Rudall Headjoint on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Rudall Headjoint on ebay

Post by dunnp »

radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: Rudall Headjoint on ebay

Post by radcliff »

dunnp wrote:anybody have just a body?
Sounds like a philosophical question...
Nice head, I wonder why the man is selling it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wonder if these are worth having? I've read that modern replacements are often
superior to originals. Certainly not uncommon for people who get old Rudalls
to have a new headjoint made. This one has a circular embouchure hole, too. Might be disappointing.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jim stone wrote:I've read that modern replacements are oftensuperior to originals.
Where? Do you have a source? I'm genuinely curious, because, in my admittedly limited experience, some of the old headjoints are fantastic.
jim stone wrote:This one has a circular embouchure hole, too. Might be disappointing.
Why? I have one old flute with a circular embouchure. It's certainly different, but equally certainly not "disappointing". But that's just one. Is there a tendency for circular embouchure cuts to be less good than other shapes? There's probably an old thread here that would give me an answer I suppose. I'll go and look ... but in the meantime, any info, Jim?
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

This one has a circular embouchure hole, too. Might be disappointing.

Why would the circular hole be a problem and possibly disappointing? Or did I not understand you...?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

the original headjoint on my R&R is really great, peter Noy make a second one which is very different and i usually use, but each time i switch to the original i'm taken by how great it plays, and the embouchure seems very similar.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Julia Delaney wrote:This one has a circular embouchure hole, too. Might be disappointing.

Why would the circular hole be a problem and possibly disappointing? Or did I not understand you...?
I wonder that too. I have round emb. It's powerful and reedy or sweet if you want it.

If one is disappointed it a vintage RR round emb it just might not be the flute.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I like circular embouchure's and have played them a good deal on Doug's flutes,
but never on a standard "Irish' wooden flute.
As Ben said, the sound is different. I was raising tentative questions and tentative
doubts. I was wondering if the difference would produce the sort of sound
many want in playing ITM as well as the oval embouchure does.

I don't remember, in fact, who said that contemporary replacements are often
better than original RR headjoints. (Note, by the way, that this is consistent with
there being some fine original headjoints.) I read it here from someone I respect, as best
I can recall. Actually searched but can't find it. There's no need to put any stock in it, certainly.
My own experiences with
original Rudall headjoints are limited and less good, but I don't think they
amount to anything solid.

I'm pleased to read these reports of great original head joints. Was wondering
about this sort of thing. Thanks for the responses.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jim stone wrote:I like circular embouchure's and have played them a good deal on Doug's flutes,
As Ben said, the sound is different. I was raising tentative questions and tentative

better than original RR headjoints. (Note, by the way, that this is consistent with
there being some fine original headjoints.) I read it here from someone I respect, as best
I can recall. Actually searched but can't find it. There's no need to put any stock in it, certainly.
My own experiences with

Jim, I was wondering if you already play a Rudall-style flute at all? My initial impression when trying out Jon C.'s flutes and instruments he had in for repair was that I couldn't even make a sound on one, so I certainly didn't understand the attraction. I was used to a Hammy Hamilton Pratten-style. Eventually I got the hang of the Rudalls.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Nice head, I wonder why the man is selling it
from what i understand (and the seller did reach out to me on it) it was because a flute he had purchased had this rudall/rose head joint on it. the flute was not a rudall.

Sort of like the olden days' version of us putting moder hj on an antique flute.

anyways, that's the only reason as far as I know.

I have several rudall original headjoints that are marvelous, some small and round emb and others oval and larger.
some RR emb cuts were very steep chimneys (isn't that what Wilkes favored? I remember Andrew Kirby r.i.p. telling me that) and others much more forgiving, or as Andrew used to say, "flabby."
Modern HJ tend to have a different sound for little more reason, I believe, than the thickness (or depth) of the chimney. They give more horsepower.....but some flutes don't require it, so it's sort of like putting a Lamborghini engine in a
VW Beetle.
Pratten emb tend to be larger ovals with some exceptions, but for the most part that's how they were.

The question on the eBay hj is not its shape but rather its undercutting.
And all things equal, the only disappointment would be an unskilled lip unable to produce the narrow airstream to produce a strong tone with a very vertical undercutting.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

jim stone wrote:I don't remember, in fact, who said that contemporary replacements are often
I can recall. Actually searched but can't find it.
Is it possible it was a remark of mine, Jim, from my http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/FluteTone-P ... ations.htm?

23. New heads on old flutes

It's my routine experience that a 19th century flute usually benefits dramatically from being fitted with a new head. I'd feel better about that, if I could always confidently point to what's wrong with the old head. Sometimes it's obvious, and that's fine. But I've had many cases of old heads that just don't sound good. I've tested them for leakage, replaced stoppers, inspected them for damage to the edge or chimney and found nothing. Clearly I need to look harder!

It is a topic I intend to research more thoroughly, although it's hard to know where to start!

Terry

[Proscribed material removed - Mod]
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I like to restore the flute with the original head joint if possible. I think the original embouchure is really the soul of the flute, designed to work best for the flute. Of course when you have the head designed for a different frequency, or damaged beyond repair, then I can see it. My favorite embouchure cut was done on the flute made by Wylde.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
plamas

Post by plamas »

I'd have to say, having asked the seller to post a pic of the embouchure, that this is a recut embouchure. I have never seen a circular Rudall embouchure of that size, and I'd be doubtful that in fact they ever made heads with circular embouchures, only for the fact that they would make anything that was asked of them, and so it's possible from that point of view.
That said, it might play well, or it might not. I'd suggest not, based on the fact that the seller says it's 12mm across, and that would make it very difficult to control.
So what you'd be getting here is a Rudall head, but not a Rudall embouchure.
All the Best
Hammy
Paul McGlinchey

Post by Paul McGlinchey »

I have had a closer look at it. It does not look altered in any way.

Out of interest, I measured the embrouchure on my R&R 2370. It is boxwood with an ivory inlay. 12mm in length, 11mm in width.

Paul
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

kkrell wrote:
jim stone wrote:I like circular embouchure's and have played them a good deal on Doug's flutes,

My own experiences with

Jim, I was wondering if you already play a Rudall-style flute at all? My initial impression when trying out Jon C.'s flutes and instruments he had in for repair was that I couldn't even make a sound on one, so I certainly didn't understand the attraction. I was used to a Hammy Hamilton Pratten-style. Eventually I got the hang of the Rudalls.
Yes, I play Rudall-style flutes chiefly, including one from the 19th century.