, barbershopped, and played sousaphone when I could. Tried 5 string banjo but gave up years ago. I've "retired" a couple of times and had already figured out that as I got ready to go on Social Security I needed a love object and interest to keep me occupied (besides my wife and her honeydo list). I have a Celtic linage and love the music. I like the Pipes and Harps but they're not my thing. I found this site last year, bought my first (but not only) whistle, retired again the first of this month and began to learn. I love it and am on the way to recruiting my son-in-law and seven year old grandson. I've now started to map out the "Whistle" events to attend this year. See you there.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

On 2003-02-26 23:47, Conley wrote:
Why? Probably Chiff and Fipple - I ended up on the site after a google search a year or so ago and I browsed a bit. Then had an "Aha!" moment when I realized that the the instrument in the background of a lot of Clancy Brothers tracks was whistle rather than flute. This motivated me enough to get my first whistle (a Clarke original - the only whistle the closest music store stocked).

I played with the Clarke a bit, but never really clicked until an extended business trip to Ireland a few months ago. I picked up the Walton's Whistle/CD package and a couple of Feadogs while there, and found myself obsessed. Current count is 11 whistles owned, plus a couple more I gave to my younger daughter. And despite a lot of work pressure, I usually play at least an hour a day.