General opinion on Low-Tech (PVC) homemade whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tarvos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

General opinion on Low-Tech (PVC) homemade whistle

Post by Tarvos »

What's up guys!

I was looking in the internet for Whistles, since I want to have more. Here where I live (Brasilian Northeast region) it's not so easy to find a cheap whistle (the one i have cost me something about R$80,00 reais /$50,00 dollar/ £30,00 euros - Generation D + fare).
Really noobie move, I admit it. So I was looking in the internet the prices from US or Europe, but then i found this site:

http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/

It teaches to make PVC Whistle.
Then I tought:
"It's cheap, mighty be 'fun' and according to the author of the site:
Low technology, but high quality sound!
"

So I'm here to know your opinion on them.
Did someone already done those? How did it work out? Does it worth the time?
Or it's better to buy on Ebay?
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: General opinion on Low-Tech (PVC) homemade whistle

Post by Corgicrazed »

I have heard of people doing this before, but I have never heard one so I wouldn't know about the sound quality... Looks very interesting. I think I might try it. "Might be fun." :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I've made a few whistles, but I haven't been happy with the sound quality, the tuning, or the playability.

If you search for Jerry Freeman on ebay, you will find he has a wide range of whistles that he offers to ship worldwide for the same price.

Unlike my efforts, Jerry's whistles have great sound quality, great tuning, and excellent playability.

So if you like making things, then by all means, go ahead and try to make some. Maybe you will have great success. On the other hand, if you just want a good musical instrument with minimal effort, check into Mr. Freeman's offerings.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Tarvos wrote:then i found this site:

http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/
Guido Gonzato (Guidus) is a member of this board, and his whistles (and his whistle plans) are well-respected by many people here.

You can hear sound samples of a few of his whistles if you click "GG Clips" in my signature line.

Also, search the forums for "Guido", and you will find many, many posts about his whistles.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Guido's plans make good whistles provided you can find tubing the same size as he uses, else the hole-spacing will be incorrect. The tone of the instrument is mostly due to the design of the whistle-head. Once you've got a set of finger-holes that play in tune, it is quite easy to make interchangeable heads without having to re-drill a whole whistle ... you can even make it into a flute :twisted:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Apparently dentists are well-positioned to make their low low-tech PVC whistles.

A dentist' drill is perfect for hole bore, ensuring accurate pitch :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I have made whistles according to Snr Gonzato's measurements for more than ten years now.

The high whistles are a doddle (a dawdle, i.e. easy and fun) and the playability is fine. Considering the fact you can adjust the fipple and windway cover, you can eliminate the squeaks you are liable to encounter with a raw, untweaked Generation.

I've also made low whistles. Playability is a factor here, as the hole positioning makes them more difficult to finger. I have square, spatulate hands with short fingers. For a while I could not finger a low D at all, and contented myself playing a low F, which is shorter. A low G is shorter still, but somehow I feel it's not low enough. There is no difficulty in fingering a low G.
Playing the low F exercises your fingers and makes the low D more accessible. I've learned that the ridges I've put on the back of my preferred low D needed extended, as I place my thumbs differently now. It's also necessary to play at a slight angle, so my right hand doesn't have so far to extend. I can't play a fast hornpipe on my low D, but I can play jigs and reels.

My local hardware supermarkets don't carry PVC pipe - or if they do, I haven't noticed. I prefer the polypropylene barrier pipe, which is thicker, and gives me more leeway in carving the windway blade. Unfortunately this material does not abrade, so sanding or emery-papering is not a possibility. The only way of working is cutting.

If you have any inclination to try this, I say go ahead. It's not difficult, the pipe is cheap, and feeling of accomplishment in playing a whistle you made yourself is a wonderful feeling.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tarvos

Post by Tarvos »

Innocent Bystander wrote:If you have any inclination to try this, I say go ahead. It's not difficult, the pipe is cheap, and feeling of accomplishment in playing a whistle you made yourself is a wonderful feeling.
Thanks, that was really motivating :D
MTGuru wrote:
You can hear sound samples of a few of his whistles if you click "GG Clips" in my signature line.
Did you done a Guido's Whistle MTGuru?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tarvos wrote:Did you done a Guido's Whistle MTGuru?
You mean did I make the whistles myself? No, I'm not so handy. :-) Those whistles were made by Guido.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Tarvos wrote: So I'm here to know your opinion on them.
Did someone already done those? How did it work out? Does it worth the time?
Or it's better to buy on Ebay?
I'm not that good at making whistles so I ordered two from Guido out of curiosity. I thought if I saw his then I could better understand the design in order to make my own. When I received them then I changed my mind. His are so professional looking that I don't think I can even come close. But as I said, I'm not good at making things.

I have the High D & Alto G. The High D is great and I have no problems playing it. The Alto G sounds wonderful, it sounds much like a flute, very different than the Generation sound I'm more used to. I am getting used to the wider finger spread required. I can play slow songs on it but I cannot play anything fast.

Overall I'm very happy with them. The only "challenge" is playing a C Natural because they are so light they want to float up in the air. You can't really stabilize it with the lips/mouth. I just keep the low D finger on it and that helps.

I suggest you try making your own but it would help if you had one of his to see in person. They're cheap so I think it's worth it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

They can be really excellent. Buying them from Guido himself, ready-made, is inexpensive, and you don't have to have exactly the same tube as he uses - it is easy enough to adapt his specifications either empirically (trial and error - and you do a bit of that with the first few attempts anyway!) or using one of the online calculators (e.g. http://www.kingsmills.us/twcalc/twcalc.htm & http://twjcalc.sourceforge.net/) - and asking here for guidance.

Whether you buy from Guido or make your own, you can expect to end up with an instrument that plays far better than many of the commercially available ones, even many of the "high end" expensive ones. Personally I don't like the all-aluminium ones anyway - I dislike the metal beak in my mouth, regardless of how they play. I find the plastic much nicer - and if you can get black PVC like I use for my piccolos, it is aesthetically nicer to look at and to handle than metal, for my taste at any rate.

Here's a review I wrote of one of Guido's low D whistles a while back - there are links to sound clips etc. - take those with a pinch of salt, however, as I believe Guido has modified the design since then, I am sure for the better.

My advice also would be to buy one of Guido's, then have a go yourself.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

I tried making one of Guido's whistles, and I was only about halfway through before I realized I was NOT enjoying myself! I like to play whistles, not make them!
So, a better question might be, do you like tinkering in the workshop? If not, buy!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

Tarvos wrote:the one i have cost me something about R$80,00 reais /$50,00 dollar/ £30,00 euros - Generation D + fare
I wish I had $50,000 to spend on one whistle! :shock:
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

about R$80,00 reais /$50,00 dollar/ £30,00 euros
I wish I had $50,000 to spend on one whistle!
... some cultures use a comma as a decimal separator ... fifty dollars US is still quite a lot of money for a Generation :boggle:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I'm a big fan of Guido's whistle designs. So far, I've made four high-D, and two Bb. None is the ultimate whistle, but all playable, and a couple of them are nicer to play than typical commercial whistles. I've used CPVC and cross-linked polyethylene (PEX). The PEX is lighter than the CPVC, better for lower whistles, but perhaps too light for high whistles. PEX is softer; easier to carve or drill but doesn't sand well at all. It takes a day or two to make a whistle; not much more time than you'd probably spend finding and importing a good whistle to Brazil.

The great thing about making your own is you can adjust the length of the window by moving the fipple closer or farther from the lip. A short window makes the second octave sweeter and easier to reach, but makes it harder to keep the low D and E from jumping into the second octave. There will be a sweet spot that depends on your breath power, breath control, and your own inclination.

For tuning, I suggest the Syaku8 (Shakuhachi) Auto Tuner by Tatsuaki Koroda ("Sound color analyzer and Tuner for shakuhachi" at http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html).

I got sidetracked from whistle number 7 when the Bb whistles didn't tune the way I expected--the holes weren't nearly as large as I thought they'd have to be. So I've been researching, measuring, modeling, and calculating, trying to understand what happens in that tiny little window.