A theory question, if I may.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTC111
antispam: No

Re: A theory question, if I may.....

Post by JTC111 »

dspmusik wrote:yes, technically "Asus" is not enough information. it has to be Asus2 (ABE) or Asus4(ADE).
I'm thinking about what you said there and I'm trying to decide if I've noticed something in the spoken musical nomenclature over many years. I make the same assumption many others make when I hear anyone refer to a chord as Asus (or whatever major triad they're starting from) I interpret that to mean Asus4. But I think I've also heard people simply ask for a "sus4" occasionally and I think that has always referred to the root chord.

Anyone else ever come across this?

I'm not sure if this is SOP in some circles or if whoever I heard say it didn't know any better.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

well, if someone just calls for an "Asus" chord, and people play both Asus2 as well as Asus4, you will be getting the notes A,B,D and E. and if someone else says, "I don't know an Asus chord, I'll just play A, that should be fine", you could possibly be getting A,B,C#,D and E! 5 of the 7 notes in the key!
...and to go further down the rabbit hole, Asus4 (A,D,E) IS the same chord as Dsus2 (D,E,A). so every sus4 chord is the same as a sus2 chord a 4th higher. :shock:
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

dspmusik wrote:well, if someone just calls for an "Asus" chord, and people play both Asus2 as well as Asus4, you will be getting the notes A,B,D and E. and if someone else says, "I don't know an Asus chord, I'll just play A, that should be fine", you could possibly be getting A,B,C#,D and E! 5 of the 7 notes in the key!
If someone calls for an Asus chord, anyone who plays anything other than an Asus4 should've sat out the tune. As MT said, "Asus" alone implies a suspended 4th chord.
dspmusik wrote:...and to go further down the rabbit hole, Asus4 (A,D,E) IS the same chord as Dsus2 (D,E,A). so every sus4 chord is the same as a sus2 chord a 4th higher. :shock:
Yeah, but that's not unusual in music. For example, a CMaj7 chord has the same notes as an Em6 chord. What you call it will most often be determined by the key signature of the song/tune or the note you play in the bass (at the bottom of the chord).
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com