Wilkes keyless flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Wilkes keyless flute

Post by Steampacket »

A nice looking flute, but I doubt it will sell with such a high starting bid, and on top of that the reserve price has to be met. :o
Aye the Rudall style has four sections. They are great instruments.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steampacket wrote:Aye the Rudall style has four sections.
Does that apply to keyless as well as to keyed flutes? I've been back to Chris' website, and it does say that the Rudall style has four sections, whereas the Pratten style has three, but still, there's something niggling me there about keyless ones and whether they too comply with this 'rule' ...
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Is that it?

The image links leads to his family photo album. I couldn't find any images of the wilkes flute on his site.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

There's something weird that's happening when I go to Chris' site this evening. I can't see the menu bar across the top. It's there, 'cos if you hover over the places where the menu ought to be you can see the links at the bottom left of the screen. It's as if the menu is written in white, the same colour as the background. Is that just me?
Denny

Post by Denny »

is you...try F5 might'a had a style sheet problem
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Denny

Post by Denny »

James_Alto wrote:http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Is that it?

The image links leads to his family photo album. I couldn't find any images of the wilkes flute on his site.
http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Rudall%20types.html

maybe Rob's working on the site today...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Denny wrote:is you...try F5 might'a had a style sheet problem
I tried F5 before, and just have again now. Also tried the usual refresh button. The menu items appear briefly and then disappear. Goodness only knows what's happening.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

End caps can be hypnotically beautiful, even on less elaborately ornamented flutes.
Art form, this is.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Denny wrote:
James_Alto wrote:http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Is that it?

http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Rudall%20types.html

maybe Rob's working on the site today...

I can the see the page of flute images now. It's changed from the smiling sunny pictures of happy people by the beach!

What beautiful looking flutes. They all look incredibly stunning.

My only question is why such beautiful flutes ... with all of the chrome/silver rimmed finger holes and detail in the exquisite keywork...
why all of this, only to bind it in cotton thread for a tenon for the silver head flute?

Surely a proper metal tenon would make sense, to make such gorgeous flutes?
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

benhall.1 wrote:
Steampacket wrote:Aye the Rudall style has four sections.
Does that apply to keyless as well as to keyed flutes? I've been back to Chris' website, and it does say that the Rudall style has four sections, whereas the Pratten style has three, but still, there's something niggling me there about keyless ones and whether they too comply with this 'rule' ...
Dunno about Mr Wilkes, but other makers that i know of "R&R's" and "Prattens" are equal body-wise, keys or no keys.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The split middle on rudall-style flutes is traditional and it has the advantage of enabling the fluter
to put the rt and left hand holes in different positions. While it's possible there are some exceptions,
this is pretty well distinctive of rudalls, keyless and keyed. So bryan byrne, sam murray and other rudall
makers follow the traditional configuration, regardless. As CW says he does it too, and as he is
one of the makers who is often said to be more faithful than most to old rudalls, I think we can
take it that he splits the middle, whether or not the rudall is keyed.

I've in my life seen one pratten-style flute that was split in the middle, at the request of the individual
who had bought it, so that he could put the rt and left hand holes in different positions.
However I've never seen an Olwell Rudall and wonder whether it is so arranged?
Anybody know?
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Does that apply to keyless as well as to keyed flutes? I've been back to Chris' website, and it does say that the Rudall style has four sections, whereas the Pratten style has three, but still, there's something niggling me there about keyless ones and whether they too comply with this 'rule' ..." Benhall.

Yes, I have one here, a keyless Rudall style, D Wilkes with the wide rings, metal endcap, flute case, just the one on e-bay. It has four sections, cost 1400 USD or 14000 Swedish crowns, can't remember which.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Steampacket wrote:"Does that apply to keyless as well as to keyed flutes? I've been back to Chris' website, and it does say that the Rudall style has four sections, whereas the Pratten style has three, but still, there's something niggling me there about keyless ones and whether they too comply with this 'rule' ..." Benhall.

Yes, I have one here, a keyless Rudall style, D Wilkes with the wide rings, metal endcap, flute case, just the one on e-bay. It has four sections, cost 1400 USD or 14000 Swedish crowns, can't remember which.
Well, that clears that up then. :)
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Yes, I have one here, a keyless Rudall style, D Wilkes with the wide rings, metal endcap, flute case, just [like] the one on e-bay. It has four sections, cost 1400 USD or 14000 Swedish crowns, can't remember which.
Yes, I sold this flute, many years ago, and of course wish I hadn't. It is a beautiful flute. The silver work is gorgeous and it plays every bit as nice as it looks. And by the way, the price was a good deal more than mentioned, but less than the eBay flute. Given that Chris isn't making many of these fancy flutes, and that it is so striking visually, the price isn't insane.
-------
.Surely a proper metal tenon would make sense, to make such gorgeous flutes?
What is that bit about metal tenons? I prefer to have tenons wrapped with cotton thread. A tight fitting cork wrap, on a tenon that is then greased and forced into a socket, can be just as damaging to a tenon as thread... if that is the issue.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

James_Alto wrote:Surely a proper metal tenon would make sense, to make such gorgeous flutes?
James, are you actually talking about tenon ferrules, such as one might see on Hammy Hamilton's flutes?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician