Do you hear the difference between a $50 and a $5000 flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Do you hear the difference between a $50 and a $5000 flute?

Yes
53%
No
2%
Sometimes (please specify)
33%
Don't know
12%

Total votes: 49

crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Do you hear the difference between a $50 and a $5000 flute?

Post by crookedtune »

MTGuru wrote:
James_Alto wrote:My view, is that a flute (and real musical instruments) should be a part of every day consciousness, so much so, that people don't rely on just the radio or cranked out synthetic music.
Hear, hear. For most people now, that music is something ordinary people do, not just something to be consumed, is less and less obvious.
Pshaw! Ya weren't singing that song when ya still looked good in spandex!

But sorry, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of, 'Yes, there are good flutes out there that cost big money for a good reason'. The point of diminishing return will vary based on the player, maker and chemistry of their union.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

I can't hear either one of 'em....

Send them to me and I'll let ya know. :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:Pshaw! Ya weren't singing that song when ya still looked good in spandex!
Good grief, CT. With my skeletal physique, you're going to give people nightmares.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Casey Burns wrote:I think if this was tested in strict scientific terms, one might hear the difference.
i saw something somewhere where they did a test like this; the results came back that most people can't tell the difference, even between metal or wood. but my contention was that "most" people think i'm playing a clarinet. :)
Casey Burns wrote:But much of it depends upon the player and how the player interfaces with the flutes being tested. A great player can make almost any tube with holes in it sound great.
i like the Brian Finnigan example. Or, for further proof, check out the videos of Kevin Crawford playing a Forbes (retailing at $425--made of delrin!--whereas his Grinter cost him thousands):
http://forbesflutes.com/files/ScatteryIsland.mov

That being said, as a KC aficionado, he does sound different to me on the Forbes than the Grinter. On the Forbes he sounds great; on a Grinter he inspired me to pick up a tube with holes in it and try to make a noise come out of it. :)
Casey Burns wrote:Like quantum mechanics, much of it also depends upon the observer as well as the observed. Someone who is new to music will be easily impressed.
agreed; see comment above.
Casey Burns wrote:Correlating how a flute sounds to its dollar value is a very rough concept. There is also dollar inflation to consider. If the dollar collapses and ends up being like a Weimar currency, then the difference between $50 and $5000 may only be a few teaspoons of bread crumbs.
it's happened in other places/times too. not to get too far off the subject, if China decides to sell dollars we're all in trouble. :)

Cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

One problem with this poll is it mostly addresses the (I expect) outside listener, although I suppose that can be the player as well. But one aspect of flute-playing is the experience of the player. The question might instead be "Can you FEEL the difference between a $50 and a $5000 flute?"
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Adolph Herseth, the long-time Principal Trumpet of the Chicago Symphony, once addressed this. He said, "If you blindfolded me and blindfolded the audience and then gave me a Bundy and a Bach to play [note: student model vs. professional model], the audience would not notice the difference, but I would."
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

One thing for certain, I can feel the difference between $50 and $5000 in my wallet.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

By the time we get to a 5000 flute we're talking keys, hopefully, and of course that means there are notes
it's a lot easier to play, so there is an audible difference, odds are.

The real comparison is tween an inexpensive and an expensive keyless flute, between 50 and 1200-1600 hundred,
say. Supposing you haven't been ripped off, etc, sure you can hear the difference. That doesn't mean you
can't sound very good on an inexpensive flute if you know what you're doing, but, well, an Olwell.....
Some of the best flutes are genuinely wonderful instruments.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

tucson_whistler wrote: i like the Brian Finnigan example. Or, for further proof, check out the videos of Kevin Crawford playing a Forbes (retailing at $425--made of delrin!--whereas his Grinter cost him thousands):
http://forbesflutes.com/files/ScatteryIsland.mov

That being said, as a KC aficionado, he does sound different to me on the Forbes than the Grinter. On the Forbes he sounds great; on a Grinter he inspired me to pick up a tube with holes in it and try to make a noise come out of it. :)

Cheers,
eric
From what i have heard the Rob Forbes flute isn't exactly a crock 'o sh*te though, on the contrary it's supposed to be pretty darn good.
I have ordered one and PM:ed Kevin C. His reply: "That's great, i am sure you will be happy with it"
(I know i might be naive and Kevin might be diplomatic, but still :) )
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Denny

Post by Denny »

At $425 it is a great flute! It's indestructible and fuss free.

assuming that ya want a Pratten :wink:
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Denny wrote:At $425 it is a great flute! It's indestructible and fuss free.

assuming that ya want a Pratten :wink:
I'm too inexperienced player to really care. I have heard as many great sounding Pratten/clones as i have R&R clones. I have a unkeyed Sam Murray coming as well, and he, according to himself, have basically evolved into a design of his own.
My thoughts on the delrin flute (besides it's impressive sound and quality/bang for $-factor) is that it might be very handy for outdoor gigs/sessions or those rowdy pub sessions where 250 lbs drunks and pints usually end up all over the table :)

EDIT: I have played Marcus Hernon Pratten, Grinter keyless and an old Seery and i wouldn't say any of them were noticeably harder to play or sounded vastly better than the other.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Denny

Post by Denny »

oddly I seem to spend a bit of time outdoors... I like Delrin quit a lot.

Style of flute is a personal issue. :wink:
Dave Copley's is quite good also, but different.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The $50-$5000 split is a bit arbitrary - don't know many wooden (or silver) flutes made for $50, let alone what one would sound like; the real bottom should be around $300, since comparing a decent bamboo flute, or even a PVC flute, to a quality wooden flute is apples and oranges. And once you're at $5,000, as Jim says, you're into really top-flight 8 keyed flutes, or antiques, and so are we comparing good keyed flutes to good unkeyed? They really should sound roughly the same, except chromatically...

It also strikes me that we keep considering the difference in sound for the listener, which wasn't actually the question, only the assumed one. The real question on a forum like this should be whether - for us players - there is a notable difference in playing a cheap flute and playing a high quality one?

IMHO, there usually is. If there isn't, something's wrong.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Kevin Krell is on the right track. What makes (or should make) an instrument expensive are those details that make it easier to play. The response, intonation, weght, position of keys and tone holes, volume, etc. all allow the player to play the way he or she wants to play. None of this is apparent to the listener - they only know what they hear, not what they could be hearing. Unless an instrument is pure trash, it will sound superb in the hands of a competent player. However, that player will sound better and, more importantly, be capable of a better performance with a better instrument. It may be through the addition of a note only available with a key, the smearing of a note that might not work successfully on a lesser instrument, or the honk of a hard D. The listener cannot miss what was never played, but the player knows the limits of his/her instrument and plays accordingly. It can still sound great, but the better instrument will definitely sound better.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I enjoyed reading what everyone had to say.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦