Good quality whistles in $100 price range?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lintehwesta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Good quality whistles in $100 price range?

Post by lintehwesta »

Hey,
I'm currently looking at using graduation money to get myself a nice whistle. Right now I have a Jerry Freeman mellow dog, D/C set that I love. As I look around at higher end whistles though I find that they look very pretty :D I have a little over $100 to spend. If I find something more expensive I might be able to pay more, but I'd be most comfortable with something a hundred or less--I'm not convinced I need a completely fancy whistle yet. Considering I have one I spent twenty on one that works wonderfully.

I don't know what all is out there though, and what's good. I've looked some at Susato, ethnicwind whistles, sweatheart whistles. . . I really don't know where to start in looking. Any suggestions?
Feadoggie

Re: Good quality whistles in $100 price range?

Post by Feadoggie »

lintehwesta wrote:I'm not convinced I need a completely fancy whistle yet. Considering I have one I spent twenty on one that works wonderfully.
I think you have made a wise observation there. My advice is to stick with your Mellow Dog until your playing gets to the point that you know what you want beyond what the Mellow Dog offers. Many more expensive whistles are just that "more expensive" and not necessarily more capable. Get out and play with others. Try some more whistles as you get the chance in order to make your decision based on your preferences and skill instead of getting the usual litany of suggestions.

There are good whistles available under $100 (Impempe for one) but there is also a pile of chaff at that price point too. Read/Search through previous posts on the subject here and inform yourself.

If you have to buy a new whistle, why not buy a few more keys?

Just a thought.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Great suggestion. If you like Jerry's work, consider his tweaked Generation Bb. It gets rave reviews here.

For that matter, the Impempe Bb is great, too --- my favorite, in fact. If you've got a good D and C, the Bb should be next.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
lintehwesta

Post by lintehwesta »

Good advice. I'll stay away from the 'shiny's and wait a while longer.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Bb is a good whistle to buy. I would suggest an Eb as well. Both of these are good Generation whistles.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
robert schuler

Post by robert schuler »

My generation Bb @ $7.95 is my favorite whistle... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Congratulations on graduating. Now what are you going to do?

When you have a need for a different whistle is the time to buy a different whistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Again congratulations on graduating.

I would also go along with a Freeman Gen Bb; next to my Sindt A it is perhaps my favourite. I have also been lucky to get a Gen C and Waltons C that play really well from my local music shop, equivalent to $6.50.

Ian
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

mutepointe wrote:When you have a need for a different whistle is the time to buy a different whistle.
How can you perpetuate WhOA with an attitude like this? :wink:

BTW, the Impempe is a great whistle for a great price (it's in my avatar). Just google "Impempe whistle". This is my current "go to" whistle and yes, I am a victim of WhOA!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

lintehwesta wrote: I don't know what all is out there though, and what's good. I've looked some at Susato, ethnicwind whistles, sweatheart whistles. . . I really don't know where to start in looking. Any suggestions?
Keep an eye on the Used Instruments Exchange forum. You'll sometimes find real bargains there.

There are plenty of Gen fans on this board, but as far as calling it an upgrade from your tweaked Mellow Dog set, I just don't see it. The Impempe has been mentioned as a possible upgrade in your price range and I've heard much praise for that whistle around here although I've never played one. Another to consider would be the Tilbury whistles. I own a Bb/C set. It's a fine whistle with good tone, nice chiff, and plays easily through the 2nd octave ...and the craftsmanship is excellent. BTW, Chuck Tilbury is a C&F member and goes by the name Spalpeen.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
AbrasiveScotsman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

Best bang for the buck in my collection is my Clarke high D traditional. They're not to everyone's taste, but I love the traditional design and the breathy tones.

In American money you can probably get one around $30 or less. The Whistle Shop does a tweaked version that reduces the air needed, but as I say I like the breathiness so that doesn't appeal to me.

In terms of sheer quality for the price I have been very impressed with my Tony Dixon low whistles - although they are plastic which puts some people off.
maki

Post by maki »

There certainly are some incredibly good deals on used instrument here on the forum.
Check often, do your research, and keep as much cash on hand as possible!
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

plunk111 wrote:
mutepointe wrote:When you have a need for a different whistle is the time to buy a different whistle.
How can you perpetuate WhOA with an attitude like this? :wink:

BTW, the Impempe is a great whistle for a great price (it's in my avatar). Just google "Impempe whistle". This is my current "go to" whistle and yes, I am a victim of WhOA!

Pat
Word up on that. I am thrilled with my B/Bb Impempe, and so are the people who have tried it so far.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
tombom11

Post by tombom11 »

I like my Syn's. You can read an accurate review here in the forum. They have a clear, round tone. Not particularly chiffy, but definitely still a whistle and not "recorder sounding". Similar, but not quite as nice as the Burke, but for less than half the price. I have the D/C set. They both play well, but I prefer the C. A fellow from out of town showed up at our local session with a new whole set and he liked every one.

If you like whistles with the clearer tone, I haven't found a better bargain.

Tom (Syns, Freeman tweaked Generations, Reviol, Dixons, Walton)
rosehebrew

Post by rosehebrew »

mutepointe wrote:Congratulations on graduating. Now what are you going to do?

When you have a need for a different whistle is the time to buy a different whistle.
Wow Mutepointe, could I take that quote and run with it or what? I am now into whistle in different scales.....it will never end while I am on this Earth.
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter