which whistles do you still want AKA the santa clause thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tkelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tkelly »

Reading the thread on whistles people own, I found myself wondering which whistles those folks (or others!) still have on their wish lists. Mine have gotten pretty explicit over time. I have a vase full of inexpensive whistles, most of which see a little playing time on occasion. The whistles next to my comfy chair, though, the ones I play every day, are the 3 I'd been wanting for a long time and finally managed to buy or trade for:

a Hoover high D tuneable regular bore
Hoover high D tuneable narrow bore
Burke high D brass pro

I find there are still a few things on my wish list (other than different keys, which will have to wait):

I'd like to get a Rose high D. I'm pretty convinced that will be the wood whistle I'll love.

Hoover whitecap (or just the fipple from one, to try on the various bodies I have around here -- I know there's a whistle I'll love hidden in there).

Elfsong, high D or D/C set.

What's at the top of other folks' lists?

Tery

Edited to steal Z's idea and add santa to the title :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2003-02-22 14:16 ]</font>
serpent

Post by serpent »

Alba Low-D!
One of Cyfiawnder's low whistles, possibly a G.
Busman high D in any kind of wood!

serpent
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I very badly want a Busman. I'd love a wooden whistle, and I admire Paul's work greatly. That's going to be the goal for my birthday money this year.

Redwolf
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Dear Santa... I call in advance since I heard there may be some back-order delay from the manufacturer. Also, it leaves you some time to mortgage your sled and all them mooses, so you don't feel pressured.

I want--please--a Chris Abell "alto" Boehm-system flute* . Blackwood is fine I'm not snob, but please make the conical whistle head for it out of Purple Heart, with a pink ivory mouthpiece just for the accent, thank yoh.

*You all know it already, but this would qualify as "barytone" G for whistles.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Tery: Your desire for a Hoover Whitecap is well founded. It is an unassuming whistle that is truly a sleeper. I find its characteristics of easy playability, realistic wind requirement, relatively low price, spot-on intonation, and lack of any 'edge' to its sound, to add up to an instrument I find myself reaching for, time and time again...
Your bucks will be well spent.
Best.
Byll
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I want an O'Riordan. I still won't sound like Joanie, but a boy can dream, can't he?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

A recent flood of Copelands, O'Briains and WWs has soothed me. However, I am on Pat O'Riordan's waiting list and crave either Travelers (soprano D, Bflat) or a wood concert set made by him. I'd also probably want to try at some point a Serpent and perhaps another key of Elfsong.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

There are so many good whistles out there. My problem is there are things I have liked about every whistle I've picked up so far! :grin:

Right now a Busman is the first on my list. Then I would like to try out an Overton. I understand it's one of those you either love or not. Hoping to love it, if not, I'm sure it will find a home with someone. Tried out a Copeland... it's now on my wish list. Hoovers are nice, and I would like to get a few more Sindts. There are a lot of others... Burke, Elfsong, etc. that I would like to try. I guess my eventual goal is to have one I like in most keys from low D to high F. Several in my favorite/most used keys. It's just too bad my pocketbook can't keep up with my whistle wish list! Well, one whistle at a time I suppose. :smile:
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

This is easy. I want any whistle I don't already own! :grin: Which turns out to be just about any of them.

A.J.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Lets see...

Copeland low D
I would also like to do a Sindt/Generation fusion
abell pink ivory
any O'Riordan

And most of all, I want to get the Uilleann Pipes that I ordered From Andreas Rogge a few years ago. He advised that it would definitely be over 2 years (2yrs 5 mos so far) and I am OK with it. I am just dying to get my hands on them. I'm thinking it should be soon. **wringing hands and drooling** :wink:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

How long is BrewerPaul's waiting list these days...anyone know? Haven't seen him around here in a while. I'm debating putting in an order when I get my tax refund, calling it a very early birthday present, if the waiting list is quite long.

Redwolf
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

one of every kind I don't have. :lol:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The Copeland low D (brass) ordered just before Christmas -"come to Daddy!" :lol:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Wolf, I don't think his waiting list is too too long...he's progressing on mine, and keeps me up to date about it.

Right now...this very second, knowing that I have a 'try this and see' and a 'being made as we speak' on the way, I'm quite satisfied. On my list of must haves, though, is a Burke Al C. Maybe this summer.

My recent goal seems to have been to sample the entire range of soprano D's, and I admit that within the next few weeks I should have had pretty much everything worth trying, even if some have been loaners. I will not try an Oak, but that's my limit. I've found myself intrigued by wood, but fascinated by the range I've heard in brass. (Oh! I forgot Silkstone...haven't tried one of those for more than a few moments...it might make me like plastic....still on my list!)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I'm with Redwolf and Sunnywindo. I'd love a Busman. They're simply beautiful, and I really like the wide selection of woods to choose from. A Hoover would be great to have too, for quiet playing.
Then again, I'd also like a new kayak, a harp, some clothes for oncoming summer... :wink:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown