New member saying hello + two questions (big hands & Sindts)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nuppu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New member saying hello + two questions (big hands & Sindts)

Post by Nuppu »

Hello all!

I've lately been spending more and more time reading this great forum, so I thought It'd be time to say hi. This is really a great place for a beginning whistle player! Thanks all. This forum has been and I'll bet will be a great inspiration (I also found a fine indeed whistle teacher from Finland, which I was afraid wouldn't happen - I was luckily wrong!).

Also had the questions:

1. I really really like the Sindt sound (Enda Seery's youtube clip for example, and all the Clips & Snips played with Sindt whistles). I already tried to email mr. Sindt couple of weeks ago with no luck (=no answer yet). Does anyone know if his still in the business? Or is there a better way to contact him than email?

2. Could anyone suggest a high D with a wide hole spacing? I have quite large hands and now mostly play my Generation Bb (a lovely whistle and key), but when the autumn comes I'll hopely be attending nearby towns sessions, so I'd need a comfortable high D. I currently own a Generation and Freeman Blackbird - does anyone know any more-large-handed-suitables?

Oh, that was quite a lot of text for a first post. Sorry - and sorry if my English is a little bit rusty. I don't get to use it much.

Best wishes,
-Juha
Feadoggie

Re: New member saying hello + two questions (big hands & Sindts)

Post by Feadoggie »

Hi and welcome to C&F and the world of whistles.
Nuppu wrote:Does anyone know if his still in the business? Or is there a better way to contact him than email?
John Sindt is still making whistles AFAIK. He makes a good whistle! It is vacation, festival and workshop season so he may be busy or out of town (that's just a guess on my part). Email should work. There is a snail-mail address and telephone number for him over on the main C&F website.
Nuppu wrote:Could anyone suggest a high D with a wide hole spacing?
Is the issue an overall spacing issue or are there particular holes that cause the problem? Would a whistle with a larger bore tube be more comfortable? In my experience, hole spacing is largely a function of physics and the holes on most well-designed whistles will generally be similarly sized and spaced. Staying within good design practice and adjusting hole sizes to widen the spacing would only achieve millimeters in difference on a high D whistle I am afraid. I have no immediate suggestions for you other than to try larger and lower pitched whistles, sorry. Maybe others here with large hands will have a suggestion.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree-- with minor differences, physics determines the spacing of a D whistle's holes. I'd say buy the Sindt (terrific whistle) and work on it bit by bit. Maybe a C whistle would be a good interim size in going from Bb to D. I've seen plenty of whistle players with very beefy hands playing D whistles successfully.
I remember when I picked up the mandolin, having been a guitar player. I couldn't imagine how anyone could squeeze their fingers onto that tiny fingerboard, but now I play it easily.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Check your PM(private messages).
I'm sending you the email address I've used to contact them recently.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

I've got beefy hands ...hands that have no business touching a whistle ...but i can play my Sindt Eb without any real issues. It really is just a matter of getting used to the instrument.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

No real problems with big hands and a Sindt D. A wide-bore Burke might be a little easier, or one of the wood whistles (Abell, Busman).
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

brewerpaul wrote:I agree-- with minor differences, physics determines the spacing of a D whistle's holes
I am only a beginner-maker but I am not sure that this is entirely correct. Making the holes larger diameter will move the holes further from the mouth and increase their spacing. My (admittedly limited) experience making a bass-A whistle indicated that the volume and sound improve as the holes move further south and get bigger. There are, of course, limits. A 13mm diameter hole in a 12mm diameter tube, for example, is an unstable solution. TWJCalc will show you a diagram of the hole placings as you change the sizes.

And my theory does not explain why so many whistle makers arrive at very similar solutions, if there are acceptable solutions outside the normal range.

However, I would subscribe to the 'buy the Sindt and persevere' school of thought. You could be perverse and use an A whistle to play D tunes on - though you may need to be inventive with folding. You could even try a G whistle for the G tunes - but I may get an told off for suggesting that. And, of course, you may be trying to talk yourself into a low D.........
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I have huge hands, size 13 ring, xl gloves etc. I play the Sindt D comfortably. Don't get trapped into thinking that large bore whistles necessarily have bigger holes or wider spacing. That's simply not the case. For example, I own Burke D's in both brass and composite and in both narrow and wide (session) bodies. The narrow bodies have wider spacing between the holes. In fact I sold my Burke Session Aluminum because the spacing was too tight for my hands. And sometimes the problem is that the holes are not necessarily closer together, measured center to center, but they are bigger and therefore harder to cover so they require more precise finger placement and there is less distance between the edges so they seem closer together. What I'm trying to make clear and may not have done very well is that it is a design issue and is maker dependent.

The Sindt will be fine for you. So will a Mellow Dog. Or a Burke narrow bore. And several others.

Good luck.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Nuppu

Post by Nuppu »

Thanks everyone, for the encouragement and suggestions!

And thanks Maki - that was actually the very same address I used, and I'm now happily on the waiting list. Mr. Sindt told me his about year behing on orders, so..

.. I'll wait. :)

And thank you brewerpaul - the advice about going from Bb to C to D seems very sensible. Makes me wonder why I didn't come to think that myself. But I guess this is what the forum about - sharing. I also had the same experience with guitar to mandolin transition (though I've sadly quit the mando since). It took a few months, but after that the mandolin was quite OK.

(Waiting for my Freeman Mellow Dog D/C set to arrive, btw. I guess they'll make great 'transition whistles' :D )
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have somewhat big man hands, so please take my question respectfully. What is going on with your hands that you have problems playing a D whistle? There is a high G Generation whistle at our local music store and I can't cover all the holes with my fingers all at once. I can't imagine how big your fingers must be to have this same problem with a D whistle. Am I not understanding?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I assure you that nearly everybody thinks, at some point toward the beginning, that
something is the matter with THEIR hands. Just keep playing. The Sindt D is a lovely whistle.
Nuppu

Post by Nuppu »

Feadoggie, you had a good point there, asking if it's particular holes causing the trouble. And yes indeed, that's the case. I'm playing right handed (right hand at the bottom), and it's especially right hand middle and index fingers and left hand ring finger that are tensing up the most. I guess that's got something to do with them touching each other.

I guess I'll just have to try to work with hand positioning. I've also practiced just really trying to keep those fingers relaxed (this is the kind of thing I've also been doing a bit with guitar, my main instrument. It has helped a lot with guitar, I think).

I'm sorry mutepointe, but I didn't quite undertand your question (or more specifically, the example about the G whistle). But tension is the main problem, and tension prevents free and accurate (&fast&independent) movement of the fingers. I guess it's also a matter of playing the Bb more and then having this feeling of 'squeezing' my fingers to a D spacing.

But I'll get it, sooner or later. :) Thanks again for the encouragement.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Here's a picture to illustrate the comparative size of High G Generation Whistle.
This is a set of Bb, C, D, Eb, F, & G. The G is the teeny, tiny little one. The holes are too close together on this whistle for me (and a whole lot of other adults) to play, not that a whole lot of people would want us to play this whistle. So there.

Keep at it, whistling is fun. Keep one in your car but don't play while you're driving.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦