Whistlesmiths/dealers-- payment question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm curious about how other whistle makers and/or dealers handle international transactions.
PayPal works OK for me, assuming the customer's country has it available, and the customer has an appropriate credit card and is willing to use PayPal. I've had several direct bank transfers, but my own bank charges $20 to accept such a payment, and there are sometimes intermediary banks which also take a cut which I have the sad job of passing on to the customer. International checks seem to be sort of difficult. Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Neither a maker nor dealer be I, but what about asking for international postal money orders?

Regards,

Philo
Damien

Post by Damien »

from my experience with ebay, almost any foreign transaction is going to cost extra in some regard. checks and money orders get you a charge to cash them. paypal requires a transaction fee as well (one fee for membership to accept cc transactions, and another if you want your balance in cash). direct bank transfers are the most expensive it seems. converting cash will cost you too.

it's just a world of cost :sad:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Aren't American banks outrageous when it comes to wire transfers? A lot of makers prefer wire transfers -- Grinter and Swayne come immediately to mind. I went to the bank (actually, it was the second bank I went to; my primary bank doesn't do international transfers), and it was going to cost $47 to wire $240 to Australia. Fortunately, he accepted a cheque when he learned of my plight.

I told this to some European friends who were aghast -- much commerce over there is by transfer, and it's cheap. I dunno why American banks discourage it. It can't actually be expensive, otherwise mortgages and other loans wouldn't require payments by debit.

Rant mode off.

BTW, Lee Marsh (I think) posted the name of a bank a year or two ago that does inexpensive international transfers.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I'm glad you brought this subject up, because it's something I too will have to deal with at some point in time.
I've only shipped one of my whistles overseas (UK), but I didn't get any education on international monetary transactions since it was a gift.
PayPal is something I've considered, but I haven't seriously looked into all the pros and cons of using it.
Please post your final resolution to the problem when you decide what's the best available option... you'll save me a big headache on down the line! :wink:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
serpent

Post by serpent »

I use PayPal exclusively. It's relatively inexpensive, and accepts a number of non-US currencies. Anything that keeps my costs and hassle down, benefits my customers. If I have to work at it, that costs me, and it's a cost I must pass on. Been there, done that with Australia and wire transfers. I bought a dijeridu via a friend there, and it wound up costing me an extra $40 or so to do the wire transfer. Outrageous! And Never Again. International Reply Coupons (Money Orders) are an alternative for countries that can't use PayPal. Unfortunately, that's going to have to be up to the customer. My margin isn't great enough to play too many games chasing after money.
Hope this helps! :grin:
serpent
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Have you ever realized that it takes about 30 seconds to get a credit check done, but that it takes five days for an out-of-state check to clear in the Greatest Country In the World That Is Going To Improve The Rest Of The World, Too? Can you just imagine the sums of money in checks-waiting-to-clear each day? The interest banks earn on it must be staggering. And on top of it, they will treat you like a criminal until proven otherwise if you walk into a bank to open an account. :roll:

I don't think you'll find better than PayPal, in a place where people order Pizza and DVD rentals on line but send a stack of checks by mail every month. (And in case you wonder: if you pay your bills "electronically" the bank prints a check and sends it by mail to your payee.) Pass the bottle.
/Bloomfield
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

My bank charges a flat $45 for an international wire transfer. I've had no problems sending money to England, but the Australian banking system has a different swift code than the US banks and wire transfers to a checking account were not possible. Direct transfer to a credit card account wasn't a problem at all. I've also sent checks from my US based personal account to a pipemaker in Australia and added $30US to cover his banking fees for the transaction.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

PayPal. 'nough said! :grin:

It's cheepest and most conveneint for both parties that I've found.
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I just had to wire money to Australia for a melodeon I'm having made. My bank charged me $50 for an International wire transfer. I did ask the maker about sending a USPS International Money Order but he said he'd had trouble cashing these in Australia. My preference was just to send US$ cash via registered mail (which I'd done before when buying something from Australia) but the maker stated that he thought it was illegal to send cash through the mail... Anyone know if that's true?

-Brett
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

True
Tony

Post by Tony »

And the USPS money order isn't very good either. I was suprised they took my US personal check without any problems.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I use Paypal for most transactions but will accept Money Orders, Travelers Checks. One person (I think in Finland) send me something called a 'Swiftcheck' it seemed to be ok.
Calculating Overseas Postage is usually a extra task.

I've purchased instruments overseas (Ebay Purchase) using Western Union (Bidpay).
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

International money orders work best for me. My bank will cash them with no problem. I suppose that is the advantage of living in a small town! Everyone knows who you are and where you live anyway.

If a customer can't get the international money order or if the fee is too much I will take a personal cheque which the bank is supposed to hold for 2 weeks. Again, they usually let it go but promise to find me if the cheque bounces!

I have also been sent cash by mail and that works fine for me providing the customer is comfortable. One time the cash came from Scotland and the customs people opened the envelope and put the money back.

I just love honest people!

I think the most important thing is for the customer to communicate with the whistle maker if a prefered payment plan is causing them a lot of grief or a huge fee. They may be willing to work out an easier arrangement!

All the best,

Sandy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sandy Jasper on 2003-02-27 01:59 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I buy Travellers Checks from American Express, $US. It's almost like cash, but I can mail them just like checks.