Low Ds v High Ds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wizzywig

Low Ds v High Ds

Post by wizzywig »

Just a point of interest.
Are you a high D player who plays low D as a second whistle or a low D player who plays high Ds as a second whistle?
Why?
I know many people have intermediate whistles but I'd like to keep other keys out of this for now.
I am a low D player first.

Wiz.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Low Ds v High Ds

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ofcourse there are also people who have no interest in the low whistle at all at all.

My brain hurts

James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

I'm interested in the low D.

The high D is shrill and piercing. I find it really annoying unless it's blown softly.

The low D is also closer to the repertoire I'm used to playing at its actual pitch. My Boehm flute goes down to a B below middle C, which is ideal, but very difficult to finger fast. In some ways, I'd say a low B would be ideal, since this would cover most of my repertoire needs. Low C ...not so useful.

I don't own a high D anymore. Got rid of all of mine thankfully when I shared apartments at university. I would've got beaten up otherwise :lol:
Raggle Taggle

Post by Raggle Taggle »

Like many, I started out with the high whistle. From there I moved to the low whistle which certainly did my ears a favour (and my wife's). Then I comitted a year of my life to learn flute embouchure. Now I swap between all three, although all my current high whistles are quietly voiced. They are handy for working out fingering without having to muster the huff of the flute.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

My MK Low D is my primary instrument, for Irish music.

When I go to sessions it's all I take, usually.

At a wedding Friday, and a church service Sunday, I played Highland pipes and the MK Low D.

I'm just not much of a high D person.

My first teacher/mentor, back in the 70s, played a Low D as his primary instrument, an early Overton.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play a D flute in sessions, and also sometimes the soprano D whistle. Once one plays flute it's easy to prefer it to low D whistle.
The soprano D whistle (I'm usually playing one of Jerry's now) can add a lovely quality to a session or ensemble,
though I don't play it so much alone. As to shrill, one can staccotto the high notes or actually play them
at the top of the bottom octave, shifting to the second octave as one descends.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

The high D is my main whistle for playing with others, as most of my playing now is for Morris dancing. It's ideal as I can play it for ages without getting out of breath or getting cramp, and it can be heard above melodeons & accordions. I'm actually low D-free right now, having just sold my Dixon polymer, but will get another if I find a nice-price Alba. Mostly though, my keyless Williams flute fulfills my low D needs.
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

(un)fortunately, i like something different about every key and whistle maker. sometimes low D, sometimes high, sometimes low F, sometimes Bb.
but to answer your question, I imagine most players are/were high D players, and if they decide to gravitate to low whistles, the low D is certainly the most common.
i do personally play my low D (MK, by the way :thumbsup: ) more than any of my high D's.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I, too, have an MK low D, which I think is outstanding.

Honestly, though, I play flute, high D and low D, in that order. As much as I enjoy it, the low D just hasn't claimed a solid place on the ticket yet. It just feels like a limited instrument, somehow. Maybe I need to lock the others up for a bit and focus in.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

crookedtune wrote:I, too, have an MK low D, which I think is outstanding.

Honestly, though, I play flute, high D and low D, in that order. As much as I enjoy it, the low D just hasn't claimed a solid place on the ticket yet. It just feels like a limited instrument, somehow. Maybe I need to lock the others up for a bit and focus in.
I am going to second that. The low D does feel somewhat limited. I play the high D daily, the low D... maybe every other day. I had an MK too... it was a great whistle. Not everything Misha makes it out to be (IMO), but then that's in my hands :wink: . The new owner likes it just fine. I play a Goldie/Overton now instead, and I like that one better, which is really all that matters - not the name.

I'd have to say that I like the high D better. It's more versatile, more portable, more fun. Shrill? You're doing it wrong, practice more. :lol:
Playing, not paying.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

If your high D is shrill or piercing, practice more or get another whistle. There are many, MANY high d's that are neither shrill nor piercing. I play high D several times every day.

I play low D every couple of days but I play other low whistles more. Low whistles are great and low D is nice but not for everyone and not always the best choice even when D is called for. I play high D far more for all the reasons others have listed above. Mainly I can keep them all over the place, car glovebox, jacket pocket, briefcase, top drawer in my office, tool kit etc.

But why limit yourself to D?
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I play my Goldfinch low D as first whistle, sometimes i take my Genaration Bb outdoor, but I want something lower pitched for outdoor practicing... maybe 3 piece low F will be good for me. Low whistles rules! ;)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ofcourse there are different strokes and no accounting for taste. However, I don't think a decent whistle needs to sound overly shrill in the high notes.

To put the notion to the test I played a tune I originally learned as An Port Ard, The High Jig (for obvious reasons). The composer has since named it as Mo Grá Thú. A quick once over: here
My brain hurts

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Certainly nothing "shrill" there, Mr. Gumby.

Now that we are comfortably esconced up in Hudson, NY, I have entered a period of daily practice and learning and am playing almost exclusively high D.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

I play mostly low whistle, though I still try to learn dance music on the high whistle. The high whistle seems more nimble, but that may be due to my lack of skill. I do find that my high whistles have more of an effect upon my ears if I play them in a confined space.

@MrG. Nice playing. Nothing shrill there at all. Wish I could do that.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.