"Flutes Order" fraud email

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pflipp
antispam: No

"Flutes Order" fraud email

Post by pflipp »

This is just a head's up.

I received an e-mail today in which someone wanted to order a flute with me, preferably by "valid credit card". The fact that it was sent by BCC to me implies that it was also sent to others. The fact that I don't have a shop implies some odd intentions...

This forum would be one of the few places connecting my personal e-mail address with my interests, so for that reason, this head's up. (E-mail address is visibible for logged in users, I might turn that off now...)
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: potential fraud email concerning flute buying

Post by kkrell »

Not potential, but actual, I'm sure.

Take their deposit, and put them on a 14-year waiting list. :lol:
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

" Flutes Order"

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I received this obviously legit request in an email this AM and of course will follow up on it in hopes of doing business with this individual :D :boggle:

Good Day,

I want to make an order for flutes at your shop. Let me know the types you offer,the price quotations and when it will be ready for pick-up.I would also like to know the mode of payment you do accept since it will be more convenient for me to pay using my valid credit card.Please advice.

Percy smit
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: " Flutes Order"

Post by benhall.1 »

I got that, too. I too am hooping for significan bisines
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Perhaps we can merge this with the original thread and post there.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82711
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I got that one too. Sorry, Percy, but you got deleted fast.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:Perhaps we can merge this with the original thread and post there.
Yes, done, and combined titles.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dunnp

Re: "Flutes Order" fraud email

Post by dunnp »

Oh got it as well today. I was confused as well.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Isn't Percy Smith one of the up and coming great Irish Flute players (from Nigeria perhaps. He's a friend and entertainer to the Nigerian Bank Scammers)? Or perhaps he has the World's Biggest Case of flute acquisition disorder.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Oh, I dunno. Seems legit to me...
He starts with "Good Day" which, as we all know, is how civilised British persons address one another before taking tiffin or a spot of croquet on the lawn.

"I want to make an order for flutes at your shop. Let me know the types you offer,the price quotations and when it will be ready for pick-up". Again, nothing surprising there. I'm sure loads of people offer to bulk buy flutes without knowing anything about the 'types'.

"I would also like to know the mode of payment you do accept since it will be more convenient for me to pay using my valid credit card.Please advice". See, he even offers to use his valid credit card, rather than one of his many invalid ones. Obviously bona fide.

"Percy smit". Now, if you can't trust someone with a 1950s English name like Percy to buy a sh!tload of flutes from you, who can you trust?

m.d.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i got it too; i told him to send me a check. :)

but actually, thanks for posting this... i tend to be trusting of people, even if they have bad grammar. :) i probably would have sent him my paypal address, if he actually requested a specific item. i'm not sure how much trouble he could have caused me with that, but better not to go there...

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I didn't get one — should I feel left out?

All I found in my spam filter today was an offer to help settle an estate in Burkina Faso, a winning lottery ticket from Ghana and two offers of marriage (or the like) from Canada (!!!).

Maybe tomorrow.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

Steve Bliven wrote:I didn't get one — should I feel left out?

Steve
Yes you should! Even I got one from a 'Percy Smit'.

He had left the 'h' off his surname.

How did they cream our emails btw?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I remember getting something like that a while ago; it has long since been deleted but if I remember correctly it was probably the same thing.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

James_Alto wrote:How did they cream our emails btw?
Easy enough, some of us have our Email buttons included below our posts, and the HTML that displays the page includes them. For instance, in this thread, in Firefox, use "View->Page Source", then search ("Edit->Find") for "mailto:". Find 'em and strip 'em out.