Anyone know of a whistle shop in Amsterdam?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone know of a whistle shop in Amsterdam?

Post by DrPhill »

Hi all,

A relative of mine would like to buy a whistle - probably a Dixon Trad would suit. She lives in Amsterdam. Could anyone reccomend a shop she could go to? She has not played whistle before, but heard me and thought she would like to try - and at 90y old thats quite adventurous!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
wizzywig

Re: Anyone know of a whistle shop in Amsterdam?

Post by wizzywig »

Berkel & Hampe Music in SPIU.
wizz
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thank you wizzywig. That is easy for her to find. Do you know if they stock something reliable like a Dixon Trad? If not I would hate for her to get a rare dodgy gen :D .
Phill

Folk312
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Folk312 »

The store Wizzywig recommended is your best bet. However the street is called Spui, not SPIU. Their website is http://www.berkelmuziek.nl

There is a music store on Raadhuisstraat 43 called Muller Muziek (http://www.mullermuziek.com). Last time I was there, about a year ago, they had a box of Generation whistles.
Otherwise, this Dutch online store sells Trads: http://www.celticshop.nl. I'd call first to ask it they ship their products by TNT post. That way, if your friend is not home, she can always pick it up at the post office.

I bought my Trad I from Heritage Music (http://www.heritage-music.net). I've bought several whistles from them since then and they always arrive. As long as your product cost less than €35 you don't need to pay import tax on products from outside the EU.

An other option for a beginners whistle is one from Guido. I ordered mine recently and really enjoy it. I prefer the rounded sound of a GG whistle for practicing to sound of the Trad.

Good luck,
Folkert
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks Folk312.

A bricks-and-mortar shop is probably best as Anke is only just learning to use a computer - sending her shopping is a bit ahead of her game. I was suprised when she asked about learning whistle but she she is remarkable for her age.

She recognised the address - easy for her to get to. I pulled up the websitem but could not find stock details. A generation would be good enough if she did not get a 'bad one'. If the worst comes to the worst I can get one sent from Big Whistle for a tad under £20, but she will insist on paying me, and that gets dificult.

And anyway - she needs to know where to go in case she gets WhOAD :D
Phill

dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

^ not "if", but "when"
you cannot escape the WHOa...
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

maybe buy her one and mail it to her?

www.tuxedomusic.com