How many whistles do you own?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Including whistles that are on the way, I just counted 43 but I might have missed a Susato or two. I won't list them.

I play in a lot of different styles and contexts so I really only have two or three I play in most keys. More high and low D and high C though.

The only cheapies I like are Clarkes. I like all the high end whistles I have: Overtons, Burkes, Copelands, Sindts. On the way: Grinter, Abells, Reyburn, Busman. I'd be very surprised if I don't like all of these. I don't have a favourite sound: I tend to find something to like in any well made, distinctive, whistle. I don't buy whistles unless I've researched them and like what I read. I had a very good idea of what I was getting with each high-end I've ordered so far and I haven't had any unpleasant surprises.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2003-02-23 13:22, Wombat wrote:
Including whistles that are on the way, I just counted 43 but I might have missed a Susato or two. I won't list them.
Brace yourself Wombat, the SADS (Susato Anti-Defamation Society) will be along soon to getcha! I never say stuff like that any more - I'd rather post on religion than risk the concentrated displeasure of SADS.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I think I'm down to 9 whistles now, not counting the ones I've given to my kids. An Overton, 3 Dixons, 2 Clarke Originals (one Larson tweaked), a meg, a Waltons and a LBW/Feadog hybrid. Then there are the 5 fifes, 2 drums, flute and accordian. My wife's guitars, son's clarinet...

Every corner of the house has some kind of noisemaker in it.

Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jim, what kind of Bodhran is that? :wink:

(oi, my spelling!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paul on 2003-02-23 22:54 ]</font>
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I don't know, but after today I have one less. I gave my sister my Walton's LBW, and after 30 minutes of trying it out, she was starting to sound pretty good! In about 3 or 4 months, she'll be able to kick my bew-tox! :grin:
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I. My favorite whistles:

Burke Brass Pro Session D
Burke Brass Pro Narrow Bore D
Susato VSB D
O'Briain Improved Eb

II. Not my favorites (for one reason or another) but good-playing whistles:

Burke Aluminum Pro Narrow Bore D
Burke Wide Bore Brass D
Susato SB D
Susato SB Bb
O'Briain Improved D
Sweetone D (natural)
Feadog D (brass)
Generation D (green top brass)

III. A few inferior whistles and botched tweaks, not worth listing.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

On 2003-02-23 22:27, Paul wrote:
Jim, what kind of Bodhran is that? :wink:

(oi, my spelling!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paul on 2003-02-23 22:54 ]</font>
Hah! It's actually closer to a Lambeg drum than a bodhran.

Really, it's a rope-tension rudimental bass drum, made by the Cooperman Fife and Drum Company. Number 422, to be precise. In a pure coincidence, I also own number 22, which I bought about 20 years earlier!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've got a set of Asarkars, a Clarke, a Sweetone, 3 Hoovers (one of which is a tabor pipe), a Jubilee bagwhistle, and a maple whistle made by Adler.
Reasonable person
Walden
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I haven't purchased any whistles in the last couple of months since the last time we did this kind of thread. So the number must still be around 41. I didn't look, but I wonder if Jeesie showed her impressive whistle collection, again. (I should have copied it to use as my computer background screen.) JP
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I've been playing for about 9 months and I have not waded into the high end whistle pool yet. I got a Dixon 6 weeks ago and it is holding off any symptoms of WhOA, I hope until after our trip to Ireland in May. Here's my collection

Generation: D brass, C and Bb nickel
Feadog D brass
Clare D
Walton LBW D
Sweetone D
Meg D (OK) and C (abominable)
2 Oak Ds one poison, one with a LBW head
Susato Kildare D. I am afraid I'll get a hernia playing it.
Dixon D Brass Slide (as noted above)
Mike
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

Very cool signature Walden :smile:
Life is good. Hard, but good.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Being a collector of many instruments, I'm now up to 90 whistles!
How many do I play? Only about 7 of them.

~Larry
BrianB

Post by BrianB »

Clark Original D w/diamonds
Sweetone D
Walton's Mellow D
Walton's D
Generation Tabor Pipe
Generation G
Yamaha 321 (oh wait that's a tuba)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-23 19:40, Chuck_Clark wrote:

Brace yourself Wombat, the SADS (Susato Anti-Defamation Society) will be along soon to getcha! I never say stuff like that any more - I'd rather post on religion than risk the concentrated displeasure of SADS.
Well, I've not seen or played a Susato, but you may be right.<table BORDER COLS=1 WIDTH="500" BGCOLOR="#006600" >
<tr>
<td><b><font color="#FFFFFF"><font size=+4>S•A•D•S</font></font></b>
<br><font color="#99FF99"><font size=+1>The Susato® Anti-Defamation Society</font></font>
<br>
<hr WIDTH="100%"><br><center><table BORDER CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 COLS=1 WIDTH="90%" BGCOLOR="#000000" >
<tr ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=CENTER>
<td><font size=-2><font color="#000000">-------]</font><font color="#FFFFFF">|]</font><font color="#000000">•--------------------------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font><font color="#000000"><font size=-2>-------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font><font color="#000000"><font size=-2>-------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font><font color="#000000"><font size=-2>-------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font><font color="#000000"><font size=-2>-------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font><font color="#000000"><font size=-2>-------</font></font><font color="#FFFFFF">•</font></td>
</tr>
</table></center>

<div align=right><i><font color="#FFFFFF"><font size=+2>"Because Susatos® are whistles too."</font></font></i></div>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
Reasonable person
Walden
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Lessee...

First was a black Clarke D with diamonds
then a Feadog D
then a Susato D
then a Clarke unpainted D
and a Chris Abell D
then my car (with the two Clarkes in it) got stolen, so I bought...
another Clarke D unpainted
a Sweetone D, black head and unpainted body

My car was recovered, the thieves did NOT steal my whistles or my black plastic Cooperman fife that also lives in the car.

So that makes 7 whistles... so far. I resisted buying an Oak. I played two lovely high end D metal whistles but have no idea what they were. One brass, one silver colored. One of them may be my next purchase. I also played a lovely low F whistle, which may be my first foray out of the realm of D.

I also have 2 good Bb fifes and an Irish flute.

Conley, why do you keep a whistle that tastes bad and stings? But maybe you can't explain it any better than I can explain why I still have my Yamaha plastic C fife. It is a monstrosity and a total outcast.

madfifer9
and no, I do not know who the first 8 madfifers were
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!