Sweetheart Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Austy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Sweetheart Whistles

Post by Austy »

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. My name's Aaron, and I live in Australia :)

I was born here in this fine country, but my heritage is Irish. At the age of 24, I've decided I'd like to learn how to play the whistle.

I've had a listen to quite a few online. I like the sound of the sweetheart rosewood low D.

So - what is the general consensus on this whistle? Are there any others around the same price range that I should give serious consideration to? What are people's experience with them? Pro's? Con's? Is the company good to deal with (i.e. shipping times etc)?

I know that many might recommend that I start with something cheaper (i.e. go and buy a $20 one and try it on for size). I've played guitar and piano for many years, and understand that a good instrument is not something that can be churned out of a machine at a hundred miles an hour!

Many Thanks In Advance.

Aaron.
Kypfer

Re: Sweetheart Whistles

Post by Kypfer »

and understand that a good instrument is not something that can be churned out of a machine at a hundred miles an hour
... may be true of guitars, pianos etc that are traditionally made from organic materials and require very many assembly procedures, but for something as mechanically simple as a whistle or similar, this is not necessarily the case. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PUYNcuVRAw for an idea of what is possible.

I don't deny that advanced instruments can still benefit from "the human touch", but a very good whistle can be produced very cheaply.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Welcome Aaron. You've come to the right place for whistle information.

You should get a lot of opinions on this topic but searching the forum some should answer some of your questions. I have no opinion on that specific whistle. The only Sweetheart whistle I own is a Pro Delrin High D. It is a really fine instrument and they are good folks to deal with. Their low whistles don't seem to get much press here except for the Onyx which is an excellent instrument.

Searching the forum will lead you to one conclusion, of that I'm certain. There are many good to excellent whistles in various price ranges. It's that "good" term that will cause trouble because much of this is up to your personal preference and skill-set and the type of music you intend to play. It's not enough to say "Irish" music and expect major agreement on a good whistle. And you're inquiring about a low D whistle. While there are not many cheaply produced low D whistles that are "very good", some are fine to learn on and will serve you well for quite a while.

The following is my personal opinion based solely on my own experience. YMMV.

I'd have to first ask why you want to start on a low D whistle? Learning Irish music and whistle playing in particular is much easier on a more traditional instrument. You will not only have to deal with the physical requirements, finger stretch/placement, breath requirements etc., but timing is very difficult to learn on a low whistle. I'd suggest you try a high whistle first, then move on to a low whistle when you become more proficient. I bought a Low D at the same time I bought my first high D whistles and had a terrible and really frustrating time with it. Now that I've become pretty good with the higher ranges, I have found that low whistles are far more approachable.

To answer your question about price and comparability, most of the really fine low D whistles fit that range since this is one of the most expensive commonly available. Burke, MK, Goldie are extraordinary whistles priced similarly or less. There are others but those come to mind quickly.

Good luck,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I think you'll find a high D a lot easier at first since the finger stretch is so easy.
That said, I have a Sweetheart Resonance Low D in Dymondwood that I really love. It has a great flute-like sound and of all of the low D whistles I've played, it's the easiest to finger.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Austy

Post by Austy »

Many thanks for all advice given. Food for thought.

Does anyone know what The Fureys play?

Can anyone recommend any decent High D whistles? (purchase well, purchase once)

Cheers,
Aaron.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Austy wrote:Can anyone recommend any decent High D whistles? (purchase well, purchase once)
I don't think you'd regret getting a Goldie high D. I'd also recommend Fred Rose. Both excellent whistles with a concentrated, not breathy sound. Another excellent whistle I have some experience with is the Ormiston high D - breathier and requires more playing into tune than the other two, but a great whistle. With the exception of the Goldie, waiting times are long.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Austy

Post by Austy »

killthemessenger wrote:I don't think you'd regret getting a Goldie high D. I'd also recommend Fred Rose. Both excellent whistles with a concentrated, not breathy sound. Another excellent whistle I have some experience with is the Ormiston high D - breathier and requires more playing into tune than the other two, but a great whistle. With the exception of the Goldie, waiting times are long.
Thanks :) I have emailed the abovementioned, with regards to availability, postage costs etc.

I do like the sound of the Fred Rose in particular.

There's a company based in Tasmania, Australia, that import the Goldie's and onsell them. $300AUD. Or is it better to purchase straight from the maker?
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Austy wrote:Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. My name's Aaron, and I live in Australia :)

I was born here in this fine country, but my heritage is Irish. At the age of 24, I've decided I'd like to learn how to play the whistle.

I've had a listen to quite a few online. I like the sound of the sweetheart rosewood low D.

Aaron.
Hi Aaron,

They sound great online - I just wonder how they are to handle/play in the flesh (or wood rather).

Have you thought about the Mark Roza low D whistles? They are made in Australia. They sound fantastic and have a richness which makes rosewood sound a tad bright. I'm thinking about one of these, but I've decided I need to eat, rather than just acccumulate flutes :)
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Austy wrote:I do like the sound of the Fred Rose in particular.
If a Fred Rose is in your ballpark, you might also consider an Oz.
Oz Whistles High D - Review by Tony Hinnigan
Oz Whistles High D - Review by Phil Hardy
Keep in mind, some high end whistles will involve some wait time as it's being crafted for you.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

The Rose is a great whistle - I originally ordered one in August last year and it isn't ready for delivery yet, in the meantime I picked up a used one off this site. Waiting time for the Oz would seem to be similar.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Austy

Post by Austy »

JTC111 wrote:If a Fred Rose is in your ballpark, you might also consider an Oz.
Ok. So it seems I have an addiction here - without ever having my first fix?

The Oz's are beautiful - and I love the fact that they're made here in Australia.

I have emailed Mitch to enquire as to what his current waiting times are like.

To get me through my waiting time - can someone recommend a cheaper whistle (say, under $100) without a waiting period?

Cheers!

Aaron.

PS - damn the Oz's are beautiful.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Austy wrote:To get me through my waiting time - can someone recommend a cheaper whistle (say, under $100) without a waiting period
I'd strongly recommend a Mellow Dog D or a tweaked Generation D from Jerry Freeman. Approximately $35 US and an easy player with a good sound. Fine whistle to get started with.

You can reach him via jerry@tcenet.remove this spamblocker.net or through the Irish Whistle Shop or his E-bay shop.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Austy wrote:PS - damn the Oz's are beautiful.
And even more so in person. The finish on mine is nicer than on anything I own including the furniture. It really is as smooth as a new car and a joy to play. I own Copelands, an Overton, an MK, and a bunch of others but the Oz is my favorite. I'm likely going to order one in C before too long.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Austy

Post by Austy »

Thanks for the replies :)

Does anyone know if the Syn D/C/Eb sets on Mitch's website are readily available? Or is there a waiting time associated with these too?

Also - I've read a few reviews on the Syns and they generally seem very good. Thoughts?
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

For a low cost but very satisfactorily playable intro to low whistles, check out Guido Gonzato. For high ones, the Parks Everywhistle is excellent - the Bb, C D set would be a good investment for a beginner, even if you are also going to buy a decent wooden high D like the Rose or Oz.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads