Clarke Sweetone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Corgicrazed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Clarke Sweetone

Post by Corgicrazed »

I have been playing tin whistle for about a year, and own a Waltons Irish and a Clarke original.
I've been thinking about getting a Clarke Sweetone..... Does anyone own one? and if so would you recommend it? Please help! :-? :-?
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Tommy

Re: Clarke Sweetone

Post by Tommy »

Corgicrazed wrote: I've been thinking about getting a Clarke Sweetone..... Does anyone own one? and if so would you recommend it? Please help! :-? :-?
I have two Clarke Sweetone whistles. They are a D and a C and I enjoy playing them. Yes I would recommend :thumbsup: you buying one, or two...........
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I have 1 original and 2 sweetones. Go for it. What've you got to lose? Actually, I'd recommend you get a Jerry Freeman tweaked Sweetone. Costs a little bit more, but you'll be sure to get an excellent whistle for the price. The whistles you buy that are mass produced vary in quality--most are OK, a few are bad, a few are excellent.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

I have a Sweetone in "C" that's been re-drilled to play as a "D" with a low-C, an Original in "D" and a Meg in "D" ... they're all different ... and all very different to any of my parallel-bore whistles (Generation, Walton's, Feadog etc.). For the price I'd say you can't go wrong, as to personal choice ... I prefer the look of a Sweetone in "natural metal" rather than one of the painted instruments :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

well, to be the voice of the other side...
my Sweetone (Clarke Celtic actually, just painted green) is my least favorite whistle. It's very raspy/breathy in a bad way. I tried some blue tack in the cavity to help it, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
For what, $10-15 more you can get a Freeman Mellow Dog (my favorite high D!), blackbird, or something similar.
But, the fun of whistling is trying them all and seeing what you like.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Corgicrazed

Post by Corgicrazed »

Another question about the Clarke Sweetone..... Does it come with any accessories? I mean does it come with a case or fingering chart? I'd like to keep it in as good condition as possible... :-? :-?
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

dspmusik wrote:well, to be the voice of the other side...
my Sweetone (Clarke Celtic actually, just painted green) is my least favorite whistle. It's very raspy/breathy in a bad way. I tried some blue tack in the cavity to help it, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
For what, $10-15 more you can get a Freeman Mellow Dog (my favorite high D!), blackbird, or something similar.
But, the fun of whistling is trying them all and seeing what you like.
I was just going to post pretty much this very thing about Jerry's other whistles. One of his hand picked tweaked Generations are quite good.

I have a few Sweetones. I find them fairly out of tune. Nasty. I should just toss them into the rubbish bin.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

case or fingering chart
... no case, but there's a "standard" Clarke fingering chart showing the chromatic fingering over 2 1/2 octaves (D-d-d'-g' for the D whistle) with four simple tunes on the rear of the page. I don't think Clarke show a case anywhere on their web-site. To keep the whistle looking it's best, bear in mind that the coloured whistles are painted, therefore more likely to scratch than the plain-metal version ... alternatively, a painted whistle shouldn't tarnish, whereas a plain-metal Sweetone may show some slight darkening around the holes after a while.
FWIW I prefer my re-drilled Sweetone to the Waltons Mellow D I bought second-hand, the sound is very different. I've no experience with Jerry Freeman's tweaked whistles.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ketida »

Years ago, I already owned several low-priced whistles and had heard of Sweetone's notoriety of being out of tune with itself. Knowing that, I still succumbed next time I was in a music store. I figured it was akin to buying a lottery ticket (which I never do, so right there was another excuse to indulge :wink: ). So I plunked down me money (less than $10 as I recall) and low and behold I picked a winner! It remained my favorite whistle, even though I had others that I'd paid more for...until I finally decided to go big bucks and get a Burke. I still play the Sweetone occasionally, and of course it's nowhere near the quality of my Burke, but I'm still amazed at how good it is and how lucky I was. Maybe I should play the lotto...
cloydw

Post by cloydw »

I have a Jerry Freeman Tweaked Sweetone and a regular Sweetone. I have filled the cavity under the windway on the regular one and it helped it. . . got ride of some of the breathy sound. Really, I think they both play nice, though the tweaked one takes a lot less wind. I think they play very well, though I'm not real fond of the way they sound. Mine are in in tune, I just don't like the tone. However, they are well worth the price.
Cloyd S. W.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Regular Clarke Sweetones are good enough for the money.
I've got three, two standard Ds and one tweaked by Freeman.
At first, I really enjoyed them.
After a few months of playing it seems I now prefer straight bores.
Still, you don't know what you like until you try something.
God bless inexpensive whistles.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ketida »

maki wrote:Regular Clarke Sweetones are good enough for the money.
I've got three, two standard Ds and one tweaked by Freeman.
At first, I really enjoyed them.
After a few months of playing it seems I now prefer straight bores.
Still, you don't know what you like until you try something.
God bless inexpensive whistles.

O Yea, O Yea. Bowing down to the makers of inexpensive whistles.
Coracleman

Post by Coracleman »

I like them and I like them a lot. I like the look, the feel and the sound which I prefer to traditional clarke mostly. I have different colours for different keys which makes finding them in my whistle pot much easier. I've never found them breathy, and maybe I'm not musical enough, neither have I found them out of tune.
Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

I can't play them (or the Clarke Original either) that seam on the underside annoys me!!
Fast & Bulbous
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

that seam on the underside annoys me
... a little bead of beeswax smoothed onto the seam just where the thumb rests both "hides" the seam and gives a modicum of extra grip. If you don't like it, it'll polish right off ... neat stuff :)