Astronomy Spam?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Astronomy Spam?

Post by benhall.1 »

Denny wrote:if ya allow musicians into a pub it's a safe bet that they'll take an astronomy break now and then.
Now y're just taking the ...

... break.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Denny has been, uh, solicited.
I think he said the last time was in 1973, though.
Denny wrote:if ya allow musicians into a pub it's a safe bet that they'll take an astronomy break now and then.
Sure and don't we all like a chance to hang out with the stars.

Nice touch messin' with the Pub name, MTGuru. :lol: :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Nanohedron wrote: Nice touch messin' with the Pub name, MTGuru. :lol: :thumbsup:
Me, I would have gone with 'Astronomy Shillelagh', but I think we can make this work.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

crookedtune wrote:Me, I would have gone with 'Astronomy Shillelagh', but I think we can make this work.
Either will make people see stars.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Denny has been, uh, solicited.
I think he said the last time was in 1973, though.
'74 :D there's some fond memories
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jäger wrote:...I demand more posts about your cat.
I used to do a series that I titled "My Cat Is So Weird". I think I got as far as installation #6 after which it seemed to me that there really wasn't any more weirdness left to report that is unique to her beyond what is usual.

But did I tell you that her cry isn't so much a meow as it is a bleat? And of course she eats grass. I have a cat-goat.
A cat-goat, eh? I guess you could make that out to her being a coat, then. That'd really freak people out, wouldn't it? "Oh, my coat got up to some craaazy stuff last night!"
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jäger wrote:...I demand more posts about your cat.
I used to do a series that I titled "My Cat Is So Weird". I think I got as far as installation #6 after which it seemed to me that there really wasn't any more weirdness left to report that is unique to her beyond what is usual.

But did I tell you that her cry isn't so much a meow as it is a bleat? And of course she eats grass. I have a cat-goat.
A cat that barks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cps
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It could be a lot worse, lemme tellya. We had an influx of Cricketers at the Prince Albert last night. It's not the first time. The Bag and Dodger was infested with Cricketers the first time the Folk Club met there under its new landlord.
They are all fairly quiet on the cricket pitch, oh yes, apart from an occasional "Howzat!" but when they get in to the pub afterwards they bray at the tops of their voices. Never liked cricket. Even the little green ones are noisy.
We were hastily rearranging our numbers for the noisiest stuff with the loudest choruses.
Ambient noise

Chorus:
Please keep up the chatter at the back!
Please keep up the chatter at the back;
A little bit of background noise
Helps us sustain our equipoise:
So please keep up the chatter at the back!

Classical musicians call for silence
They insist on it when tuning up their violins
But Folk musicians have no fear
We rather that you didn't hear,

Chorus

Sometimes our voices get a bit unsteady
And everybody always knows the words already
Sometimes the singer gets it wrong:
Embarrassment can kill a song

Chorus

Penny whistles are a damned infernal nuisance
You're better off ignoring their insousiance
And when accordians start to play
Just raise your voices to a bray
And please keep up the chatter at the back!

Chorus

If you listen to the words you'll get our measure
We are playing for the misery not the pleasure;
If we think it's got too quiet
We'll have a fight and start a riot,
Astronomers are civilised and moderately quiet. We used to get a bit of peotry and philophosy in here from time to time. Since the management took away the boxing rings in the carpark most of that lot seem to have decamped.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

Astronomers are civilised and moderately quiet. We used to get a bit of peotry and philophosy in here from time to time. Since the management took away the boxing rings in the carpark most of that lot seem to have decamped.
The star parties we attended were loud raucous affairs. Empties and lawn chairs scattered about, shadowy seated figures with chins resting on slowly rising and falling chests, horrible, dreadful noises filling the night air...
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:The amount of Astronomy postings here borders on SPAM.
Denny posts one a day, which is hardly an insurmountable hardship to anyone. I and I'm sure many others quite like them.

Grit your teeth and endure! If fortitude doesn't work, don't read the thread.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

s1m0n wrote:Grit your teeth and endure! If fortitude doesn't work, don't read the thread.
This is the method I try to use with the comic Family Circus. In don't know what it is about that comic in the news paper, but for some reason the aspartame sweet, cutesy, lacking in substance scribble annoys me. Yet due to its oversize, one frame, simplistically captioned nature just glancing past it is enough to fully convey the comic. Perhaps for me it is the same phenomena that makes it harder not to think of "X" when told not to think of "X", but there it is. At least with a thread one has to consciously click on the link to view it.
Now who will be the first to post one of those comics.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Anything, as long as it's not conventional sports is fine with me.

Thomas, please feel free to start some threads on topics that interest you. They may interest us as well, although I doubt as much as folks remain interested in getting an invitation onto my island yacht. The answer remains "NO" folks. But thanks for thinking of me.
Last edited by mutepointe on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

mutepointe wrote:The answer remains "NO" folks.
How about if I promise to go topless?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I did not attack anyone and I said I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings...But how many people would post ITM,Tinwhistle chatter and Music culture at the NASA Hubble photo messageboard? It just didn't seem to fit the paradigm Of "Chiff and Fipple". I promise to put my tail between my legs and go lurk in the shadows again. TTFN
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com