30 years in the instrument making business

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

30 years in the instrument making business

Post by Casey Burns »

So I've been doing a bit of personal archeology. Thought that this year was my 30th year in the flute business. It isn't, it turns out. But it is my 30th year in the instrument business. I made my first flute in 1982.

I started in 1981, by making some tools for myself using my woodstove and a chunk of railroad iron as my forge, to the horror of my housemates. This caught the attention of a friend of mine who wanted me to make her a Mirecourt style soundpost setter for her violin making. These hadn't been made since the late 19th century. I went and measured some at a local violin shop and produced one, which caught the attention of all the luthiers in Portland. Pretty soon I had a small business making violin making tools. This gave me an excuse to hang out in violin making workshops, and it was at one of these that I met an oboe maker in the spring of 1982. He put me to work making the simple brass keys for his Baroque oboes. Eventually I asked him to teach me how to make a flute which he did in a one day workshop Sept 15, 1982. That October a friend loaned me a lathe and I was off on my career of endless flute making.

Am in the process of putting a history together about this, which I'll probably post on my website this fall or winter. If you have a flute made by me in the 80s or 90s (or any other type of wind instrument) please send me pictures, approx date of purchase, etc. I didn't keep track of this data, much. These can be emailed to me at caseyburnsflutes@gmail.com . Thanks!

Casey
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 30 years in the instrument making business

Post by Doug_Tipple »

It's funny how you sometimes approach a major aspect of your life through the side door.
kmag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Congratulations Casey
I have never played one of your flutes that I didn't like. I even remember your early ones out of mountain mahogany. Thank you for 30 great years and here is to 30 more.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Congratulations Casey. May you always have all the work you want, and may that work always be satisfying.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

kmag wrote:Congratulations Casey
I have never played one of your flutes that I didn't like. I even remember your early ones out of mountain mahogany. Thank you for 30 great years and here is to 30 more.

Mountain Mahogany = ? :-?
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Yes, congratulations Casey - what a rewarding and satisfying feeling. Your efforts and products have brought happiness to many, many people. That is a great accomplishment.

I've spent 30 years in the "information mines" and have made lots of data products, but only brought something like happiness to a few chief executive types with some decision support data. So now I play flute too and look for the happy places. Your view of 30 years is looking really good. All the best,
Lewis
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Kudos, Casey. Image
toughknot wrote:Mountain Mahogany = ?
Cercocarpus montanus is a species indigenous to the American northwest. Not a true mahogany but has a similar reddish brown color. Turns beautifully.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Thanks for the kudos everyone!

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Mountain Mahogany is related to the apple, and grows in SE Oregon, southern Idaho, Utah and Nevada. Its one of the heaviest woods in North America, and is extremely fine grained, more so than Boxwood. It has a nice tan color resembling aged boxwood. The early settlers encountered it and due to its hardness, thought it was a Mahogany or an Ironwood. Another name was Hardtack. Deer browse on the shoots so the BLM used to burn the trees above ground. Its hard to get, since nobody out there is cutting it for woodworking presently. If the woods I currently use ever become unobtainable, I would go out and find some Mountain Mahogany myself although that would be a lot of work. It eats chainsaw chains.

Casey
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I've always admired the people who had a life plan and followed it. I've always enjoyed the people who made the best of whatever happened. Congratulations.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I wouldn't say that this was planned.....
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I think you fall into the category of people I enjoy.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Cheers and a hundred more ( or as many as you like or need) on you!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

Hello Casey, I play one of yours and wouldn't play anything else. Thanks for the great work you do. I'll look forward to reading the online history.