Which fingers for low D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cmgharris
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cmgharris »

I've just got a low D whistle.
The holes,obviously, are quite far apart, and it's quite a stretch to cover the 3 lower holes with the three middle fingers of my right hand.
Is that the normal way of doing it?
If not, which fingers cover which holes?

Thanks

Chris
Feadoggie

Re: Which fingers for low D whistle?

Post by Feadoggie »

Welcome to C&F. You may want to use the Super Duper Easy Grip (the grip formerly known as Piper's). Check out this thread for the details.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

you'll want to read this
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
cmgharris
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cmgharris »

Thanks to both, those links are just what I needed.
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

On the low D hole I found it easier to use my pinky finger tip instead of the ring finger of my right hand. First finger third pad over F sharp, second finger third joint pad over E. Top three holes I can play like a small whistle with finger tips... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

robert schuler wrote:On the low D hole I found it easier to use my pinky finger tip instead of the ring finger of my right hand. First finger third pad over F sharp, second finger third joint pad over E. Top three holes I can play like a small whistle with finger tips... Bob.
So to play a high D you have to train your right hand fingers to play differently. Do a lot of people do this? It doesn't sound very practical to me unless the piper's grip is not just difficult but physically impossible for some reason.
Jim

pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For those using their little finger for the lowest hole on a Low D, a hole could be drilled for the ring finger for F natural. It might take some getting used to but it would be nice to have a good solid F natural under your fingers. Have whistles been made like this? I think 10-hole fifes use something like that.

For myself, I've never had any problem fingering the lower hand of Low D whistles using the index, middle, and ring fingers. I play pipes and the hole spacing isn't much further apart on Low D whistles than it is on pipes. The problem I do have on Low D whistles is the hole spacing on the upper hand- I did the piper's grip thing for a while but have recently reverted to fingering the upper hand of the Low D the same way that I do on a higher whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

So to play a high D you have to train your right hand fingers to play differently. Do a lot of people do this? It doesn't sound very practical to me unless the piper's grip is not just difficult but physically impossible for some reason.

Jim I have only been playing low D for a month but so far because my hands are small I find it easier to use my pinky with the pipers grip. Because the Low D is so much bigger it feels like a totally different instrument so learning a different fingering method seemed natural. I can switch back to a high D and play it the way I and most folks always do. Its like going from a stick shift car to an automatic you just don;t think about it after a while... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

robert schuler wrote:Its like going from a stick shift car to an automatic you just don;t think about it after a while... Bob.
That I can do but your whistle trick would throw me for a loop, I think. Good that it works for you though ...it's a good "if there's a will, there's a way" story.
Jim

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's like when I go from uilleann pipes to Highland pipes to whistle- they all have different fingerings as well as different approaches to ornamentation and so forth but you don't have to think about it- just pick up whatever instrument and your hands know what to do.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jim, you are a guitarist, right? It's really no different than going from a mandolin - to a concert uke - to a guitar in standard tuning - to a guitar in double dropped D - then to a banjo, a dobro or the bass. Which I am sure you could do. You don't have to think about it, you just do it - provided you have spent sufficient time with those instruments to get your hands and mind used to the different scale lengths and tunings. We're pretty much plastic when it comes to adapting to such things I find.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

JTC111 wrote:
robert schuler wrote:On the low D hole I found it easier to use my pinky finger tip instead of the ring finger of my right hand. First finger third pad over F sharp, second finger third joint pad over E. Top three holes I can play like a small whistle with finger tips... Bob.
It's not that different or difficult to switch between pinkie and ring when moving between high and low whistles. I play with the pinkie on the low D as well.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

pancelticpiper wrote:For those using their little finger for the lowest hole on a Low D, a hole could be drilled for the ring finger for F natural. It might take some getting used to but it would be nice to have a good solid F natural under your fingers. Have whistles been made like this? I think 10-hole fifes use something like that.

For myself, I've never had any problem fingering the lower hand of Low D whistles using the index, middle, and ring fingers. I play pipes and the hole spacing isn't much further apart on Low D whistles than it is on pipes. The problem I do have on Low D whistles is the hole spacing on the upper hand- I did the piper's grip thing for a while but have recently reverted to fingering the upper hand of the Low D the same way that I do on a higher whistle.
I have short fingers. I use my pinky for the Low D as well. I would not like to add a hole - although there is plenty of room - because I'm holding the whistle with my right ring finger and thumb. If I went to the trouble of putting in a ring for a neck-strap, then an extra hole would not be a liability. But it's taking the instrument to another level. The times you would have to cover all four right-hand holes... If I wanted that degree of complexity I'd be on the Uillean pipes. I'm having enough fun with the Tabor pipe, which has even fewer holes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

There is only one rule here, always remember to use YOUR fingers. -No one else's will work... :D
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Denny

Post by Denny »

hah! I know lots of people with fingers that work better'n mine!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.