what are the differences between a flute and an irish flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: what are the differences between a flute and an irish flute?

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Honestly?
No. An old timer down south told me that in jest. Might have to do with square dance callers that need to flap their jaw and stamp their foot, but I'm not sure. My understanding is "fiddle" is a broader term for bowed string thingy and violin means only violin (a taxonomy kind of thing).
Ah, right! I like taxonomy. I'm a splitter, personally, so fiddle is, to me, the same as violin. Quite specific. Other things are something else. :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It's like this:

What's the difference tween a flutist and a flautist?
Fifty dollars an hour.

With fiddles and violins there is one type of instrument which is related to in two different ways.
There are violinists and fiddlers and we naturally come to call the particular instruments they play
accordingly. This was Immanuel Kant's view in The Critique of Pure Horse Hair,
anyhow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here's a bit of a flip-flop: the Carnatic violin tradition. The majority of pics I've come across show a technique more or less similar to this:

Scroll resting on the foot, base resting at or below the collarbone, no chin rest. The young lady below would appear to be something of an anomaly in her use of a chin rest.

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Just for the sake of it some fiddling.

Poplar Bluff
Soldiers Joy
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon May 02, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh yeah. Loads of people play with the fiddle in that position. But he's still got a chin rest, hasn't he? Just ain't using it.

Now that, as I understand it, is an American technique which is, nowadays, copied by various people the world over, including back here in dear old Blighty, for reasons which completely elude me. They'll still normally play with fiddles with chin rests on 'em. Go figure.

Oh, and, btw, I reckon it's the same sort of motive makes people play fiddle with their hands halfway up the bow. And that would be a motive that I completely fail to understand.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Found while seeking clips of Sigiswald Kuijken (Bart's brother) who famously plays baroque fiddle/violin against his shoulder: beat/fathom this! (There are quite a few YT clips of him playing it!!!) I couldn't readily find a clip of him playing a normal violin very low against his upper arm, though I've seen pictures of him doing so, but here's a double treat - no chin or shoulder rest nor chin support of the fiddle to speak of...... (P.S the whole of The Musical Offering is available from the same YouTube source from that performance - wonderful!)
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:Found while seeking clips of Sigiswald Kuijken (Bart's brother) who famously plays baroque fiddle/violin against his shoulder: beat/fathom this! (There are quite a few YT clips of him playing it!!!)
Viola da spalla, eh? That's one strapping fiddle. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

A strapping fiddle indeed.

The "violin" in the second clip looked odd to me. I don't think it was either a modern size or shape. Doesn't look like any of mine anyway. But it does illustrate what I was saying above: a long time ago the things were played without chin rests. I guess those players are being "authentic".
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:Now that, as I understand it, is an American technique which is, nowadays, copied by various people the world over, including back here in dear old Blighty,
Really? That seems a bit odd to me. Can't say that I have seen it more than once in real life.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon May 02, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Oh yeah. Loads of people play with the fiddle in that position. But he's still got a chin rest, hasn't he? Just ain't using it.

Now that, as I understand it, is an American technique which is, nowadays, copied by various people the world over, including back here in dear old Blighty, for reasons which completely elude me. They'll still normally play with fiddles with chin rests on 'em. Go figure.
Comes on the fiddle from the shop, like, dunnit? Why take it off? I reckon that explains the Indian girl..... As long as it doesn't get in the way.....
benhall.1 wrote:Oh, and, btw, I reckon it's the same sort of motive makes people play fiddle with their hands halfway up the bow. And that would be a motive that I completely fail to understand.
Well, its relaxed, unstarchy, folksy, innit? "Authentically" untutored, not (as in anti-) Classical.
:twisted: :D
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:A strapping fiddle indeed.
...as in he's using a strap to hold it up, in that vid. Just in case anyone noticed that, and my pun as well. :)

I saw another pic of him holding it poised for playing but without a strap, though, too. Crazy.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Now that, as I understand it, is an American technique which is, nowadays, copied by various people the world over, including back here in dear old Blighty,
Really? That seems a bit odd to me. Can't say that I have seen it more than once in real life.
Ain't been to enough "Celtic Roots" festivals eh?

:)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

benhall.1 wrote: Oh, and, btw, I reckon it's the same sort of motive makes people play fiddle with their hands halfway up the bow. And that would be a motive that I completely fail to understand.
Unless you are a master of using the standard violin bow, most people find it easier to play fast (reels for 10 minutes at contra dance tempos, for example) by holding the bow above the frog to effectively shorten the bow. I've seen this done by skilled fiddlers, even those with classical training.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Ain't been to enough "Celtic Roots" festivals eh?

:)
Or met enough English would-be fiddlers - plenty of Morris types'll clutch the bow half way up etc. too.... and will tell you that is "the traditional way to do it" and be oh-so-proud of not doing it the "harder" Classical way.

But I'm sure someone once explained to me how the physics/mechanics of the thing makes the orthodox Classical way more efficient and gives more control for less effort - so forgive me, Doug, but I doubt your point.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:A strapping fiddle indeed.
...as in he's using a strap to hold it up, in that vid. Just in case anyone noticed that, and my pun as well. :)
Groan. Hard to miss!
Never explain..... or at least, not so soon!
(No subtlety, nor timing, these Merkins :poke: .... and now we're back to the "humour" thing..... :really: :o )

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums