The Hobbit 2012

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: The Hobbit 2012

Post by I.D.10-t »

The Disney version lacked the charm of the older version.

But it looks like someone is making yet another Snow White movie. I say bring back the iron shoes!

Of course kids these days want a Kung-Fu version.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

They sure are handsy.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Snow White and the Seven Homunculus?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:In our family we use "Little people."
For what? Food?
I.D.10-t wrote:Snow White and the Seven Homunculus?
Homunculi, please. :wink:
emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Jeez, Emm.
Oh no...pic-subbing disallowed.
(Although that one does add a loopy surreal element, in the context.)
But...I was defending Snow White's hono(u)r. And then you referred to different creatures, the Tolkienian Dwarves. Or Dwarfs. Or Dwarrows. I posted the pic to bring us all back to where I was coming from. And, of course, to rib you. I agree, though, that at that point irremediable thread awkwardness was pretty much set in stone. BTW, it's no stretch of the imagination to realise that that very pic was the impetus for the whole nasty business suggesting - and such sniggering there was! - that Snow White was a party girl like few others. But only look upon her dwarves, and the ludicrousness of such a distasteful allegation becomes highly apparent (Please, please let it be so. Please.).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:Of course kids these days want a Kung-Fu version.
huffingtonpost.com, as linked above, wrote:Disney is about to entirely change a beloved classic.
Uhhh, that ship's done sailed.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:Y'know, there's not a lot of orthographic consensus when it comes to the plural: dwarfs, dwarves (my go-to), dwarrows, and dwerrows (Tolkien apparently couldn't make up his mind about those last two). And then the adjectives!...Dwarfish, dwarvish, dwarve's, dwarfly, dwarfine, dwarfen, dwarven, dwarflike, dwarfy, dwarfesque, dwarfworthy, dwarfile, dwarfal, dwarfic, dwarfous, and dwarfulent.
He's reported to have insisted on having one of his books re-typeset because a copy editor had gone through it and changed 'dwarves' into 'dwarfs'. I think he was right. 'Dwarfs' is an ugly word and has no music in it at all..
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:'Dwarfs' is an ugly word and has no music in it at all..
Word. I would only use it with full intent because of its sound. And that seldom, probably (aside from the fact that the subject rarely comes up for me anyway, this being one of those times). For all the times I've seen or heard "dwarfs", I've had as many barves.

No offense to the rest of y'all...I'm just quirky that way. It's a gut thing. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
s1m0n wrote:'Dwarfs' is an ugly word and has no music in it at all..
Word. I would only use it with full intent because of its sound. And that seldom, probably (aside from the fact that the subject rarely comes up for me anyway, this being one of those times). For all the times I've seen or heard "dwarfs", I've had as many barves.

No offense to the rest of y'all...I'm just quirky that way. It's a gut thing. :)
I really must protest. Poisoned Dwarf is quite musical
http://poisoneddwarf.com/index2.html. I understand the gut thing though, I got a bug from my bike's water bottle the other day, think I lost ten pounds in about six hours.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So if Tolkien wrote the cartoon "The Smurfs" it might have been "The Smurves"?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Could be. As it happens, the very subject of the proper Smurfonomic plural has been hotly contested here in the Pub. I believe it came to a draw, with everyone scratched and panting in their corners.
dwest wrote:I really must protest. Poisoned Dwarf is quite musical
http://poisoneddwarf.com/index2.html.
Indeed they are: if you actually open the website, at top left on the homepage you will see a clicky for "The Dwarves". If you get my drift. :wink:

But then, I say "awnvelope" and "vozz", too. :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote: But then, I say "awnvelope" and "vozz", too. :wink:
No.

I'm completely without vocal posh. I say eether and neether. (this could actually be an extra set of dwarves, in case anyone's up for 15.)
How about those female people who go with uncles? I have a problem. On my mom's side they're all ahnts, and on my dad's they're all ants. And this simply based on which end of Virginia the respective families came from.
I like to just try not to talk, because then I won't pronounce stuff wrong.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I can still remember my shock, about halfway through kindergarten, when I realized that this thing vayze that they kept talking about was really a vahze.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Emm, you're obviously a cretin. Or maybe a Cretan. Which is how I used to pronounce "cretin".
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

MTGuru wrote:Emm, you're obviously a cretin. Or maybe a Cretan. Which is how I used to pronounce "cretin".
I prefer troglodyte.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

emmline wrote:I prefer troglodyte.
A little bird?