Superb Rudall and Rose on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peter20p
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Superb Rudall and Rose on eBay

Post by peter20p »

This flute showed up on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I've never seen such an instrument. Top finished. It's not really my taste, but surely required craftmanship to make.
Peter
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Superb Rudall and Rose on eBay

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Terrible pictures, not even one of the left hand section, and doesn't show much of the holes. Looks like it has medium-small holes? From the 1830s?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I confess I find the keywork aesthetically busy.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jim stone wrote:I confess I find the keywork aesthetically busy.
Chased rather than chaste?
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

peter20p wrote:I've never seen such an instrument. Top finished. It's not really my taste, but surely required craftmanship to make.
Acanthus leaf model
Grinter flutes :
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

Peter Noy make a beautiful copy as well.....gold plated keys.......(a bit much for my taste, but it's striking).
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

What a beautiful flute! Peter Noy told me he cast his keys from the original Rudall that he had in his shop. I like the keywork, classic salt spoon clam shell design.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Anyone know why there are screws in the shared block for the C/C# foot keys? Can't say I've ever seen that before, I'm curious if it's a repair or a way to adjust the somehow. Also interesting is the fact that all the blocks have pins running through them, I wonder if any of them had popped off or they came with the flute.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:Anyone know why there are screws in the shared block for the C/C# foot keys? Can't say I've ever seen that before, I'm curious if it's a repair or a way to adjust the somehow. Also interesting is the fact that all the blocks have pins running through them, I wonder if any of them had popped off or they came with the flute.
The screws look like a bad repair, (maybe the winner will send it for a repair) :party: the silver pins in the blocks are stock, though they used steel most of the time.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Looks like a short head joint to me. Sugest anyone wanting to play at modern pitch checks it aginst Terry Mc Gee's flute size table to see what pitch it is.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

For someone with more knowledge/better eyesight than me: where's the tuning slide? I would have expected a double ring where the tuning slide would be, and I can only see single ones.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I need to have a better look at it - only browsed it via my phone yesterday.... (ok, have done - yep, poor photos) but the thing that stood out to me was the sounding length - 598mm. Assuming it is correct (and the vendor's blurb reads as that of someone who knows his stuff), that says Low Pitch! Not very surprising in a relatively early flute. Someone needs to quiz the vendor directly on that (done!).

Here's what I asked:
Hello. It really would be very helpful to have more and better photos! Some taken in decent ambient daylight, perhaps? Individual ones of each joint, perhaps from at least two sides, one showing the tuning slide extended or the barrel separate from the head....? If you can't add them to this listing, how about hosting them on e.g. Photobucket and posting a link here?
Also, some more info on pitch. I know you have given the sounding length of 598mm. That suggests to me this flute is not playable as high as A=440. Could you comment on its playing pitch? If you can measure it, what Hz value do you get for A with the slide open about 1/3 (10-15mm) of its potential extension? It would also be helpful to have the overall assembled length and the C#-Eb length - from the centre of the top open tone-hole (L1) to the centre of the cup of the Eb key with that aligned with the finger-holes.
Lovely flute - hope it does well for you.

It is very beautiful! I suspect the pitch issue may have something to do with the realistic starting price. If I'm right, this is not a modern ITM usable flute, which of course significantly restricts its market and perhaps, therefore, its value. However, it may be of greater interest to period instrument players than most R&Rs if it plays c420 and is certainly of greater interest to collectors given the fancy furniture. A pity if it weren't to be played, though!

NB, he's only willing to sell/post within GB!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:For someone with more knowledge/better eyesight than me: where's the tuning slide? I would have expected a double ring where the tuning slide would be, and I can only see single ones.
Darned if I can tell - the photos are inadequate, and I hope they update with more. Description says there IS a tuning slide, and that the head is lined.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:For someone with more knowledge/better eyesight than me: where's the tuning slide? I would have expected a double ring where the tuning slide would be, and I can only see single ones.
One cannot see it on the current photos, sure, but I'd lay odds there are rings both ends of the head but no upper ring on the barrel - probably due to the weight/thickness (cost?) etc. of the rings. Two of them adjacent would be too too much! It isn't all that unusual to find flutes with no upper barrel ring or maybe something like a narrow plain band for reinforcement which actually disappears under the fat decorative one on the head when the slide is full closed. I would not doubt the vendor's statement that there is a slide......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
peter20p
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by peter20p »

The seller confirmed to me that he only ships to UK. I asked for more pics but he didn't answer to this.
Peter