Simple Question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
skyspirit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Simple Question

Post by skyspirit »

If I play the flute or whistle for that matter with my right hand on top for the whistle and closer to my mouth on a flute, is this playing lefthand or right handed?

I thought it was playing left handed. But, I am not sure.

:boggle:
:lol:
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Simple Question

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I guess it depends on which side the flute stick out, if it's to the left, you're left handed, if it's to the right you're just bass ackwards :D
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:I guess it depends on which side the flute stick out, if it's to the left, you're left handed, if it's to the right you're just bass ackwards :D
That is too funny. So, I guess that you play left handed. I play Native American flutes like I play whistles with the right hand on the top and was told that I play left handed.

In naf flutes and whistles, I guess it doesn't matter. In flutes, if the stick is made to point to your left, do you need to ask the maker to make a left handed flute? Even if the holes are inline? Of course, if offset would ask for left offset.

I made an irish flute with Doug's instructions and offset the emb and the holes (like anasazi flutes left hand). It works for me and I am happy.

If I wanted to buy an irish flute, what would I ask for?

:lol: :tomato:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Your strongest hand should be at the bottom
if you want to be in line with other woodwinds
like clarinet, sax, or Boehm flute.

So, if your left hand is at the bottom you're playing
"left handed". Though it's kind of arbitrary, just
based on a decision someone made in the past
regarding keys.
skyspirit wrote:In flutes, if the stick is made to point to your left, do you need to ask the maker to make a left handed flute? Even if the holes are inline? Of course, if offset would ask for left offset.
If I wanted to buy an irish flute, what would I ask for?
Well, the trick with flutes is that you want to blow
at the sharpest edge of the sound hole, and if you
play left handed with a right handed flute, you're
blowing at the wrong edge. It's more about the
blow hole than the fingers, in this case. So you
want to ask for a left handed flute if you point the
end of the flute to the left.
left or you'll not get a good
Last edited by fearfaoin on Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Isn't it a good idea to tell the maker you're left handed considering embouchure hole undercutting?
I don't know for a fact that/if it matters, but anyway..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

There are really two issues with left- versus right-handed flutes. The first is that the embouchure cut is designed for one or the other (I'd bet about 98% are designed for "righties"). The other is that any keyed flute would be set up differently. Just a suggestion, but, assuming you're actually right-handed and just happen to play "goofy-footed), have you thought about switching your hand position? It would be WAY beneficial in the long run - your selection of used flutes would go up immeasurably and you might even be more comfortable. I play a bunch of different instruments and you'd be surprised how easy it is to learn a new method.

I'm pretty sure that you need to place a special order to get a left-handed embouchure from any of the major makers. I know, for instance, that Dave Copley can make you a lefty flute at no additional charge, but that means you'd have to order and wait. Probably the same for any of the other makers.

If you are actually left-handed, disregard the above ramble and just buy a lefty!

Good luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Which hand is on top or bottom is rather arbitrary from an ergonomic point of view, as has been said, when playing a whistle, notch flute, shakuhachi, or NA flute. However, it isn't arbitrary when it comes to holding a transverse flute, either right or left handed. Just try holding one of the larger Irish flutes with the hands in the opposite position, right-handed standard hold with the left hand at the end of the flute, for example. That's a sure way to develop shoulder problems.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Which hand is on top or bottom is rather arbitrary from an ergonomic point of view, as has been said, when playing a whistle, notch flute, shakuhachi, or NA flute. However, it isn't arbitrary when it comes to holding a transverse flute, either right or left handed. Just try holding one of the larger Irish flutes with the hands in the opposite position, right-handed standard hold with the left hand at the end of the flute, for example. That's a sure way to develop shoulder problems.

Thanks Doug for all your help. I also used this link. I just did the opposite of the offsets for a left handed flute. I changed the hole offsets to be more like what you see in anasazi flutes. They are quite long (3/4 bore and 25 to 26 inches depending on key). Also, I followed your advise concerning marking the emb to id the proper side to undercut.

http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/designs.html

In the end, it is comfortable and plays nicely.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

fearfaoin wrote:Your strongest hand should be at the bottom
if you want to be in line with other woodwinds
like clarinet, sax, or Boehm flute.
The same reasoning doesn't apply, evidently, to the stringed instruments. For the guitar the standard way of holding the guitar is with the guitar neck extending out to the left from the body of the person holding the instrument. This position assigns the left hand with the task of pressing the strings to the fingerboard, which takes a lot more strength than merely plucking the string with a pick or fingers. Likewise, the standard holding position for the violin is the same as for the guitar, completely opposite from the holding position for the transverse flute. The bowing is obviously thought to be more difficult, thus it is assigned to the dominant hand.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya don't suppose it goes back to which side of the brain do ya?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Which hand is on top or bottom is rather arbitrary from an ergonomic point of view, as has been said, when playing a whistle, notch flute, shakuhachi, or NA flute. However, it isn't arbitrary when it comes to holding a transverse flute, either right or left handed. Just try holding one of the larger Irish flutes with the hands in the opposite position, right-handed standard hold with the left hand at the end of the flute, for example. That's a sure way to develop shoulder problems.
I'm not sure what makes you arrive at this conclusion that one side is necessarily more problematic than the other, when we're constructed bilaterally anyway. I think you might have had a leg to stand on if you said that a person habituated to playing "righty" might encounter problems upon making a long-term switch. But not necessarily, I believe, and certainly not necessarily permanently. Things like prior physical training in other disciplines, or just a simple awareness of one's body, very much enter into the picture.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Nanohedron wrote:
I'm not sure what makes you arrive at this conclusion that one side is necessarily more problematic than the other, when we're constructed bilaterally anyway. I think you might have had a leg to stand on if you said that a person habituated to playing "righty" might encounter problems upon making a long-term switch. But not necessarily, I believe, and certainly not necessarily permanently. Things like prior physical training in other disciplines, or just a simple awareness of one's body, very much enter into the picture.
I see that I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't try to say that left-hand or right-hand holding of the flute is to be preferred for any reason. Nor did I intend to imply that changing from one to the other would be difficult or not advised. I do think that it is rather obvious that for ergonomic reasons, if you are going to play the flute in the standard position with the flute extending out to the right of the body, then the right hand needs to cover the holes at the end of the flute, not the left, unless, of course, you have an unusual anatomy with a very long left arm. For anyone choosing to hold the flute left-handed the left hand needs to cover the holes at the end of the flute.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I do think that it is rather obvious that for ergonomic reasons, if you are going to play the flute in the standard position with the flute extending out to the right of the body, then the right hand needs to cover the holes at the end of the flute, not the left, unless, of course, you have an unusual anatomy with a very long left arm. For anyone choosing to hold the flute left-handed the left hand needs to cover the holes at the end of the flute.
Right indeed. One notes examples when an artist hasn't worked from an experienced model, or has just worked from imagination but doesn't have the experience of playing a flute himself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

For me, it is the most comfortable playing left handed. Flute to the left. Left hand at the bottom. Right on top. Offsetting the holes as I did just helps me with the stretch even with piper's grip. Playing right handed is just a disaster for me. Trust me I tried and tried and tried. I would probably not try to play a flute if I had to play right handed.

I know that it will be difficult to get flutes made that way. That is why I probably made my own to start with. I can afford to wait on the left handed flute (by the way Doug will make a left handed flute at no extra charge. I think that Casey Burns also makes left handed folk flutes).

It is what it is. :D

I just got an email back from Casey Burns. He does offer left handed folk flutes. That is good to know. :D
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I accidently learned to play left-handed. As long as you don't branch out into other instruments, this won't matter. I was given a silver flute which could only be played right-handed and that took a whole lot of extra time and was a bit painful on the muscles to master. I can now play the simple flute left or right-handed, although with different techniques (it's fun to switch mid song and impress folks) but I could never master playing the whistle right-handed to the same degree of ease.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦