American slow airs?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: American slow airs?

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:By the way, is it me, or am I experiencing deja vu here? I'm sure we've been down this road before ...
Yes, I recall a detailed thread on AG that I was involved in.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Now this is interesting. And it cites some further sources for us. I haven't tracked down those other sources. I might. At some point.

All this article does for me, however, is to continue to flag up the uncertainties surrounding the origins of the tune. I don't think anybody knows for sure.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:Right now it seems like this is more of a question of origin rather than belonging. For tunes does it depend on a jus soli or a Jus sanguinis idea of nationality? To me it's like pizza, Naples might have invented it, but we co-opted it.
I've never been to the States. What's pizza like there? Is it like pizza in Naples? 'Cos pizza in Naples is out of this world. :love:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

benhall.1 wrote:... oh, and next time you watch the film "Amazing Grace" pay close attention to the second fiddle player in the string quartet. Especially his superb acting skills. :D
Was that you? For years now my wife and I have debated whether or not that guy was really playing or just faking it. He was though, no question, a superb actor. :wink:

I love that film, and am a huge Ioan Gruffudd fan. How cool to get to play onscreen in a film!

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Right now it seems like this is more of a question of origin rather than belonging. For tunes does it depend on a jus soli or a Jus sanguinis idea of nationality? To me it's like pizza, Naples might have invented it, but we co-opted it.
I've never been to the States. What's pizza like there? Is it like pizza in Naples? 'Cos pizza in Naples is out of this world. :love:
Did it have tomatoes? It's one of those new world fruits. Don't think we started making the things until the 40s, but now frozen pizzas and pizza chains are ubiquitous. Oh, and it's usually quantity over quality over here.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

As to the OP, how do laments compare to slow airs?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Jayhawk wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:... oh, and next time you watch the film "Amazing Grace" pay close attention to the second fiddle player in the string quartet. Especially his superb acting skills. :D
Was that you? For years now my wife and I have debated whether or not that guy was really playing or just faking it. He was though, no question, a superb actor. :wink:

I love that film, and am a huge Ioan Gruffudd fan. How cool to get to play onscreen in a film!

Eric
Yeah. It was absolutely freezing. Pouring with rain half the time too. And then you'd have to traipse back to the bloody make-up shed to get it fixed, which was about 2/3 of a mile there and 2/3 of a mile back. By which time, your make-up had run again. Grrr ... They did have make-up people stood around on set to sort of 'touch up' the make-up, but sometimes the rain was just too much, and they didn't want to miss a possible moment of filming.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Did it have tomatoes? It's one of those new world fruits. Don't think we started making the things until the 40s, but now frozen pizzas and pizza chains are ubiquitous. Oh, and it's usually quantity over quality over here.
Yeah, tomatoes are a new world fruit, aren't they? (South American, not US.) Mind, I think the Italians co-opted them a very long time ago. They were discussing them in print from the early part of the 16th century, and the earliest cookbook with tomatoes in it (anywhere in the world, that is) was published in 1692 in ... guess where? Naples!

:D
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

To be fair, we weren't a country yet.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep, SA.... what makes the Spanish the instigators!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:By the way, is it me, or am I experiencing deja vu here? I'm sure we've been down this road before ...
Yes, I recall a detailed thread on AG that I was involved in.
This one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68909

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:Yeah, tomatoes are a new world fruit, aren't they? (South American, not US.)
More like Meso-American (which would partly include the US), at least in terms of the vector of cultural transmission. That it was the Nahuatl word "tomatl" that was adopted with the fruit is a clue, as opposed to say the original Quechua / Aymará term (which I don't have handy).

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Tell you what, that old thread is a bit of an eye-opener. Have I really learned nothing in the intervening time? I mean, I'm saying exactly the same things. (With the same built-in flaws that people are either missing or kindly failing to attack. :wink: ) Told you I was having deja vu ...

As for tomatoes, my point was really just that they've been in Italy a long time. Longer than pizza I guess. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

benhall.1 wrote:Tell you what, that old thread is a bit of an eye-opener. Have I really learned nothing in the intervening time? I mean, I'm saying exactly the same things. (With the same built-in flaws that people are either missing or kindly failing to attack. :wink: ) Told you I was having deja vu ...

As for tomatoes, my point was really just that they've been in Italy a long time. Longer than pizza I guess. :)
Good grief! The things an enquiring mind can learn around here. You say one thing, check it out ... and ...

Pizza is much older than European use of tomatoes for cooking. It says so here.
Denny

Post by Denny »

my but we are having a busy day
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.