CP: New Stuff on Copley Flutes Web Site

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dcopley
antispam: No

CP: New Stuff on Copley Flutes Web Site

Post by dcopley »

A little too hot to be working in the shop at the moment, so I spent some time updating the web site. On the Sound Clips page I have added some tunes recorded by John Skelton, including one played on an E natural flute made from Osage Orange. There is also a listing of flutes which we will have for sale at the upcoming Dublin Ohio Irish Festival. This is on the Current Availabilty page. The Catalog page is also updated to include Keyed Delrin flutes.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: New Stuff on Copley Flutes Web Site

Post by libraryman »

I'm a fairly competent lawyer who has played flute for quite a few years--but am at best okay. Still being the first has allowed me to buy more flutes than I need--including ones by at least three of the current makers most often favored by professionals. There are times when I lean towards this or that one, but I'd have to say that of late, my most reliable and best sounding flute is my 3 year old 4-keyed blackwood Copley D. Sounds good, feels good, plays nicely. Just a real solid instrument. So I'm sure there are going to be some real good ones going to Dublin Ohio!
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

the sound clips are great; Mr. Skelton's Double-Barrelled is my favorite album right now; i love his playing. i really like the Breton tune, but i think my favorite is the slig jig on your delrin C. I've heard a lot of good things about that particular flute; maybe i'll have to be getting one of those... :)

Cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Look at you, key flutes in Delrin!
They look great Dave. :thumbsup:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dcopley wrote:A little too hot to be working in the shop at the moment, so I spent some time updating the web site. On the Sound Clips page I have added some tunes recorded by John Skelton, including one played on an E natural flute made from Osage Orange. There is also a listing of flutes which we will have for sale at the upcoming Dublin Ohio Irish Festival. This is on the Current Availabilty page. The Catalog page is also updated to include Keyed Delrin flutes.
Lovely. Folks, remember to use RELOAD in your browser to display up the new info.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Great clips! I got to see the Osage Orange flute at this year's St. Louis Tionol. It looks fantastic and is feather-light. John S. was very taken with it and commented on how much he likes Copley flutes in general--called them 'underrated.' I know I like mine!

By the way, the wood is orange-yellow with a dramatic grain pattern: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... orange.htm

In the interest of proper resource management, if the wood can be made into flutes, perhaps the fruit could be made into ocarinas?
Last edited by tin tin on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Interesting. There are a lot of those "monkey ball" trees around here. There's one right at the entrance to my development. I've never thought about the actual wood itself being good for anything because those giant "monkey balls" are such a pain in the butt.

Cheers,

Kirk
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nice addition. John's playing is marvelous.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Osage orange is a very strong wood. When I was a kid, a friend and I made archery bows from it. By the way, I like the smell of hedge apples. I know people who put them around the outside of the house to keep insects away. Evidently, insects and I have different tastes in terms of smell. I would be interested in seeing/playing the Copley flute made from osage orange.
maki

Post by maki »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Osage orange is a very strong wood. When I was a kid, a friend and I made archery bows from it. By the way, I like the smell of hedge apples. I know people who put them around the outside of the house to keep insects away. Evidently, insects and I have different tastes in terms of smell. I would be interested in seeing/playing the Copley flute made from osage orange.
Osage Orange is still a prized wood for bowyers.
I understand that it also used for fence posts, meaning that it resists insects and fungus for decades. Real perdy too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Great clips, Dave, but John is much better in person! Jealous? (He's teaching at Augusta this year!)
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

My Copley flute, Zul, cries out loudly for the keymaster. This gatekeeper is losing his resolve.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde