McCarty Low D Flute Review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Re: McCarty Low D Flute Review

Post by psychodonald »

Will give it a go Arbo. I also thought I would ask if I could take pic's of flutes in various stages of development. Also, ask to see where he ages his wood and for how long. There should be evidence of bored out blanks in the process of aging. Would appreciate any other suggestions.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Good luck! Go for it. I have my doubts it's going to happen, though. And if you do get in and find anything less than it ought to be, get your local Trading Standards authority in on him.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

This little image looks surprisingly identical to the flute in question. Even the case. I'd say it's sourced from the same maker.

http://www.manufacturer.com/trade/i1056 ... Flute.html

Not from McCarty if you can read the small print. It says Made by "Solomon"

Even the rings on this one is the same...

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

psychodonald wrote:I also thought I would ask if I could take pic's of flutes in various stages of development. Also, ask to see where he ages his wood and for how long. There should be evidence of bored out blanks in the process of aging. Would appreciate any other suggestions.
I don't know if you have had a look at the contact page on the McCarty website. It shows several pictures of what is his shop. Now I make flutes and whistles too and while no two builders have the same equipment and processes things look a little soft to me. Take a look. Might save you the trip.

There's one of those flute-like objects on my shelf, not a McCarty but a Mid-East jobbie. The parts and layout are too similar not to be from the same place of origin.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Feadoggie wrote:
psychodonald wrote:I also thought I would ask if I could take pic's of flutes in various stages of development. Also, ask to see where he ages his wood and for how long. There should be evidence of bored out blanks in the process of aging. Would appreciate any other suggestions.
I don't know if you have had a look at the contact page on the McCarty website. It shows several pictures of what is his shop. Now I make flutes and whistles too and while no two builders have the same equipment and processes things look a little soft to me. Take a look. Might save you the trip.

There's one of those flute-like objects on my shelf, not a McCarty but a Mid-East jobbie. The parts and layout are too similar not to be from the same place of origin.

Feadoggie
When I look at the photos of the McCarty workshop, I am tempted to laugh. It looks like it was set up in the basement for a photo op. However, the last time that I laughed on this thread, I was called vulgar, so I will hold back my laugh. I've learned my lesson. Good luck, guys, in finding this stealth workshop.

The topic of McCarty Instruments has been discussed here on the flute forum in the past.
link
2nd link
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I'd think your laugh would be more sinister that vulgar.

Everyone knows that every bone in your body is mean... and you eat kittens for breakfast with a double helping on Sundays.

I think you should grow one of those long skinny mustaches so you can wax and curl it at the end when you tie your damsels to the train tracks.

:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Doug has damsels? Not fair! Obviously I'll have to up-size from piccolos!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

don't beg :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Feadoggie wrote:on the McCarty website. It shows several pictures of what is his shop.
mmm, several.... those are just 3 shots on one side and 3 shots on another. Angles change just a slighty bit.
Maybe there is much more to see but he cannot upload more pics.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

James_Alto wrote: His sales and feedback is 100% on an auction site over hundreds - clearly these flutes are of interest to people who are outside of the Chiff & Fipple forum.
How many of those people do you think buy it on a whim due to the low price, find out they won't ever get anywhere near decent players and blame it on themselves for being untalented.
I had (in case you missed it) an old German flute that looked the part but was a crock. Good flute players didn't sound much better than i did playing it.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Lars Larry Mór Mott

James_Alto wrote: It makes a pleasant sound to my ears - maybe it is best suited to incompetent players starting off? :P I still think it's more me than it is the flute which needs to improve - buying a bigger or better flute isn't going to remedy that. Since we all fail immediately, it's better to start off low :lol:
I dare say you're sadly wrong there. My (renewed) interest in flute playing sparked from borrowing a Desi Seery flute and finding out that maybe i wasn't that talentless after all since i got infinitely better sound out of the Seery after 15 minutes than i got out of the German one in 15 years. Until you have tried a proper flute, and with all due respect, the one you just got ain't cutting it IMO, you shouldn't assume you're holding the flute back instead of the other way around. Of course it takes time for a beginner to get the 'nyah' out of a timber flute, but with a crock 'o' sh*t it aint gonna happen even if you go at it til doomsday.

James_Alto wrote: Wrong? Aanvil - I hear and listen to what some of the more helpful people on this thread are saying. There is a bigger picture too - I'm not looking for flute heaven with a $184 flute - just something to use other than a Boehm flute.
Well if your ambition stops at blowing warm air through a hollow stick, fair play to ya.

My concern in this has nothing to do with Mr McCarthy/Singh or whoever, frankly i don't give a hoot.
Problem is that you have got to get a flute you *know* there's nothing wrong with - in other words, one from a reputable maker, be it a new or second hand one or you'll never know whether it's you or the flute and as a consequense you will not develop properly as a player.
When i played the guitar in my youth i got a Fender Telecaster, that way i knew for sure that any faults in the sound or playing was mine.
Anyway, you can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink.. several members have rubbed it in as it is, i just couldn't resist giving it a try as a fellow rookie.
Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry for the double posting mods, i couldn't work out the quotes properly in one post.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Mr_Blackwood wrote: Anyway, you can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink.. several members have rubbed it in as it is, i just couldn't resist giving it a try as a fellow rookie.
Cheers.
I think this would be a good time to stop. We've been thumping on James, who certainly understands what we're saying but disagrees. That's his right and hammering him for it looks increasingly like a feeding frenzy.

Also the board rules are clear about negative comments about instruments:

1. Comment only from personal experience. No "people have told me...", "other players have said," etc. It may well be true that a poster here has stood around with a half-dozen very fine musicians and all of them said that Instruments by X are dreadful. And, admittedly, that would be useful for someone to know if they're about to buy an X instrument. But allowing the reporting of 2nd hand feedback is a problem.

From Announcements. 'Negative comments about flutes.'

Only one of us has played this flute. He likes it. He's happy with it. Probably a Pakistani flute but hardly impossible that this one plays well enough and is worth the money. The rest of us, in bashing the particular flute as worthless, are breaking the rule.

It's all well meant but a bit of ganging up on a lone dissenter, the only one here who has played the thing.
James may think about what's been said and change his mind about the flute, but, in fairness, that's his dept now.
Denny

Post by Denny »

some people enjoy head banging.

James hasn't agreed with much since he's been here. :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

jim stone wrote:
Mr_Blackwood wrote: Anyway, you can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink.. several members have rubbed it in as it is, i just couldn't resist giving it a try as a fellow rookie.
Cheers.
I think this would be a good time to stop.
Me too, hence my personal last words in this thread.
Sometimes it's hard to decide whether to contribute with your own 2 cents or keep quiet since everyone else and their aunt seem to have lots of cents as well ;)
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

This thread is so full of holes it's a wonder we can't all see the light of day.

First a general observation: when I see so much verbiage being heaped on a thread by the OP, especially right out of the gate, I begin to question what's being said. A simple premise like, "this flute is/isn't made in Pakistan" shouldn't require pages of special pleading, seemingly intended to head off debate.

Now, here's a simple and specific question to the OP: what makes you think that wood is Black Walnut? Your (and "Eric's") repeated assertions aside, what evidence is there whatsoever that your flute is made from American Black Walnut, juglans nigra, and not Persian Walnut, juglans regia?

The latter species grows all over Asia, including in Pakistan, where this flute was made. That doesn't mean the flute isn't black Walnut, mind, but it seems more likely that a Pakistani flutemaker would use the similar species that grows nearby, rather than importing from the USA.

Assuming it could be proved that the flute is made from black Walnut, it is worth remembering that wood travels quite well. The USA exports vast quantities of timber, including hardwoods like walnut, to Asian countries every year.

Rob