Care and feeding question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Akitamom
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Care and feeding question

Post by Akitamom »

OK sorry for being a huge newbie but I haven't seen anything on how to clean a whistle. Are you supposed to wipe them out after using at all? During practice one day I was having trouble with some notes and noticed there was spit in it. I flung it to clear it and went on. But that got me thinking about it. Mine is metal but I notice some are wood so there must be a way to properly take care of them. I have a hard time imagining I am the only one with spit in my whistle. (Aaaaggghhhh to many jokes!!!!)

So what gives?
Marie in Maine

"Real training is not accomplished with brute force, but through understanding of the animal." Nickolai Pavlenkov ~ Russian Tiger Trainer

My avatar reads "We strive to be worthy of their devotion." It is a drawing of one of my tattoos.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Care and feeding question

Post by mutepointe »

Flinging, though effective, is best done in private or at least not towards folks.

Also, let's just be clear here, that's not so much spit as it is "CONDENSATION". Let's dispel that rumor yet one more time.

I don't have fancy, hard to take care of whistles, i just rinse my whistles every so often. I just have plastic and metal whistles.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

I have all wood whistles except for a Goldie, which is metal. I seldom if ever swab them out; if they have been well played in, this does them no harm.

Once they are dry, a bit of almond oil every so often is not a bad thing, and can improve tone in instruments made of more absorbent woods - since most wood whistles are made of blackwood (grenadilla), which is very resinous, this is hardly necessary.

You can even rinse wooden whistles out with warm water if you feel the need. Use common sense and don't leave them immersed for more than a minute or two. Oiling might be a good idea once they've dried off.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

You could make a swab using a thin wood dowel and a piece of cotton rag tied to it.
Or you can pull out a gun cleaning kit an use a patch loop on the rod with a flannel patch.
Mostly I just put them away up right so they drain (metal and plastic whistles).
R Small

Post by R Small »

I swab my whistles out every time I play. I know from playing clarinet and sax for fifty years how crud can build up over time. And once it's dried on it's hard to remove. Also I wash my whistles with soap and water about every three or four months or so for a thorough cleaning. Possibly I'm just getting anal retentive in my old age.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Today I was playing a Feadog and it gave me a few bad notes. I took the swab I always have with me in the car and cleaned it out. No more bad notes.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I use a recorder/flute swab stick with a piece of microfiber on the end to clean out my wood whistles every time I play them. I oil them (using the same swab stick but with a separate piece of microfiber) three or four times/year inside and out with almond oil (being very careful around the blade edge, which I don't oil), let it sit for a couple of hours, then wipe all of it off that will come off. I use a pipe cleaner with very diluted (about 10 drops to a quart of water )dish washing soap and warm water to clean the windway.

Metal whistles I wash thoroughly every couple of weeks inside and out with the same diluted dish soap mixture using the above swab/microfiber and a small pipe cleaner for the windway. You'll want to dry the brass whistles very well inside and out so they don't react to cleaning agents or impurities in the cleaning water. Warning. :shock: If you want your brass whistles to have that nice patina, (I'm ambivalent about this) just rinse the outside and don't scrub it or you will remove some of this.

The soap mixture has the added benefit, for those who have the problem, of reducing clogging.

If you want a polished whistle, aluminum, nickel, silver, or brass, (can of worms alert :boggle: ) I use Nevr Dull, then wash them thoroughly as above since it contains chemicals. I also use Renaissance Wax on the brass whistles, or whistle parts, that I want to remain shiny. Some, I let the patina develop. It is a grand experiment for me whether to polish or not to polish, I argue with myself about it all the time. :o

Well, that's enough emoticons for one message I guess. :thumbsup: Oops, maybe not.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
killthemessenger

ecohawk wrote:being very careful around the blade edge, which I don't oil
The labium needs oiling as much if not more than anywhere else, because that's where the stream of moist air impacts the end grain of the wood in a very thin section. Most recorder care manuals (not that I have a huge collection) will recommend oiling it.
The torture never stops.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

These are The whistles i actually use, (have at least 6 more around, among them a fabulous Generation Bb i can't find a.t.m.)
The oldest is the brass Generation with red tape around the mouthpiece (the tape is just to be able to find *my* whistles again at sessions :) ) it's from the late 60's
All whistles, except the Hammy Hamilton low D is at least 17 years old, they have all been fed mostly air and cared for... not much :oops:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1118766/IMG_4968.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1118766/IMG_4971.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1118766/IMG_4972.JPG

They are from left to right:
Clarke D
Nickel Generation C
Brass ----" ----- (late 60's vintage)
Hammy Hamilton low D
Eagle detachable D, bought in Dublin 1995
Clarke C
Brass Generation D, mouthpiece of unknown origin, probably my best D whistle..
And another Brass Generation C, hand picked in music store early 90's (they had like 16 of them and i tried them all and chose this one..
Contrary to their appearance i actually do rinse them occasionally with soapy water and Q-tip the mouthpiece/blade :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

killthemessenger wrote:
ecohawk wrote:being very careful around the blade edge, which I don't oil
The labium needs oiling as much if not more than anywhere else, because that's where the stream of moist air impacts the end grain of the wood in a very thin section. Most recorder care manuals (not that I have a huge collection) will recommend oiling it.
Don't over do it oiling that thin blade. It can easily get saturated which sometimes warps it or softens the wood. Over oiling in general is not necessary. Let the whistle dry for a day or two before oiling, then apply a thin film. After about 10 minutes, you can swab out the excess.

I definitely do NOT recommend actually washing wooden whistles. Swab them out after playing, and keep them in a ventilated case.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
killthemessenger

brewerpaul wrote:I definitely do NOT recommend actually washing wooden whistles.
I'll admit it was a big surprise to me when I came across this advice on the Tom Prescott site - advice I have never needed to follow! However I assume Prescott knows his business.

One advantage of the recorder design is that it is easy to remove and replace the block because of the upstand, so you have much better accesss to the bore for maintenance, and also to the windway roof and the block itself. With whistles this would be a risky business since you can't easily locate the block at the right angle in the headjoint. And some makers seem to glue their blocks in place anyway.

Oiling itself is a hotly disputed topic - I recall one baroque flute site recommending that the bore always be oiled before playing and swabbed out thoroughly afterwards. But that would be more to do with tone than maintenance. Personally I oil my instruments when I remember to - a couple of times a year.

I think the dangers of oiling are more related to build up of waxy deposits than any damage caused by actual penetration of the wood, which is pretty minimal.
The torture never stops.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

killthemessenger wrote: I think the dangers of oiling are more related to build up of waxy deposits than any damage caused by actual penetration of the wood, which is pretty minimal.
Depends partly on what kind of wood is used. On some of the woods I've used, my initial in-shop oiling definitely and visibly penetrates through and through within a day or two. On the very thin blade, oil easily penetrates. In fact, for some of the more porous woods, I tend to coat the blade with cyanoacrylate glue inside and out to prevent it's deforming from excess moisture and/or oil. I just did a repair on a 6 year old Birdseye Maple whistle where the blade was so warped as to make the whistle unplayable, although I can't say if this was from oiling or breath moisture. I rebored the whole whistle, reshaped the blade and coated it with CA glue and all was well.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
killthemessenger

I'm sure you're right - I was thinking of woods like grenadilla and rosewood.
The torture never stops.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Every recorder book I have ever seen (and I have a lot of them) says you NEVER EVER get oil on the labium (or the windway). What you want the airstream to do is form a laminar layer over a surface moisture film. Oil the labium and the surface film can't form - it breaks up into droplets, which have the same aerodynamic effect as if the wood was breaking up into splinters.
killthemessenger

Well, a quick search on google shows some variety of opinion on this topic, but there seems to be a majority view (from mostly industrial and craftsman makers' sites) that the labium should be oiled. I do it myself and haven't experienced any harm from it. But I make no claim to authority. I only have three or four books about the recorder.

I think the key is not to oil too frequently, whatever else you do.
The torture never stops.