New Kerry Optima Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JayDoc

New Kerry Optima Low D

Post by JayDoc »

I know there was an earlier thread speculating about Phil Hardy's new plastic head/aluminum body low D, which his site says will be called the Optima. I had the pleasure of tooting on one that Phil said is just one tweak away from the final first production version, at the Kan concert in Clerkenwell last week (Brian Finnegan was awesome, by the way--keep your eyes out for Kan or a Kan CD, esp. if you liked Flook--there's a video on Phil's site of a tune from that show, though it's a slow tune, and, to me, not the best of the night). I only played it briefly, but thought I'd share first impressions. It was a great whistle, not really comparable to the prior plastic-headed Kerry low D's (I have both models). To me, it was very much like a Kerry Pro head made of plastic (I assume it's some form of plastic). It required incredibly little wind for a low D, great backpressure, just enough breathiness to not sound shrill (I have to read that thread about chiff and breathiness, so I can use these terms correctly, but that's what I'd call it). It very easily played up into the second and even third octave, yet you could push it very nicely in the low end without it "flipping" up into the next octave. Terrific balance between the volume at the low end and high end--my wife and neighbors are going to be quite pleased with me. I think I have to agree with Phil's statement that this will revolutionize low whistle, in a way. Very easy to play, both in terms of wind and finger hole spacing, great sound--and what sounds to be a pretty modest price. I don't think it's as loud as my other low D's (e.g Kerry's, Goldie's, MK), but I think Phil designed it more for people like me, who often play alone and not in loud clubs. I'm almost reluctant to give it such a rave, as I hope to get one as soon as they're available!
ducks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: New Kerry Optima Low D

Post by ducks »

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.
sophie
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

By any chance, did Phil happen to mention what keys will be initially available?
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

As far as I know, only the low D for now. I don't think he mentioned other keys, but one would hope they'll follow. He did say that he'll be making the mouthpieces in different colors soon (they'll originally be black).
Best,
Jaydoc
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

JayDoc wrote:As far as I know, only the low D for now. I don't think he mentioned other keys, but one would hope they'll follow. He did say that he'll be making the mouthpieces in different colors soon (they'll originally be black).
I went back and looked at the email Phil sent out a while back regarding the Optima. It says...
"The Kerry Optima will be available in all keys this year starting with tenor D Eb & E."

I'd forgotten he'd already answered what I'd asked. Just as well for me as my central air conditioning unit may be broken beyond repair and, if that's the case, I'm looking at a pretty sizable bill in the next couple of weeks. :cry:
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

I am curious about the price. I got email about almost out of the low d that I got and was on sale. :)
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

JayDoc wrote:.......at the Kan concert in Clerkenwell last week (Brian Finnegan was awesome, by the way--keep your eyes out for Kan or a Kan CD, esp. if you liked Flook--there's a video on Phil's site of a tune from that show, though it's a slow tune, and, to me, not the best of the night).
There's 3 tracks by KAN available to listen to on Soundcloud HERE
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

As soon as you buy it he will say he has redesigned it to improve it. Then the value of the one you bought will drop.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

Ron, " Negativity " should be your middle name.
Phil has put so much into the whistle world over many years and all you can do is knock him.
From what I have seen, the new Kerry Optima is a remarkable achievement and I for one will get one when they are available and I think I will not be the only one.

Wizzy.
Dog Brain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Dog Brain »

Has there been any news on when the Optima will be available?
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Dog Brain wrote:Has there been any news on when the Optima will be available?
I got email from site/Phil that it would be soon. My guess near the end of June. I guess he will send email when available. He did not say how much it would be.
Learning how to learn....my music teacher