View inside my workshop

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

View inside my workshop

Post by Casey Burns »

Well I decided to boost production while trying out Delrin, so I hired a few local kids I know who are fresh out of college and needing work.

Here is a view inside my workshop this morning, from my Shop Cam:

I expect to boost output from about 2 flutes every other month to maybe 1 flute every month. If I am lucky.

Casey
Last edited by Casey Burns on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Burns

Re: View inside my workshop

Post by Casey Burns »

I really envy these guys. They get to sit down while working at their lathes. My knees are shot from standing at the lathe for 30 years, the last 20 on a concrete floor!

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

The other lesson to learn from this photo is that all of these old flutes we treasure and play were made by people who regularly used spittoons - while making and playing these flutes. Very hygienic.

Maybe all that chewed tobacco is how old Boxwood gets its patina.....

Casey
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think you are underestimating the antimicrobial/fungal properties of nicotine.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Casey Burns wrote:I really envy these guys. They get to sit down while working at their lathes. My knees are shot from standing at the lathe for 30 years, the last 20 on a concrete floor!
My tiny workshop is carpeted (it was once [previous owners] the main bedroom)! I stand doing lathe work and sit doing drilling and filing etc. work, just like the guys in the photo. Lovely pic!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

hans wrote:
Casey Burns wrote:I really envy these guys. They get to sit down while working at their lathes. My knees are shot from standing at the lathe for 30 years, the last 20 on a concrete floor!
My tiny workshop is carpeted (it was once [previous owners] the main bedroom)! I stand doing lathe work and sit doing drilling and filing etc. work, just like the guys in the photo. Lovely pic!
I have a workbench with small lathe and two work tables in the front carpeted bedroom on the main floor of our house. I have a good view of what is going on outside. I usually sit on a stool when I am at the lathe. My other machine tools (belt/disk sander, miter saw, three drill presses, grinder, shop vac, and polishing machine) are in the basement. I usually stand on rubber mats to operate the machine tools, although I have two stools that I can use when I am in the mood. I also have a vintage concrete double wash tub that I have converted into a hand-sanding station for the water-sanding of the pvc flute bodies. I usually stand to do this, but I can do this sitting down if my back is bothering me.
Jay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I'm curious to know how many flutes a flute maker typically makes, say in a month. Or how many hours go into making a keyless verses a keyed flute?
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

How many flutes could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck flutes?

The answer is in there and involves quantum math. It all depends upon how many naps one needs in a typical day. I seem to need more of them.

I average about 150-200 a year, depending upon my health and enthusiasm and economic circumstances.

Casey
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

Just be sure to maintain your stringent quality control with those college kids.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

doogieman wrote:Just be sure to maintain your stringent quality control with those college kids.
and if they complain about the white shirts and ties, show them the door.
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

In all seriousness, are you now making delrin flutes and are you taking orders for that now????
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

The Delrin just arrived and is sitting here in my office. Actually I am more interested in the 8' long 4" diameter cardboard tube than the contents inside. I want to make a big fife out of it. Will require 4 people to play (one for the embouchure, 3 for the 6 patented tone holes).

I can't say for sure about the Delrin till I try it but I suspect I won't be using this. But for sure I will be using Cast Acrylic Resin and Alternative Ivory. I am accepting orders for the latter in my Folk Flute line - but email me at caseyburnsflutes@gmail.com to discuss, rather than here. I merely wanted to report my progress using these materials.

Casey
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Casey Burns wrote: Actually I am more interested in the 8' long 4" diameter cardboard tube than the contents inside. I want to make a big fife out of it. Will require 4 people to play (one for the embouchure, 3 for the 6 patented tone holes).
Great minds think alike, I guess. Daniel, you better get working on the patent papers.

Casey, do let us know what turns out from your polymers.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

Casey,

I knew if anyone would, you would have a shop dress code!!!!!

I'll do the blowin' on the big flute, you do the fingerin', I'd be just like Lark camp all over again! :poke:

JD
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What a different world that was that there was a need for so many flutes and flute makers. Thanks for the picture.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦