Questions about several expensive whistles I'm considering

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squeezy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Questions about several expensive whistles I'm considering

Post by squeezy »

I'm looking for a more high end whistle than my D Oak; and have been reading about Sindt; Laughing Whistles; Parkhurst: and Rayburn on Chiff and Fipple. A general question: Any comments on these? Has anyone got a telescoping whistle from Noah Herbison and had good results with both the sound and the telescoping? (Are they still being made?) Do brass whistles have plastic "mounthpieces" always (or just sometimes) and is there an odor or funny taste of the brass (or other metal)? Thanks for your help; and for helping me whittle down this buying process!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Questions about several expensive whistles I'm considering

Post by Dale »

squeezy wrote:I'm looking for a more high end whistle than my D Oak; and have been reading about Sindt; Laughing Whistles; Parkhurst: and Rayburn on Chiff and Fipple. A general question: Any comments on these? Has anyone got a telescoping whistle from Noah Herbison and had good results with both the sound and the telescoping? (Are they still being made?) Do brass whistles have plastic "mounthpieces" always (or just sometimes) and is there an odor or funny taste of the brass (or other metal)? Thanks for your help; and for helping me whittle down this buying process!
Let me point out, to my shame, that the C&F whistle pages are very much out-of-date and are there for archival reasons. (I continue to fantasize that volunteers will help me update them one day.) I'm not sure if Noah still makes whistles, but the telescoping whistles, while cool, are really too quiet to be used in most settings.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

I don't know about the whistles you mention, but having gone through a severe bout of expensive whistle buying over the last year or so, I think I can say that they're all likely to be excellent, but all with different sounds. In the end you'll probably go through several mid to high end whistles before you find the one you really just want to play all the time. Or - you'll find that you end up with two or three (in my case four...) that you love swapping between.

Having said that, a non-tuneable Goldie high D may well satisfy you staight away at a very reasonable price point. And he can apparently customise the voicing to suit you. So I don't think you could go wrong there.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have a lovely set of copper Parkhurst whistles, but I don't believe he is still making whistles.
What you describe as "plastic" mouthpieces on brass whistles is a bit different from the plastic heads on e.g., Generations; the heads or fipples on higher end brass models is generally delrin or some other space age plastic that is much more durable than the cheaper plastics - these are my favorite fipples.
As to odors from brass, I never noticed any but that is purely personal and some others have occasionally spoken of reactions to brass (and other materials as well).
I would at the upper end strongly recommend Sindt (my favorite for about 3 years now which is a record) and Burke - basically can't go wrong there.
You could also consider Gene Milligan who makes really nice dymondwood and delrin whistles.
Another idea, especially if you're looking for something not quite as expensive and perfectly portable, is a Carey Parks (walkabout).

Enjoy.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

Most of my whistles (both expensive and inexpensive) are brass and yes once in a whistle I do find they have a slight odor typical of brass, however, all their mouthpieces are either Delrin or plastic eliminating any chances of a metallic taste.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi

I would also recommend a Sindt, althought there is a waiting list and the last time I ordered from John it was 8 months. However if you are looking for a whistle that is just about as different from any others see if you can find a used model. They don't get passed on very often so if you find one for sell go for it.

I have a Sindt A with a delrin mouthpiece and as a result no taste of brass. My other higher end whistle is a Kerry Songbird (low D) although I believe other keys were available, not sure if these are made any more? I do find that there is a slight taste of aluminiun from the mouthpiece.

Ian
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Thank you so much for all the input to my questions.
So here's some followup: Is the "Goldie" and Overton? And I thought that the Overton was all metal; and there was not a plastic mouthpiece. If that is the case, does an Overton mouthpiece have any mettallic taste or smell?
Thank you.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

This question is really hard to answer for several reasons. The whistles you found on the archive pages are all over the place in terms of price but all are more "high end" than your Oak. Although, a Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog, at about $35+/- is higher end than your Oak and IMO more suitable for a broader range of usage than will be Noah's Laughing Whistle which, as Denny stated is a quieter whistle. Nothing wrong with that but it can be limiting.

It would be helpful if you described some characteristic you are looking for since there are dozens of makers who fit the description of "higher end" than your Oak. And the Oak is not a bad whistle in it's own right but I'm assuming, with no criteria listed, that "higher end" has something to do with price which is not necessarily a measure of playing characteristics, material or sound.

Not all brass whistles have a metallic taste since some are coated with a varnish or mixed with other materials like the Sindt or Burke where not much metal touches your mouth. Aluminum whistles have no metallic taste that I can detect but then I'm not bothered by the taste of brass either. As you've been advised by others, the word "plastic" is non-specific as well and can run the gamut from PVC to Delrin to polycarbonate etc. Some of these have tastes as well.

IMHO unless you've got experience with these other types of whistles or can describe some characteristic you seek, you're going to need to buy and try a lot of whistles to find your answers.

Good luck with your quest. There's nothing wrong with WHOA either. Support your local whistle maker. It's the best musical bargain you will ever find.

And, yes, currently Goldie makes Overton brand whistles since Bernard passed on several years ago. And Colin will indeed make these all aluminum whistles to your individual needs within the limitations of his design. But he's going to ask you some of the same questions about characteristics.

BTW, the whistles you've mentioned, while higher on the price scale than your Oak, aren't even close to being expensive, even in the whistling world. You can easily pay twice what any of those you've mentioned cost. Still a bargain though, relative to other instruments.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Denny

Post by Denny »

ecohawk wrote:Noah's Laughing Whistle which, as Denny stated is a quieter whistle.
that was Dale... Image Denny is this one Image
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Sorry, you "management" type guys all look alike to me. :D
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

I believe the waiting list for a Sindt is now 10 to 12 months. In the meantime, a Freeman Mellow Dog will no doubt fill the gap admirably.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

squeezy wrote:I'm looking for a more high end whistle than my D Oak; and have been reading about Sindt; Laughing Whistles; Parkhurst: and Rayburn on Chiff and Fipple. A general question: Any comments on these? Has anyone got a telescoping whistle from Noah Herbison and had good results with both the sound and the telescoping? (Are they still being made?) Do brass whistles have plastic "mounthpieces" always (or just sometimes) and is there an odor or funny taste of the brass (or other metal)? Thanks for your help; and for helping me whittle down this buying process!
I bought a high end Sweetheart whistle. Ho hum. Review will follow at some point :lol:

Otherwise - on the strength of a few reviews on youtube and this thread by Ralph:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83027&hilit=reyburn+whistle+ralph

I bought a Reyburn Low D. It has literally just arrived :)
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Of the whistles you mention, I've only tried the Sindt, which was fantastic.

For high D whistles I prefer playing old Generations and Feadogs. My all-time favourite D is the Feadog I got back around 1980. I tried a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" Feadog D, and it played remarkably like my old warhorse. If I ever lost mine, I'd replace it with a Freeman Feadog in a heartbeat.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Jerry Freeman offers the Blackbird, but does not list the regular tweaked Feadog as available anymore. (I don't recall if there was any indication that he would do a regular tweak on a Feadog if requested or not, and I have no idea how a regular tweaked Feadog and the Blackbird compare.)
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

What does "tweaked" mean, anyway? Where does one buy these dog whistles? Sindt whistles are now one year behind on delivery! eek! In a whistle class last week I had a chance to play a Burke and a Sindt. Lovely! (And hear an Overton.) I still haven't figured out though, the difference between a Burke and a Sindt, to explain why one is 2 times more expensive than the other.