Sound difference between Overton and Copeland Low Ds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skywatcher »

Hi!
I have a beloved Overton low D and have never had the privilage of tooting a Copeland. What is the difference in the sounds of the two and volume?
Thanks!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I own one of each. The Overton was my first low D. I love them both. I'll *try* to answer but, although I don't think I'd ever get the sounds confused, I find it really hard to put the difference into words. Well, here goes, if only as an attempt to coax other people into trying to do better.

Both whistles are wonderfully rich in overtones. The Copeland is somewhat easier to play although both have breath requirements I'd describe as substantial. You don't have to lean into the Copeland nearly is much as the Overton. Perhaps in consequence, the Copeland is quieter but, if you're playing alone, it won't *seem* quieter. That's because it has a huge tone. I find it easier to get around at speed.

The best description of the sound (and experience) of playing the Overton low D is that it is the cosmic drainpipe. Those overtones just reverberate for ever. Well, you play one, you know what I mean. The Copeland has a big, full, rich sound. You can get a wonderful raspiness, especially in the second octave. You can also make a Copeland 'bark'.

I also own a Bartlett which is completely different and have a Reyburn on the way. I can't imagine ever wanting to part with either my Overton or my Copeland—the only problem I face when low D time rolls around is which to use.
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

Thanks, Wombat!!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
eskin

Post by eskin »

In my experience, I find that my low D Copeland sounds almost flute like and is quite loud, while the low D Overtons I've tried were actually quite breathy and fairly quiet... So there must be some instrument-to-instrument variation. The Copeland will take everything you can throw at it, its a very powerful instrument.

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-25 10:29, eskin wrote:
In my experience, I find that my low D Copeland sounds almost flute like and is quite loud, while the low D Overtons I've tried were actually quite breathy and fairly quiet... So there must be some instrument-to-instrument variation. The Copeland will take everything you can throw at it, its a very powerful instrument.

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com
That's interesting Michael. I can't argue with 'flutelike' for my Copeland. My Overton: breathy—yes, quiet—no. BTW, mine's Bernard-made rather than Colin-made but fairly recent, maybe three years old. When I got my Copeland I thought it was loud but both Loren and Avanutria (from memory) suggested that I was probably mistaking size of tone for volume. It gets the job done in public though, no question.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've had both and the overton
is louder--by the way, Michael
and Jim can make a louder
low D, Jim says--it will take
more air. Of the two whistles,
I much prefer the Copeland,
personally.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

One consideration regarding the volume is the raised windway. When I first got the Copeland low-D, I was quite disappointed with the sound. Then, I played it in the bathroom and was absolutely blown away. The wall around the windway prevents a lot of the sound from getting directly back to the player, so the Copeland is actually quite a bit louder than the player perceives.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm doing this partially from memory, as I sold my Overton Low D quite a while ago, when I got my Copeland. I just pulled out the Copeland, O'Riordan and O'Briain (only have it about 3 weeks)Low D whistles to briefly compare. BTW, I think Loren, AV et. al. are right about the fullness of tone of the Copeland being somewhat mistaken for volume - that "stregnth" of tone is really important to me in a whistle.

Of the three, I'm most at home right now on the Copeland and really still have not heard a Low D that's better. The new O'Briain is very close in tone to the Copeland, esp. in the lower octave, which surprised me. The O'Riordan is very comfortable to play (probably due to the smaller fingerholes), but is rather ordinary in tone IMHO. What works so well in the O'Riordan Low G doesn't seem to translate well to the Low D, the crystal clarity and sweetness of tone.

The Overton I had was a Goldie (non-tuneable), but purchased from an on-line shop and not made for me by Colin. I remember it as quieter in both octaves than either the Copeland or O'Briain, but "edgier" in tone.

Regards,

Philo