which whistles do you still want AKA the santa clause thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I'd like to get one of those telescoping Laughing whistles - the sort that slides down into 1/3 of the normal length. Avanutria has one, and from the pics you can see how much she's played it.

My most carried whistle is a 2-piece Clare, but a Laughing would supplant it. Trouble is they're not cheap, and the postage to the UK puts it out of my range for now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2003-02-22 17:32 ]</font>
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I hadn't been able to put down my Hoover Whitecap for the first few weeks that I had it. Then I tried using the mouthpiece on other bodies and wound up ordering another mouthpiece to put on my Clare 2-piece.

Playing them both one after another, I think the combo whistle sounds a little fuller than the original whitecap. The brass tube has a little thicker wall than the original so that might have something to do with it.

I was never satisfied with the Clare 2-piece, but now I have a pocket whistle that sounds great.

I thought WHOA was under control, but my boss decided to give the department a little gift and passed around a memo that said "If you had an extra $20, what would you get that you don't need."

What kind of question is that for a whistler? I picked a Susato C that I'll get at the next staff meeting. Now I know that Whoa is under control. Except there are so many other keys.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

My big wish is a Pat O'Riordan Concert D-C set. My second big wish is a open friendly Irish session in a comfortable pub every Wednesday 5-10 minutes from my house.

Other whistle wishes are for an Overton Low-C and Bass-A; a Burke D Composite Session; and a Paul Busman D in Bocote or Blackwood.

Other non-whistle music wishs: The Olwell Blackwood keyless flute, which I got to try last fall. A Tripplett Lap Harp. A Fred Halpin heavy skinned 19" tunable bodran. A bridge adjustment on my Goya 12 string. And finally, Irish week at Swannona in NC and Irish week at Elkins in WV.

And I always wish that everyon gets to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Ummmmmmmmm.......... yeah, I want that, and that, and that, and thatone, and that one over there, and one of those, and these, and......

Yeah, pretty much anything I don't already own, and maybe 1 or 2 extra of some of them. :smile:

I'm trying to learn to play my low whistles faster and better, so I would REALLY like Low d,f,g,a, and a good Bb......just to play around with the different hole placements, sounds, etc.!

oh heck, basically...... yeah, that too. :grin:

"yes doctor I know, but just look at them!!!"
"Ah I see, well there is only one cure for your disorder... let us go aquire more whistles!"

edited: grahmatikal errers and addishunnel statements :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McHaffie on 2003-02-23 23:53 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I want an Abell African blackwood soprano D and a Busman cocobolo D. Then I think I'll be caught up.
Paul

Post by Paul »

***dream sequence***

Dream Weaver playing softly in background...

18K "green gold" Copeland soprano D

Synthetic sapphire (corundum) soprano D

:grin:

***end dream sequence***
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Well, I still need 4 more fifes and another drum, but as far as whistles go, I think my next purchase will be a Bleazy in D. Then Goldie Overtons in E flat and B flat (probably blue anodized).

Just in case Santa Claus is lurking, I'd also like a Mini Cooper S. Black or British racing green, with a fat white stripe.

Thank you.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just in case Santa Claus is lurking, I'd also like a Mini Cooper S. Black or British racing green, with a fat white stripe.

Thank you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-22 15:22, Redwolf wrote:
How long is BrewerPaul's waiting list these days...anyone know? Haven't seen him around here in a while. I'm debating putting in an order when I get my tax refund, calling it a very early birthday present, if the waiting list is quite long.

Redwolf
Redwolf, I think it depends on just what you want. About a couple of months I think if he's starting from scratch but you might get lucky. I ordered a rather 'special' whistle late last year which was going to take about a month. Unfortunately, Paul ran into problems—as you do form time to time working with wood— and he's making me another 'special' whistle. I think it will be ready some time in March.

I'm not certain of this though. I think he might have received lots of orders late last year from people wanting to get in before the price rise. Easy to find out though, just email him telling him what you'd like.

Oh, and since I'm here, what else would I like? I'd like a Goldie Overton near chromatic and a few more of Daniel's modal whistles. I'd like another good quality low Eb and a low C. Possibly Burke for both of these. I'd like an O'Riordan (or three), please. I'd like an Elfsong and a Hoover. I'd like a Sindt Eb. Oh, and I'd like to go on a diet—this display of greed is just getting depressing. :smile:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

O'Riordan concert (D/C)
Grinter A and low-F
Swayne (D/C)

Those are all on order

Burke low-G
Thin Weasel E

and the dream list:

Swayne low-D. If enough of us get together, maybe he'll make a batch.

Busman C. If enough of us get together, maybe Paul will do the R&D.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Believe it or not, as many as I already have, I'm not really lusting after any whistles right now. Once I found a couple I really liked, the need to get more just sorta died. I 'spect I'll eventually contact Mack to get on the list for a couple of Whitecaps, just because I'd like to get some use out of the Gen and Walton tubes, but I'm not in any great hurry.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Overton D, anodized maroon (On order)

Sindt C, G.

hrm...maybe a keyed R&R? But that's a flute, not a whistle, so not sure if it counts.

Aodhan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, I only have about 4 makes, and I'm open to about any. If anyone has any they'd like to give me, I'm reachable by Private Message. :smile:
Reasonable person
Walden
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Darn, Walden! Why didn't I think of that! :lol:

Tery

Edited for spelling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2003-02-25 20:13 ]</font>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-25 20:12, tkelly wrote:
Darn, Walden! Why didn't I think of that! :lol:

Tery

Edited for spelling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2003-02-25 20:13 ]</font>
It's not to late at all, Tery. Walden has made it very clear lately that he'd very much like a Susato. Now, here's your chance to do a bit of spring cleaning.