Playing Blues/Jazz with the tinwhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Snowkill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Playing Blues/Jazz with the tinwhistle

Post by Snowkill »

Hi I am new the the tinwhistle would like to know if anyone knows how to play Blues or Jazz with the tinwhistle.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Playing Blues/Jazz with the tinwhistle

Post by bradhurley »

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80259&p=1005328

Billy Novick's jazz work on the whistle was great; his renditions of Irish tunes were terrible but he's a great jazz musician and if you can find either of those old albums of his you'll find plenty of inspiration. It can be done.
R Small

Post by R Small »

I've been working on some jazz and blues on whistle. Some of the jazz tunes I'm working on are: Take the A Train, All of of Me, Sweet Georgia Brown, St. Thomas, Scrapple From the Apple, Yardbird Suite, Move, and a few others. Some of the blues tunes are: Now's the Time, Au Privave, Billie's Bounce, Straight No Chaser. This stuff is within reach for whistle but to really pull it off I need a little higher level of chops than I have now. So, back to the woodshed.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play blues a lot on whistle and Irish flute. I played blues guitar for decades and it's easy enough to transfer.
I especially like basic twelve bar blues. I play with guitarists a fair amount. Lots of improvisation.
D instruments play blues in E (E, A, B7th sort of stuff) very well

Whistle and flute are very good blues instruments. ITM ornaments, slides, and so on equip one to be very
expressive in other genres and it's possible to wail on whistle/flute, slide into notes, bend them and do on.
The wooden flute is much less airy-fairy than the silver, and its reediness and controllability with open holes
make it a fine blues instrument. I figure blues flute/whistle is a bit like harmonica before anybody realized
that you could play blues on it. There is extraordinary potential.

Jazz is tougher for me. I play some but finally I do better in folk genres, and delta blues
sure qualifies.

I'm also playing blue grass, often using sweetheart 'fifes' in A and also in G, to the delight of
some and to the horror of purists. But these are wonderful bluegrass instruments, in truth.
I play the notes one would play on blue grass mandolin.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

And of course everyone who's been around C&F for a while knows about the Coltrane whistle sessions...right?

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r0403_004.html

:thumbsup:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Flexismart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Here's the Wikipedia entry - plenty to ponder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_whistle

including:
In jazz
Steve Buckley, a British jazz musician is known to have used the penny whistle as a serious instrument. His whistle playing can be heard on recordings with Loose Tubes, Django Bates and his album with Chris Batchelor Life As We Know It. Les Lieber is a celebrated American Jazz Tinwhistle player. Lieber has played with Paul Whiteman's Band and also with the Benny Goodman Sextet. Lieber made a record with Django Reinhardt in the AFN Studios in Paris in the post Second World War era and started an event called "Jazz at Noon" every Friday in a New York restaurant playing with a nucleus of advertising men, doctors, lawyers, and business executives who had been or could have been jazz musicians. Howard Johnson has also been known to play this instrument.

I don't think you'll find much regarding blues - I've never found the instrument suited to the style, except for playing a few 'blue notes' here and there. The Billy Novick recording called Pennywhistles from Heaven has quite a few interesting jazz licks including a great version of 'Scrapple from the Apple'.
Denny

Post by Denny »

there's also

New old Kwela
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
maki

Post by maki »

"Ubizmo" has a bunch or YouTube videos and he does Blues and Jazz on whistles and ocarinas.
He does a Harlem Nocturn on a ocarina that is really nice.
Check out his channel.
He is also a member here.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'd suggest getting a Bflat whistle (Generation Bflats are great), possibly an Eflat (preferably low Eflat), and also learning to half-hole. First thing I did when I got a Thin Weasel Bflat was put on some Yusef Lateef and jam with him.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
R Small

Post by R Small »

C whistle is handy for jazz. Many tunes are in F and Bb which can be played in the easier keys of G and C on a C whistle.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Once again, our modest but talented MTGuru keeps mum.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
kwela
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kwela »

There's a couple of really great kwela/jazz tracks at I'm Learning to Share!, by Willard Cele. They really swing and you can make comparisons with Stéphane Grappelli if you like - I won't tell :-) Unfortunately this style of kwela seems to have died with Willard :( The style seems to work very well with the whistle; there's a bit of a transcription on my kwela project blog.
The Kwela Project
Pennywhistle Jive from South Africa
http://www.kwela.co.uk/
Image http://www.kwela.co.uk/feed/
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Denny wrote:there's also

New old Kwela
And new Kwela:

http://www.zen98059.zen.co.uk/The%20Pos ... bsite.html

Great stuff-- I'd highly recommend downloading their albums
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
retired

Post by retired »

Hey Maki - just checked 'ubizmo' on youtube and found 'lord mayo' - WOW - never heard it before - there goes cleaning out the garage today - Regards.
mrblister

Post by mrblister »

There is also this newly started blog about playing Kwela with some transcriptions and streams of Kwela music

http://sheesh-kabeesh.blogspot.com/