Yet another Elf Song review.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nickt »

A couple of months back I sold some whistles, but kept a bit back to buy an Elf Song and it arrived at the weekend!

As you may know I'm the world's biggest fan of the Rose blackwood, but I'm not the world's biggest fan of taking it travelling with me, so I've been on the prowl for a metal (read: durable), decent quality "travelling" whistle. It's been a problem, because while I believe I'll never match the Rose and am okay with that, I do at least wish to get close in sound; i.e. sweet, pure, good volume, little/no breathiness, responsive, tonally accurate, etc.

I started with the Dixon brass slide, and that has continued to be my "fallback" whistle, but it is not lasting the pace with the tuning slide loosening up and overall lacking durability; good tone though.

Next was the Sindt, but returned the same day - great whistle, but way too breathy for my taste. I loved its look and quality, but knew immediately I'd never settle for the sound.

Then (following several recommendations) I went for the Burke DAS AlPro. Again, excellent whistle, beautiful engineering - but I did find it a bit weak, particularly bottom D & E. The crunch came after a couple of hours when I picked up the Dixon and found the tone stronger and purer; so the Burke would've ended up gathering dust.

All the Elfsong rave reviews got to me, so I contacted Sandy just before Xmas, and here it is! I went for the polished copper with polished brass head - therefore very shiny (I just love "shiny" being a Leo). I was surprised by how "squat" it appeared - seemingly short for the width of the tube, with fairly large holes but a particularly small F# hole. In fact the holes seemed close to each other, but in comparing to other whistles they're about the same (the gap between the G and F# holes is smaller, so your hands sit a bit closer to each other. Not a drama). I also found it fairly heavy in comparison, something I like a lot; not as heavy as the Sindt, but also not head-heavy like the Sindt (but heavier than the Burke, understandable as that's aluminium).

Now the sound. Instantly responsive, pure, no breathiness, good volume, rather more mellow than "sweet" (I think that's to do with a wider bore; I get the feeling that a narrower bore gives a sweeter sound). I've now played it quite a bit and like it more and more; I've gone back to the Dixon a couple of times, and guess what? I prefer the Elfsong! Then I got out the Rose and was amazed to discover that the sound is very similar - the same responsiveness and purity with the same tonal quality (the Rose still pips it and has a tad more volume, but hey...)

Then I realised - my search is OVER! I've found it, the metal travelling whistle I've been looking for!

Some extra points: I like the long beak on the Elfsong and the plug is quite thick rather than being flush with the curve of the mouthpiece - this actually makes it more comfortable in the mouth. It looks lovely, but the engineering of the Sindts and Burkes is a bit better IMO. The head/body fit is tight and do-able, but is better done with the other two. Tonally, she's spot on, though needs to be given some welly in the upper register to prevent going a touch flat - but that gives a strong balanced tone, and is a plus. OXXOOO CNat is fine if not quite spot on (but sounds perfectly okay). The finish is excellent, and the varnishing gives me the sense that the durability I've been seeking is there big time.

Finally, and to reiterate what so many others have said, Sandy's service is outstanding. She was always very helpful and responsive, and produced what I asked for right on cue. She also made a whistle that would be responsive, pure and sounding as I described what I wanted from a whistle (so mine may not be Elfsong "standard"). What's more, ordering in December meant I got the free CD offer - and it's a good CD. Thank you Sandy!

Overall, I'm very very pleased and cannot praise Sandy enough! She's planning a low D later this year, so that will be very interesting...

Nick
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Nick, that's a splendid Elfsong review. I'll be blaming you as well as Redwolf when I'm forced to order.

But you completely forgot the most important detail. Which colour scheme did you go for?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Read back : just bi-color. Like blonde head, and red-hair, er... tube.

My god, what an awful taste! It's the kind to play only when you wear two-tone shoes, or white gaiters on prune patent-leathers. Just lets you known as a real tough kid at the Jollly Smugglers' speekeasy.

Seriously, Wombat would you ever <i>consider</i> buying a two-tone whistle, except for some Rio Carnival?

OK, I'm having one made, but this is just to tease people at the next Oktoberfest Bier Festival... :lol:

PS: glad the little you spared came out to give you a big pleasure, NickT. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-25 10:03 ]</font>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-25 09:59, Zubivka wrote:
Read back : just bi-color. Like blonde head, and red-hair, er... tube.
Yikes! You're right. When describing Elfsongs my mind can only process terms like 'springtime frolic' and 'test tube disaster'.
My god, what an awful taste! It's the kind to play only when you wear two-tone shoes, or white gaiters on prune patent-leathers. Just lets you known as a real tough kid at the Jollly Smugglers' speekeasy.

Seriously, Wombat would you ever <i>consider</i> buying a two-tone whistle, except for some Rio Carnival?

OK, I'm having one made, but this is just to tease people at the next Oktoberfest Bier Festival... :lol:
Well, Paul Busman has dreamt up quite an interesting little colour scheme for me but it had better remain a secret until we know it's going to work. And I can tell you it will be in the best of taste. :wink: And we won't be relying on drunken Germans to confirm our good taste.

Just think of it this way. Sandy laid down the challenge, but now it's time for the wood to fight back. :razz:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2003-02-25 10:54, Wombat wrote:

Yikes! You're right. When describing Elfsongs my mind can only process terms like 'springtime frolic' and 'test tube disaster'.
Or 'winter sneeze'.

I'm still in shock that Nickt is playing a whistle that isn't a Rose.

Nick also got me thinking, I wonder what the Zodiac sign spread of this board is. Leos are famous for liking the limelight - actors, politicians, army generals and especially musicians. I wonder if they are heavily over-represented on this board. Maybe time for a "Hands up if you're a Leo" thread?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2003-02-25 11:49, Martin Milner wrote:

I'm still in shock that Nickt is playing a whistle that isn't a Rose.

Nick also got me thinking, I wonder what the Zodiac sign spread of this board is. Leos are famous for liking the limelight - actors, politicians, army generals and especially musicians. I wonder if they are heavily over-represented on this board. Maybe time for a "Hands up if you're a Leo" thread?
Well, of course I am still playing my Rose! But at least now I have another with which to travel.

You could just start that astrology thread Martin - I'd do it myself, but I can just hear the global groan of "only a Leo would start something like that"! It would be interesting to get a stat survey of the astro spread of C&Fers
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nick, I'm also a Leo!

However, I'll get the ball rolling, Leos unite, I say!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I was born under the sign of the Seahorse (but Schnauzer ascendant).

That must me why I'm a bit crossed* NickT beat me on the first red-butted blonde "plumber's fantasm" whistle. And don't forget the Teflon strip around her waist...
It probably looks so tacky that's why we don't see pixies (hint : want me to host it, NickT ?) or maybe they all sold out on Carnaby St.
Beside, bi-metalism will take its toll. Just try wire a flashlight bulb + on the brass, -- on the copper: get a cool Tchernobyl whistle for dimlit sessions... Play a trill and it goes AC/DC :razz:

(*)See, I'm not even jealous, huh.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-02-25 10:54, Wombat wrote:
On 2003-02-25 09:59, Zubivka wrote:
Well, Paul Busman has dreamt up quite an interesting little colour scheme for me but it had better remain a secret until we know it's going to work.
(...)
Just think of it this way. Sandy laid down the challenge, but now it's time for the wood to fight back. :razz:
Shhhhh.... It's a secret.

But we have meeeans to make you talk, mein vriend! See how (retired) journalists get provocative in order to force information leaks? :razz:

Anyway, we'll know when your two-tone patent leather pattern is ready when Paul will alter his signature to
"Gone to the woodS ?"
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

The best thing about your review Nick is that you got your whistle, which means that mine can`t be far behind. :grin:

BRING IT ON SANDY

Tom
atarango

Post by atarango »

I am with blackbeer- mine also can't be far behind- ooh I can't wait. I hope it gets here in time for my music school concert in April......
-Angela
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

I've been sending emails back and forth with Sandy today and just sent her my order for a D in copper and a C/D combo (one head and two bodies) in brass. The C's and D's are now available in both copper and brass.

Sandy says that the current estimated wait is six weeks. So hopefully by mid April I should have my new ElfSongs.

In case anyone is curious: Fall Flurry, Silver Marble and Royal Lavender Marble for the three bodies.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-25 18:14, Mike J wrote:
I've been sending emails back and forth with Sandy today and just sent her my order for a D in copper and a C/D combo (one head and two bodies) in brass. The C's and D's are now available in both copper and brass.

Sandy says that the current estimated wait is six weeks. So hopefully by mid April I should have my new ElfSongs.

In case anyone is curious: Fall Flurry, Silver Marble and Royal Lavender Marble for the three bodies.
Oooo! Three of my favorite color schemes! I may someday pick up a couple of extra tubes...one in Fall Flurry and one in either Silver Marble or White Marble.

Redwolf
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

Did anyone compare the brass C or D with a copper C or D? I'd love to hear the difference in sound ... for I'm about to order a combo myself.

Or maybe anyone has a brass F/G and can say anything about the difference in sound compared to a copper C/D.

Love all the reviews! Thanks.
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

On 2003-02-26 02:52, Hoed wrote:
Did anyone compare the brass C or D with a copper C or D? I'd love to hear the difference in sound ... for I'm about to order a combo myself.

Or maybe anyone has a brass F/G and can say anything about the difference in sound compared to a copper C/D.

Love all the reviews! Thanks.
I got two heads, one copper and one brass, along with two D bodies also one copper and one brass. I was also curious to hear the difference. Now I'll be able to mix and match and see how each sounds. It will obviously be quite a while before I can post a review though.