About a FS first post

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
hiharin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

About a FS first post

Post by hiharin »

rorybbellows

Re: FS Michael Hubbert 3/4 Set in Concert D

Post by rorybbellows »

hiharin wrote: Please don't use the forum.
For a first time poster that seems like a contradiction of terms.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

This is now just an advertising board eh?? :really:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

rorybbellows wrote:
hiharin wrote: Please don't use the forum.
For a first time poster that seems like a contradiction of terms.

RORY
In fact, Rory, our OP is here adhering to long-established guidance on the Boards. Negotiation is not usually best done in public, and hereabouts we specifically ask people not to do that. The original guidance, which I presume our OP has found, asks that people include a note in their post requesting that offers are made, not on the forum, but by PM. I commend our OP for following Board guidelines. - Mod
Uilliam wrote:This is now just an advertising board eh?? :really:
No. But we do allow people to post notices offering instruments for sale. As far as I know we always have, and as far as I know, we always will. Offering a used instrument may well be of interest to other users of the Board. Truly commercial posts are a different matter, but even they are allowed in specific circumstances, with the usual assumption that the poster is, otherwise, a contributor to the helpful and welcoming discussions hereabouts. - Mod
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I was implying the phrase " Please dont use the forum" in a sarcastic context. Bear in mind its just my personal opinion but I think its just a bit cheeky to join the forum with the sole purpose of selling a set of pipes.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

rorybbellows wrote:I was implying the phrase " Please dont use the forum" in a sarcastic context.
I have no idea what this means. It's OK, though, Rory, I really don't feel I need to.
rorybbellows wrote:Bear in mind its just my personal opinion but I think its just a bit cheeky to join the forum with the sole purpose of selling a set of pipes.
Oh, I don't know. If, say, I wasn't yet a member of any forum here, but I had an expensive instrument that I needed to sell, I might well think of posting it here, where I've heard that the folks are knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming, and where the news of a decent instrument newly available might even be of some interest. Where better to spread the word? And who knows? If I found the friendly welcome that I'd heard of from others, I might even stick around and become a much-loved and valued member of the forum. Like you, Rory. :D

Meanwhile, welcome hiharin. I hope you do find enough of interest around here to stick around. Oh, and best of luck selling your pipes.
MTGuru

Re: About a FS first post

Post by MTGuru »

Adding to Ben's excellent comments:

Given the current global economic climate in which the Masters of the Universe are not quite finished raping the rest of us, the Chiffboard recognizes that the need to sell off one's instruments is a sad fact for many - some of whom are not regular posters here. So we're inclined to allow first posters a bit of leeway for now, recognizing that the Chiffboard may play a small role in helping out our fellow musicians and musical hobbyists.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

I have no idea what this means. It's OK, though, Rory, I really don't feel I need to.
Oh dear - falling hook line and sinker for Rory's post

By now I would have thought that everyone is aware of 'Rory' and his postings after a good session (drinking not piping that is) trying to score points

There is a separate forum section for posting 'instrument exchange' which may have been a better place but hiharin is a newby here so needs to be cut some slack

John
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Please make a donation ..no matter how small ye will help another
It's also a Donation Board as well.... :D
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I must be getting cynical in my old age but I have seen quite a few first time commercial posters "use" the forum to sell pipes and then are never heard of again.I hope and wish its not the case with hiharin. My trouble is that I like this forum but sometimes find it moves a little slow due to lack of participation, so I'm disappointed when the forum is used for selling pipes with no other involvement from the seller. But I do understand, that that is the way of it ,but I dont have to like it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's our preference too, Rory. But as I said, we're allowing some leeway.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

I have seen quite a few first time commercial posters "use" the forum to sell pipes and then are never heard of again.
Gee I wonder why they lose interest after they sell their pipes?? Let's be realistic, there are a percentage of folks who try the instrument and realize that they will never "make a fist of it." Chiff is a perfect forum for disposing of said instruments, to the benefit both of the seller and of our ongoing participants who might be looking for a set to buy.

There is no requirement that folks who join the Chiff Board actually participate in the conversation, and many simply read and learn. :thumbsup:
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

vanfleet wrote: and many simply read and learn. :thumbsup:
But there wont be anything to read if people dont participate and even the idiotic dribble that elmek comes out with is better than nothing

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

irishpiper wrote:

It always has .. :really: look at the hunger site box at the top..... :wink:

So...read on
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Uilliam wrote:
irishpiper wrote:

It always has .. :really: look at the hunger site box at the top..... :wink:

So...read on
Yes but unlike the hunger box; there is not a monthly post that requests donations from people on this forum. If they want to donate; they click on the link: End of story.

I find it ironic that for someone who wishes to seek donations to a great cause from the members of this forum; sure goes to great lengths to comment on other member’s topics. Members of whom you request their donations from, and some of those comments (as stated in your previous reply to this topic) may possibly offend and deter members from ever wanting to post more than (1) topic, much less donate to your cause.

Welcome to the forum Hiharin, and thank you for posting at least something that is related to Uilleann Pipes.