Advice/ help on starting a flute-making business

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
ftdevilliers
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Advice/ help on starting a flute-making business

Post by ftdevilliers »

Making Kena, Kenacho, Kaval, Ney and Floyara flutes has been my hobby for a number of years. Due to personal circumstances, I need to make money out of it for the sake of making a living.

I have started a webpage with quite catchy names and domain names, made posts on Facebook and submitted the website to several search engines.

But - no interest and I'm getting a bit worried.

Any hints or advice from anyone?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Advice/ help on starting a flute-making business

Post by plunk111 »

I'd say to put CP notices (including your website's address) here and on both the flute and whistle forums and then try to sell a few on eBay to get some exposure. Good luck!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

To be brutally frank, you're entering a fairly limited marketplace with some fairly esoteric instruments. You might want to consider expanding your product range to include something with a wider appeal, like a whistle or two (maybe in an obscure key). The basic technology should be reasonable similar, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Just thinking about it logically, more people are likely to search for a whistle in E, for example, than a reproduction ethnic flute, irrespective of how good the flute may be.

Not trying to be difficult, just a little pragmatic ... good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Pragmatic and frank advice is exactly what I need right now and I do appreciate it.

I would like to post my link on C&F, but I was under the impression that to do so would be against policy?
maki

Post by maki »

ftdevilliers wrote: I would like to post my link on C&F, but I was under the impression that to do so would be against policy?
Look here;

Policy on Commercial Posts
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10315&start=0

Good luck to you, in your endevors.
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Okay, here goes then:

This is a link to my flute-making website. Any comments on how to promote it or how to make it better will be welcomed.

Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone!

https://sites.google.com/site/francoiskenakenacho/home
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Some thoughts: if I were a prospective buyer I would like to see more detail about each separate kind of flute. Sound samples, pictures and videos would be a strong selling point. YouTube videos might also lead prospective customers to the site. I would also look for details on shipping and payment. Visa card, PayPal or what?

I also find the text a bit hard to read, on my screen the contrast between text and background is low.

But your flutes look interesting :)
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

I appreciate your comments.
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Thanks for everyone's advice. You are very helpful. I'm going to delete my current website and make a new one. Once it's up and running I'll post the link again for your comments.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest joining a local "crafters guild" and/or go to Ren Fairs, Rondezvous, craft and flea market events. You may find, as I did, that educating your customers as you sell will produce more results. Adding many more generic "keywords" to your site will acquire more hits as well.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Musicians tend to be followers.

Newbies (myself included) are more likely to buy an instrument that someone else plays.

Therefor, if I was going to want to start an instrument making business, my first order of business would be to make the acquaintance of some well known players, in hopes of getting a quotable endorsement.

And, as someone said, whistles appeal to a larger market, and more people are probably willing to drop some money to experiment.
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Thanks for all the help and good advice, everyone. I will definitely try to get a video on Youtube and a sound recording to post on the webpage itself. Concerning joining a crafters' guild - I'm afraid that I'm in the wrong part of the world for that idea to work (Africa) and the same goes for why a craft market won't really work.

Any suggestions for people to contact regarding a quotable quote/ reference? Perhaps I could, as a start, make a good flute/ whistle, send it off to some authority on the subject, get a certified letter from the person and post in on the website.

Thanks, everybody!
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Concerning a good name for the website.

In the end, I will be manufacturing Recorders/ recorder-style whistles, Kenacho flutes, Irish flutes and Kavals out of PVC.

Would a name like "PVC Folk Winds" work for a website? Might people actually type something like that into Google, because, I assume, that's how one would attract business in the first place?
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

ftdevilliers wrote:Concerning a good name for the website.

In the end, I will be manufacturing Recorders/ recorder-style whistles, Kenacho flutes, Irish flutes and Kavals out of PVC.

Would a name like "PVC Folk Winds" work for a website? Might people actually type something like that into Google, because, I assume, that's how one would attract business in the first place?

Hi there,

I appreciate how hard it must be for the modern craftsman to make a living!

Frankly, I think the sheer mention of the word 'PVC' makes me want to run a mile. I don't mind if it is synthetic, and if like Guo flutes, using composite materials, contribute to a huge advantage for outdoor playing, you should by all means, emphasise the benefits. But there is a perception amongst flutists and wind players, that wood is more traditional, or 'expensive' even. That myth might be wrong, but if that is the target market, for 'traditional flutes, like Kenacho, Irish flutes and Kavals .... then the marketing side of your work will need to improve.

If you wish to send flutes out for a review, I'm sure some of us would more than oblige. Although that might be a costly venture, it would generate internet interest. I presume you aren't working with a musician or artist to develop your instruments? That might be another way. Equally, just listing everything on eb*y would probably increase sales alone!

I suppose attracting business depends on your target market: the enthusiast? the serious amateur? the ensemble musician? or maybe the professional? I'm sure you can anchor the words 'pvc folk winds' into your webpage - that might get some views, but the long term strategy really relies on having a quality product that gets spread word of mouth....

Good luck!
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Thanks for the empathy.

Actually, getting someone to give a reference for a flute of mine, shouldn't be such a costly venture: It would basically require that I make a flute and send it via post to the person, wherever in the world that person might be. That person could write a reference in the form of a letter, perhaps, in PDF format, containing the person's contact details, and e-mail it to )me. So, whoever might be willing, could contact me via e-mail: f t d e v i l l i e r s (d0t) g m a i l (d0t) c o m [*address slightly modified for the sake of spambots].

It is after experimenting with many different kinds of materials (clear perspex, high impact plastic, IPS plastic, copper pipe and bamboo) that I have decided on PVC for the sake of it's loud and deep tone and good octave tuning that I have been able to achieve. From a purely practical point of view, PVC is a very workable material, considering that I do not have access to any power tools; I do everything by hand.

What do you suggest as a euphemism for PVC? Do you think "Folk Winds" is understandible enough, though?