Traveling with flutes, instruments in general...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JSCWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Former member of Texas bands Flashpoint, and The Here & Now.

Traveling with flutes, instruments in general...

Post by JSCWhistler »

Hello my fellow tooters...

I lurk around here a lot, but I'm terrible about actually being active in posts...

This coming July, I'll be headed to Cambridgeshire for the annual Burwell Bash week (for which I'm unimaginably excited!!!!), and I need some tips and suggestions about traveling.

For me, this will be the first time I'll even be on a plane, and will be flying from Texas over to the UK, which is a big stretch especially. As such, this is a very new experience for me, and I'll need to know everything I can.

What I'd like to know is what some of you (particularly if you're like me and have an ungodly amount of unorthodox looking flutes) might use for cases, and how airport security in the US and abroad seem to react to them?

I'll also be bringing a guitar, and have several bamboo and wooden flutes, plus some higher end metal whistles, and want to find some kind of hard case to take those on (preferably on the plane, unless you think it's safe to put in cargo).

Also, any preparation for stuff I should know before a stupid American (even worse Texan, God help us all) ventures out over the pond, fat, dumb and happy would be appreciated...........

So... mmyes, that was much rambling. I'm new to this, no?

Thanks!!!
-J

( The compulsory smiley face :D)
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Traveling with flutes, instruments in general...

Post by ducks »

I'll see you at the Burwell Bash ;)

re flutes: my method would be to wrap 'em well and put them in hold luggage. In a hard suitcase....
sophie
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

DFW is a good airport. I'd put it second to Atlanta, which is perhaps the best airport in the USA from a passenger perspective.

If it was me, I'd make my instrument selection as simple as possible, and pack it into a wheeled carry on bag with clothing for padding.

Are you checking the guitar? If you're thinking of taking it on, then rules vary by airline. Here's Delta's rule: "Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta operated flights1. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. If adequate space is not available, then the item must be checked and fees will apply."

Note the part I put in italics. If other people boarding before you use up the space in the wardrobe closet, then the guitar will have to go as luggage. Note that the guitar replaces your normal carry on, so you'd then be checking the flutes. If it was me, I'd probably rather check the guitar in one of those industrial strength cases -- and I wouldn't take one I couldn't replace.

Then again, if you don't have a super strength case, it might be cheaper to just buy a used guitar in England and sell it when you leave than to buy a case and pay the extra bag fee (both ways).
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

The guitar might be a problem - I'd check with the airline about their policy as they vary by airline. As to the flutes, I would carry them with me in my carry on baggage if I were you. I went to Ireland a couple of months ago and just had my flute in my backpack - no problems. I guess one question would be: why are you bringing so many instruments? It's just a chance to lose/break them. I would (and did, actually) bring a flute you can play well but can afford to lose. I brought my Copley delrin and a Parks Walkabout whistle. I love both, but both are replaceable, unlike my 1860-ish Wm Hall flute with a Gallagher headjoint! Are you planning on selling some or something?

At any rate, have fun!

Pat

[EDIT] Just noticed I cross-posted. Advice stays, though, and I like the idea of NOT shipping a guitar! Note that Delta allows one free bag (<= 50 lbs) on inter-continental trips.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

Hi,

Having traveled to Europe at Christmas, I would advise you not to check any instruments. My suitcase arrived in Rome
11 days after I did, so after this I will take ALL essentials in carry-on. I had completely given up on ever seeing my stuff
again. Do not trust airlines to deliver your checked bag in a timely manner! They might, and they might not!

Take whatever flutes/whistles you need in a sturdy carry-on case, and leave the guitar home...
especially if you plan to fly on United. This is a true story and United has been taking the flak ever since:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Have fun at Burwell! Lucky you!
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'll second Pat. Air travel is a pain, and international travel is much worse. If it were me, I'd take a flute and a couple of whistles in my carry-on, and nothing more. (That's what I'll be doing as I fly to Boston this week). Chances are you won't use most of the other stuff anyway, and the hassle of transporting them will FAR outweigh the benefits.

Learning to pack light is a necessary art form for international travellers! Have a blast!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
JSCWhistler
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Post by JSCWhistler »

My thoughts is that between my guitar and flutes, I'd be more comfortable with checking the guitar in other than the plane.
Might anybody know of any kind of hard case to be used for multiple flutes? I know people like Brian Finnegan (whom will be teaching at Burwell) have some such thing, as he has a crazy slew of things in there...

While it could make sense to buy a flute for this purpose, money's kind of tight anyhow, and I like having multiple instruments sometimes... And since I'm as much of a guitarist these days as I am a flute player, I'd love to have both with me.

Don't know for sure which I'll be flying on the trip home, but going I'll be traveling American Airlines.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

JSCWhistler wrote:My thoughts is that between my guitar and flutes, I'd be more comfortable with checking the guitar in
Something to consider...
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

JSCWhistler wrote:I know people like Brian Finnegan (whom will be teaching at Burwell) have some such thing, as he has a crazy slew of things in there...
Last time Brian was here, he was carrying everything - whistles and flutes - in a soft roll-up.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

JSCWhistler wrote:Might anybody know of any kind of hard case to be used for multiple flutes?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81288
walrii

Post by walrii »

Pipe Bender has you on the right track for a hard case,tho there's quite a bit of merriment in that thread. Go to Wal-Mart of Academy Sports and look in the hunting department. They have a variety of hard plastic gun cases that will carry whistles and similar instruments in style. The small pistol cases will carry quite a few whistles and a tenor recorder wil fit, if its' broken down. I got one a Wal-Mart for US$10.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
JSCWhistler

Post by JSCWhistler »

Never thought of a gun case, though wouldn't it be a little sketchy in security?...
Belgian_Waffle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

I haven't travelled with instruments but I have travelled a lot and the basic rule is : if you don't want to lose it, take it on board. The same goes for things you need shortly after you arrive.

I recently read a proud anouncement from an airline (I think it was KLM, a reputable airline) that stated they had reduced lost luggage to 11/1000. Translated : about 1% of all suitcases gets lost. That means if they're 350 of you an a plane, about 3 of the passengers will have to wait untill their luggage turns up in Hong Kong (Murphy's Law : your lost luggage always turns up in the airport the furthest away from the place you are).

On the plus side : about 98% of the lost luggage does eventually turn up. They didn't state when (or where)...
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

JSCWhistler wrote:Also, any preparation for stuff I should know before a stupid American (even worse Texan, God help us all) ventures out over the pond, fat, dumb and happy would be appreciated...........
Pretend to be Canadian :-)

I've only lost a case on a flight once, or rather it was my wife's case. Amongst other things, it contained a haggis, so goodness only knows what happened to it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

hoopy mike wrote:...it contained a haggis, so goodness only knows what happened to it.
"happened to it" before or after the flight?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.