OT: What's Your Zodiac (Sun) Sign? Theory to be tested

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Not that I put any stock in it but my birthday is June 22. I think astrology and religion have a lot in common. They help people try to make sense of a world that is alternately beautiful and cruel. Whatever works for you as long as you don't try to convert me.
Mike
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

Herpes the Cow
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

On 2003-02-25 14:26, markv wrote:
Just to add another data point for Martin, June 23, the crabby one
Year of the Boar

Mark V.
WHEW! I was afraid I was the only one! Add June 26th to the list, but tag me as Year of the Dog.

I'm described by friends as an extremely extroverted introvert with an intense fear of success, so I'm scared to death to play in public, but do so to overcome my fears. ...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Libra.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

On 2003-02-25 12:52, Chuck_Clark wrote:
And, FWIW, I agree with Thurlowe. The notion that the positions of several stars billins of miles away and of a couple of planets millions of miles away at the time of one's birth could somehow control that person's entire life is the oldest, most cherished and absolutely most ludicrous of humanity's various superstitions. I've yet to meet an astrologer that could even balance his/her checkbook, yet they claim to be able to make complex calculations based on a bunch of stars whose light left them thousands of years before the date of the sucker's birth. :roll:
As I remember from astronomy class a couple decades ago, the Zodiac signs are out of sync now. So, if your sign is, for example, Leo, the sun wasn't really IN Leo when you were born (assuming you aren't a couple thousand years old).

So, I agree that this is bunk, but I think it's harmless bunk, and I'm all for humoring Englishmen.

Oct.2, Libra. I play in public at open sessions twice a week, but if you called it a "performance" I'd have a much harder time doing it. I don't like it when the coffeehouse patrons clap after a tune -- I'd rather forget that anyone else is listening. I don't know what animal (Chinese year) my year was, but it should have been the chicken!

Sarah

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HDSarah on 2003-02-25 15:50 ]</font>
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Hey, Feb. 25 here :smile:
Jef
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

On 2003-02-25 15:51, Jeferson wrote:
Hey, Feb. 25 here :smile:
Jef
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFERSON!!

Sarah
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Libra, Sept 24 (it was a Thursday at 10:30 pm...I knew you'd want to know!)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Capricorn, cusp Aquarius (this I know from Google, that all-powerful fount of knowledge). But, yep, I think it's bunk. People make the same sorts of claims for numerology, phrenology, palm reading, and on and on, and each of these is held as absolutely infallible by some adherents.

A couple interesting things:

1. In his excellent book "Unweaving the Rainbow", Richard Dawkins makes a number of good arguments in one chapter for the invalidity of astrological thinking, but also makes an interesting observation: that astrologers make comments that would never be tolerated if they were in a different form. For instance, that people born under one particular Zodiac sign should not date people of another given sign; imagine if someone were to say, for example, "Irish should never date Chinese." Uninformed bigotry in any form should be discouraged.

2. When I was in college, a professor had each student provide their birth date, time, place, and so on and "sent the info out to an astrologer for individual readings." A couple weeks later, we each got our readings and read them in class, and people were amazed at how accurate they were, even in fairly specific instances. Then the prof had everybody hand their chart to the person behind them, and the amazed gasps turned to groans as everyone realized that the readings were all identical -- each student had the exact same text -- and we had a little discussion about statistics, knowing your probable audience, etc. Very similar to the "cold reading" technique used by magicians and "psychics" to produce seemingly amazing predictions. It was a good object lesson. . .
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

June 4, 1983. Makes me a Gemini I guess.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-25 16:36, Snuh wrote:
June 4, 1983. Makes me a Gemini I guess.
Thank goodness, another Gemini! We (myself and I, that is) were beginning to get a bit lonely!

Redwolf

P.S. I don't buy into astrology either. My stock answer in the '70s, when everybody was into asking "what's your sign" was (depending on my mood) "Stop," "Yield" or "Tow-Away Zone" :wink:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Aries

I perform in public regularly.

Patrick
atarango

Post by atarango »

Wow! Lots of Geminis...

June 7, Gemini
Year of the goat....

-Angela
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

April 2, pretty much smack dab in the middle of Aries. If you follow the thinking, it would explain
my penchant for following paths less traveled, supposedly (such as IrTrad, imagine that). :smile:

N, Aries go Bragh