American slow airs?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: American slow airs?

Post by I.D.10-t »

NicoMoreno wrote:It should be pointed out that the term "slow air" is one that is fairly specifically used to mean the air of a song from the Sean Nos or English language traditional singing tradition from Ireland, or an instrumental tune played in that same style... So technically, no there are no "American" slow airs, since the singing traditions are different.
I just thought it was a slower aria/ayr/ayre.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... +Brigadoon

This is from the hit play, Brigadoon, and it's American pseudo-Scottish. Call it want you want, it's slow and it sounds
ravishing on the Irish flute.

By the way, the rendition on the video is in G, and you can simply play along on the flute.
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

NicoMoreno wrote:It should be pointed out that the term "slow air" is one that is fairly specifically used to mean the air of a song from the Sean Nos or English language traditional singing tradition from Ireland, or an instrumental tune played in that same style... So technically, no there are no "American" slow airs, since the singing traditions are different.
Yep, exactly. And the "slow" in Slow Air (Fionn Mall) doesn't really mean slow per se, but distinguishes goltraí and suantraí from geantraí in the 3-part traditional division of Irish music types.

Is there a Scottish slow air tradition? I think so, but that's a different question.

Actually, I think there might be a few American traditional vocal styles - Native American, Appalachian, blues - that could lend themselves to what might be called an American Slow Air style. But that's not what the OP is asking for. Phreddee is looking for American folk song melodies that can be played on the flute. Nothing wrong with that. They're not Slow Airs, though they may be airs that are slow. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi MTGuru

The Scottish tradition has a lovely selection of slow airs/laments

Have a listen to this one written by Phil Cunnningham and played by Duncan Chisholm (my favourite player of slow airs). Gentle Light that Wakes Me

Or McCrimmon's Lament the first tune in this set by Martyn Bennett.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thank you, David. :thumbsup:

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I.D.10-t wrote:I just thought it was a slower aria/ayr/ayre.
Many people think that "slow air" just means "slow tune", but it doesn't.

You'd be hard pressed to prove to me that it is an independently developed term in a tradition of music other than Irish Traditional Music (and the somewhat related styles, as in Scottish music) meaning something different from the definition I posted. People who use the term all seem to have heard of it in relation to ITM first, and then either use it correctly, or misunderstand what it is supposed to be used for.

The argument may be made that the term means whatever people use it for, but it still sticks in my craw that people use the term "decimate" to mean "completely destroy", so that argument isn't going to convince me!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's the Hare in a G String... and it's not an Irish Hare either.

My brain hurts

Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

jim stone wrote:http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... +Brigadoon

This is from the hit play, Brigadoon, and it's American pseudo-Scottish. Call it want you want, it's slow and it sounds
ravishing on the Irish flute.

By the way, the rendition on the video is in G, and you can simply play along on the flute.
Wow! Thanks for this, Jim - it's gorgeous. Can't wait to try playing along.

My kids did Brigadoon in school. Isabelle played Bonnie Jean and Claire was Harry Beaton (it was a girls' school). Thus,
I got to see one child married and the other carried in dead, all in one show. :o This is their least favourite of all
the shows they did in school, because the story is so far-fetched, I think. The Lerner & Loewe music can't be faulted.

The girl who sang Come to Me, Bend to Me was a very weak singer (the director's daughter :wink: ) so I had no idea
how great a song this is. Something's lacking when a soprano sings a guy's song anyway...
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Denny

Post by Denny »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There's the Hare in a G String... and it's not an Irish Hare either.

:shock: it's a bachair :shock:

I didn't want to disappoint ya Peter
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Brigadoon is my joint all-time favourite musical show. The other being Carousel. I find both stories equally believable.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And the "slow" in Slow Air (Fionn Mall) doesn't really mean slow per se, but distinguishes goltraí and suantraí from geantraí in the 3-part traditional division of Irish music types.
In all honesty, I don't think that division has seen any practical use since the middle ages or thereabouts.

I notice older players used to refer to 'air' and that could include many things, Boolavogue, Skibbereen, Moonlight in Mayo and all manner of song. Slow air seems to be used more for Sean Nos airs but it's not particularly well defined.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

BigDavy wrote:Hi MTGuru

The Scottish tradition has a lovely selection of slow airs/laments

Have a listen to this one written by Phil Cunnningham and played by Duncan Chisholm (my favourite player of slow airs). Gentle Light that Wakes Me

Or McCrimmon's Lament the first tune in this set by Martyn Bennett.

David
Speaking of the Scottish stuff, I've been totally groovin' on this simple tune for days, now, played by Aly Bain accompanied by a slew of others. It's called Bonaparte's Retreat, but it's not the tune as I've known it heretofore. Pardon me while I go hit "Replay". :)

The nice thing about this arrangement (beyond the playing), to me, is how the parent connection to the music of the American Deep South is pointed out.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:In all honesty, I don't think that division has seen any practical use since the middle ages or thereabouts.
Well, it's my theory and I'm stickin' to it. Forsooth. :P

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:In all honesty, I don't think that division has seen any practical use since the middle ages or thereabouts.
Well, it's my theory and I'm stickin' to it. Forsooth. :P
How come when I play the geantraí, it works on the audience like the suantraí, and on me like the goltraí?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician